Making shoes and boots.

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Making shoes and boots.

Making shoes and boots.

Making shoes from leather :~

I wrote this tutorial a few years back for OSS , and since someone just asked about pirate boots, I thought I would post it here.
    I don't have much to add after a few more years experience since I wrote it except that you don't have to sew uppers to soles : glue can do the job well enough .

Miniature leatherwork does need a proper outfit of tools and materials : itís no use trying to do this with modern chrome leathers ( the shiny coloured ones used for most modern stuff , typically handbags ) and blunt knives .

You will need :

Thin( 2mm or less ) vegetable tanned leather (calf or goat ), from Rio Rondo ( nice leather , but very small pieces : you want the pale flesh-coloured stuff , not the coloured , which are chrome tan ;
    or other suppliers : I use Le Prevo , of Blackfriars , Stowell St., Newcastle NE1 4XN , who do an excellent mailorder service if you are in the UK . http://www.leprevo.co.uk/

Their vegtan goatskins , described sometimes as Morocco, are ideal for 1/6th , and not expensive. One will last you for years .

Linen thread , a little beeswax to rub on the thread to make it pull through holes smoothly, and suitable needles ( glovers needles which have a sharpened blade tip are often handy , from le Prevo ), and very sharp new knives : Scalpels are adequate in this scale .
    You will also need an awl to make holes with : I made mine by backing a largish needle into a suitable wooden handle , then grinding the tip to a sharp point .
    A cork tile is a really useful board to work on , since you can pin things to it , as you see in the following pics.
    Otherwise itís best to use a very smooth piece of MDF board or similar to work on when cutting leather .

The point about using vegtan leather is that itís plastic whilst wet : you can stretch it and shape it amazingly to make shoes and holsters . It also takes false stitching and decoration very well : itís the leather used for all tooled work in 1:1 , such as Western gunbelts and saddles . Chrome leathers cannot be shaped in this way : you can stitch them into flat items or cut straps from them satisfactorily , but beyond that they are useless.

To make shoes 1/6 succesfully you are following a simplified version of 1:1 shoemaking , but leaving out a layer ( the insole ) which makes things easier .

The first requirement is for a last ( or a pair of lasts to speed things up ) to mould your shoe around : I make mine from Sculpey , but an epoxy putty would do just as well if you donít have a suitable oven for the Sculpey.

You need to compare for size it to the foot of the figure you are dressing , and also to the shape of the particular style of shoe you are trying to make .

In this article Iím making mid-seventeenth century shoes for English Civil War figure , but the principles are much the same for later styles , ACW brogans for example .

The last needs to be big enough , and Iíve found itís wise to err on the larger side , since the leather will shrink very slightly on drying.
    Before the mid-19th century , shoes were ďstraights ď , that is , the same for both feet , and made on the same last : no wonder people had to break them in !
    You'll find that your figure has laft and right feet , so you have to make some accomodation for that when modelling the lasts ,

Here are my pair of Sculpey lasts : almost identical , with square toes .
    First use these to roughly mark out an oversize sole , and pin the sole to the board:

The cut the fronts of the uppers : the piece of leather should be roughly the shape shown :

Soak it in water , then , with a blunt tool ( I use a spatula ) gently work it to fit over the front of the last , taking particular care to get the ďweltĒ you are forming with the tool well under the bottom of the last : the further under you can get it , the better the fit of the shoe .

Leave to dry : the dry leather will stay in shape.
    Once dry , you can make stitch holes with your awl going through the upper and the sole :

Take a needle , with a waxed thread , and sew the upper and sole together . This can be a bit fiddly , but so long as you keep the holes matching , it should work out in the end . I use two needles ,
    saddle stitching as itís called , but you can go round and back with one needle if you prefer:

Wet the welt and burnish it all to shape again.
    Then the backs ( in the originals , the backs are actually in two pieces , but itís quite possible to make them in one in 1/6th ).
    Notice that the back is quite curved : this is essential to make it deep enough for the heel , yet tight enough at the top to lie close to the ankle.
    Repeat the procedure as with the front : the back slightly overlaps the front on each side:

