Tutorial - Making Demo Charges

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Tutorial - Making Demo Charges

Tutorial - Making Demo Charges

Well you asked for it, so here goes. A tutorial on scratch building 1/6th scale Demo charges. We値l take this in two parts. First, the Explosive blocks and then the detonators. The usual warnings go along with this project. You will be using a small saw and a hobby knife so remember, 電on稚 run with sharp instruments in your hand, you値l put your eye out!

Part one Explosives. As you can see I used some paper wrappers I made up on the computer, cut to size. Basically each side of the block should be 1/4 by 1 シ long not counting the end flaps. If you don稚 want to make your own please check your favorite retailer for pre-made blocks. I got some made by 6th Scale Quartermaster from War-Toys.

But if you have to build your own, you will need some シ x シ basswood or balsa strip. Next get something to measure and cut it with, and some sort of spray adhesive. Cut 1 シ inch long pieces and glue them too your wrapper with the spray adhesive.

Part Two the detonators. Use your imagination. Since we are not building real explosives, you can use what you have learned from Hollywood. You will need some appropriate plastic or foam board sheet (I used .118 PVC foam board). Some wire of some sort. Some brass rod (if you are going to put a small antenna on the box). A hobby knife, some sandpaper, a pin vise (drill), some sort of punch ( I used a couple of leather tools to make my indentations to represent buttons or lights), and some glue. Go through your spare pars box and find anything that you can use. Here I found some German flares (that were cut down too look like batteries), a wrist watch (for a timer) and a cell phone.

I cut some appropriately small pieces of the foam board. Rounded off the edges. Glued on smaller pieces to give them depth and added pieces from the spare parts box to make them look like something electrical. Use your punches to add some definition, buttons or lights. Lastly, drill some holes and glue in your wire.

Next it痴 on to painting. You can get as detailed as you want. But the easy way is to paint the whole thing Flat Black. Then paint anything that will be a button or light with the Aluminum. Now weather the whole thing with a little of the silver in the Tamiya Weathering master kit. Last you go back and detail any lights (with the clear Tamiya colors) or buttons with a solid color.

Too put it all together, first glue your demo blocks together and add tape to make it look like they have been taped together. Glue on your detonator. Use your drill to poke a couple of small holes for your detonator wire and glue them in. Remember in 1/6th scale, most people will view your work at a show or hobby shop from several feet away. You are trying to give the impression of detail without killing yourself.

Good luck.
    "Fear no man and always do right"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You sir, ARE A GENIUS!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
    The Guilty shall be Bunnished.

Holy cow, what an impressive how to on the demo charges.
    An AK a day keeps the bad guys away.

My Trades/Wants List

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.
    <nods Nods nods> I agree whole hartedly.

extreme high order coolness.

Someone do a background check on this guy!
    If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail

This is wonderful! Now lets go blow something up!
    September 08, August 09

Damm, that's awesome!!! The detail is great too!!!
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

This is a great tutorial, thanks for the breakdown!
    We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker47 View Post
    To put it all together, first glue your demo blocks together and add tape to make it look like they have been taped together.
    Just a quick Q, what kind of tape did you use?
    We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams.

holy smokes... this is awesome...
    hey, i saw before explosive charges with taped dinamite. that would works too... could use some tube-thing painted red
    thanks a lot Tracker47, you are a genius

Seal team 6 Unregistered Guest
    lol Im gunna make a s**t load of these for a terrorist bunch i wanna do