Has anyone done a tutorial on how to make a bow and a crossbow

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Has anyone done a tutorial on how to make a bow and a crossbow

Has anyone done a tutorial on how to make a bow and a crossbow

Im interested in making my own bow and arrow set for a custom im making for green arrow and Bow from she-ra and a crossbow for my custome dc huntress year2 and Scarlett from gi joe.
    So anything would be usefull.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Has anyone done a tutorial on how to make a bow and a crossbow

I tried to do one from wood but it didn't went well, so I ended doing one with sculpey and a thin wire as base
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone done a tutorial on how to make a bow and a crossbow-pharaoh-jpg  
    Last edited by marmolskywalker; 04-27-2013 at 01:34.

Way back in the dark ages, I made a fairly convincing looking bow from Bamboo. This is suited for something shaped like an English Long Bow but not for a recurve.

The bow string was the hardest part to make but if you look at the ends of a real bowstring, you can get an idea of the proper appearance. I just used a little bit of extra string to "whip" the ends.

The trick is to start off with a good piece of bamboo and contour it a bit toward the ends. In other words, each of the limbs is tapered toward the end.

The arrows can be made of bamboo skewers which are quite cheap to get. The problem with bamboo arrows is that they warp a bit. I used paper for the fletching, but although it looked good in the beginning, it wasn't durable. I don't have a solution for that.

The bow will probably be too strong for an action figure to actually hold drawn though.

- Ivan.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

thanks man i'll do that

I made a longbow out of bamboo. The string is kite string, whipped at the ends. The cow-horn nocks at either end of the bow are made from Porcupine quills.

The bow is actually too short, so I've got some more bamboo and have started carving out a longer one.

I made the arrows from some metal rod, painted and paper fletching:
    Last edited by ActionMan; 09-06-2014 at 21:02.

I made mine from a wooden coffee stirrer that I soaked in hot water and formed into shape. It's a bit too small but not bad for a first attempt I think! The string is toothfloss of all things but seems to do the job pretty well.
    The arrows were all hand fletched with real feathers but I didn't have enough the right size so they're not as good as I'd have liked.

Skara - 1:6 scale Skytrim bash by Elrenia_Greenleaf, on Flickr

I've never made a crossbow before but I found a pretty good tutorial here.
    http://radtoyreview.com/2012/04/17/t...y-paul-benson/

Here's a bow I made to go with a custom Tarzan (so it's meant to look more primitive), but some of the methods I used could be used to make a higher tech bow as well...

I took a portion of stick the right size off a living tree (don't want to use dead wood because it may have rot). I let it soak til it got good and wet, then worked on shaping it slowly and patiently to the shape I wanted it to be. Then I used clamps, etc to keep it that shape (even a little more exaggerated since I figured some of it would give once unclamped) while it dried. After that I used sealer, then spray painted it to look the appropriate wood color, used chalk pastels over it to make it look even closer to the color I wanted. After that I used dullcoat to seal it all, used a wrap of leather around the handle part, found some string and colored it using acrylic paints watered way down to make it the color i wanted and "weathered", and tied the string into place, further weathering it once in place.

One could use a square wooden dowel like above. (I'm not an expert on types of wood, but try finding one you can saturate with water and then slowly shape as I did with the stick). Before shaping it, you could cut it to length, sand it so its thicker where you wish it to be (probably in the middle) and tapering to whatever degree you desire as it goes to the ends. After you have it shaped, you could use tape, clay, etc. to add any more details you wish to, and then go through painting and finishing process - it would be just as easy to make a modern looking bow this way, you'd just add some details going by a photo or your own design, and paint appropriately and finish with a semi-gloss, gloss, or flat finish (or combo) as appropriate.

Likewise I used hollow metal dowels (you can get them at any hobby shop in various mm diameters - photo above shows close up of the ends) for the arrows - and it would be easier than the process I did to make mine look like wood (you wouldn't need to use the chalk for one thing). I used craft feathers on mine - they are longer than I intended right now because I kind of like the wilder look... but I'm not an archer so I don't know if having the feather parts that long would interfere with actual function... if so I would cut them short to the "traditional" length. The arrow parts are painted toothpics, but I could as easily have sculpted some in clay or used any material I wished. The toothpics - once painted to resemble the rock colored material I wanted them to look like - served me just fine.

http://www.antiquelilac.com/bow--arrows---tutorial.html
    I made one using the shape she has and once the wire was shaped I wrapped it with leather. It works great with waxed thread as the string

Well i dont think it's to hard to make a recurve bow either.

One is bigger than 1/6 scale, but that does'nt matter !

All very useful info thanks everyone.

There was a link to a crossbow DIY project in Knives' Rad Toy Review's "The Workshop" thread. But here is the link THE WORKSHOP – Crossbow by Paul Benson | to the crossbow project.

If you're after something more medieval, I'll see about making a medieval style crossbow in the 1/6 scale. I normally make them full scale but it shouldn't be too hard to shrink.

I've made real hickory 1:6 long bows.

But, I make real longbows by commission so I'm familiar with the tiller and steps. It was a trip doing everything the same but perfectly 1:6 scale.

I also made a true flemish loop bowstring from b50 Dacron (just like the real ones).

I could do a tutorial if people seem interested.

This one is for sale on ebay (shameless plug). Pm me if you want details.

looks great, I'm interested in the tutorial!

Me too! Skara would definitely like an upgrade on her coffee stirrer bow!

Ok, I will document the next one I make. I'm trying to sell these... but they don't sell as well as 1:1 longbows. Not even close.