You might want to add another layer to the sole : simply stick on ; the same for heels , which are stacked from as many pieces as you want :Here I've placed the sewn shoes on another layer to make the outer soles : once glued ( use any good glue : it could be white glue , or Bostik ) I'll trim round this and add the heels :

[ HISTORICAL NOTE : despite what you might think from countless
    ď medieval ď films , heels were not in use in Europe until 1600 : they come in almost exactly with the new century , probably after influence from Eastern Europe and ultimately the Turks , who seem to have been the first people to use them .
    Late medieval/ renaissance shoes did have attached , welted soles ( after about 1460 ) , and there was often a thickening lift towards the rear , but they never had separate heels until after 1600 ......
    Any European figure before 1600 WILL NOT HAVE HEELS ! ]

Dampen and burnish again , and your shoe is finished apart from the lace holes and colouring.
    Once you are happy with the shape , gently ease it off the last , and finish with a colour wash of acrylic , and some suitable laces:

Here are some more types I've made this way : Shoes from 1600 , with a raised but integral heel :

Some round-toed shoes from around 1630 :

And some ACW Brogans ( forgive the trouser legs ) :

GLUING instead of STITCHING :

Itís quite possible to use this method using a last , but substituting glue for the stitching ; but the leather will have to be really dry at each stage, or the glue wonít take on it . I havenít tried it myself , preferring the ď scale ď stitching ; and the finished item is going to be a little less strong if you use glue ; but Iím sure itís possible if you donít fancy the sewing .The stitching can be faked with the awl once the glue is dry : dampen the leather again and scribe the stitching into the leather .
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Once you have some vegtan leather ; all sorts of improvement to commercial items becomes possible . You are only limited by time and skill . Itís well worth replacing Pleather straps with the real thing , since it eliminates the woven backing which often shows with pleather items. You can make leather holsters as well .
    Vegtan likes acrylic paint , which it soaks up , so itís possible to turn it any colour you like ( experiment on a scrap first ); There are also a good range of spirit based leather dyes you can get from suppliers .You can use wax to get a shine after , or even use boot polish .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOOTS :
    The same technique can be used to make tall boots , for which you will need a full-height last , modelled in this pic in Sculpey again:

The pupose of the last is again to enable you to accurately shape each section before assembling it.
    Start with moulding the wet leather to make the foot , then the leg . You have to glue or stich the leg to the foot portion . Itís ESSENTIAL not to close the rear seam until you remove the last , or you will never get it out :

Once all the sections are joined , remove the last :

Using some other cylindrical object without a foot on it as an internal support , you can now either stitch or glue the rear seam ; here Iím butt-stitching the two edges together with a pair of gloverís needles threaded on the same thread : saddle stitching , in other words, but with the edges being brought together rather than overlapped. This is exactly how the real boots were made:

The finished boots , after staining with a spirit-based leather dye :

I also used an identical technique to add some legs to the DiD officerís boots , to make the Staff Officersí boot shown here . The gaiter leg was moulded on the last , then glued to the boot , then both boot and gaiter were painted with acrylics :

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Making shoes and boots.

What can I say! Total respect, Tony!

A1 - thanks for posting!...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

many thanks for the tutorial

Excellent !!
    SANDRO BRANDIAO

Wow! Ab-so-lute-ly Stunning!!
    It's a fabulous time to be collecting in 1/6th scale!

Wow, this is a fantastic tutorial! And a really great find for me since I'm in the process of making costumes, clothes and a diorama with a medieval-esque spin.
    Thanks so much for posting this.

Much respect is right !.....I was so hoping to find a tutorial on shoe making...now not sure I have the patience but it is on my list to try. Thank you for sharing !

This is what I have to do next.

We chimpanzees are too few. How can we take the iniative when THEY are in control?

wonderful shoes, thanks for sharing!

Magnificent! Truly these are works of art.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

That is Great, But I could NEVER do that...WOW

Thanks Tony , this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Tired of looking for the right shoe/boot, ordering and then hoping they look/fit right on my figure.

I'm so inspired by the work I see on here! Excellent job!