Oil Pastels ? Could use some help please

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Oil Pastels ? Could use some help please

Question Oil Pastels ? Could use some help please

I bought some oil pastels earlier today and i was wondering if these were the same things you guys use to weather your figures? they seem to be a cross between crayons and chalk? if these are the right ones to use for weathering, please shed some light and throw a couple of tips my way. thanks in advance.

One Shot out!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sawgunner is offline I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
    I suppose it's possible. But maybe you are looking for Pastel Chalks. I use pastel chalks on faces, weapons and mostly......the uniforms. On the faces after using them , seal them with a coating of Testors Dullcote. I like using them on uniforms, because if I mess up , I can wash the weathering out.
    This ain't no place for no hero.This ain't no place for no bitter man... - THE HEAVY

The oil pastels are NOT the ones you want. As SG mentioned, you want chalk pastels. Save your receipt?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip! I am glad i asked. I kinda thought they looked a bit like crayons.
    could you tell me the correct name to pick up. these were called oil pastels?
    One Shot out!

Pastel chalks...Got It! i'm headed to the Art Supply Store later today. Thanks Sawgunner.

Re: Oil Pastels ? Could use some help please

Quote Originally Posted by Sawgunner View Post
    I suppose it's possible. But maybe you are looking for Pastel Chalks. I use pastel chalks on faces, weapons and mostly......the uniforms. On the faces after using them , seal them with a coating of Testors Dullcote. I like using them on uniforms, because if I mess up , I can wash the weathering out.
    I am just starting to get interested in using chalks, is there any information/tutorials around on the application of pastels - I have seen them for heads - so i am assuming that the same would apply for hands, clothing ect..?? Idreamoftoshiba recently done a nice pair of hands - how about a tutorial Toshiba?
    Last edited by Gamilaroi; 06-28-2009 at 18:49.

Oil pastels can be used to make quite convincing camo-make up

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

Oil pastels are for your headsculpts' camo and maybe some weathering on clothes if you need a greasy/wet effect: oil on a mechanic's coveralls or dark, gooey blood on your zombie, or that nice decomposing look on its hanging innards.

You'll need to seal them, too or you risk smudging your work while messing everything and anything they come in contact with.

But the pastel "chalks" are the thing you want to/can use on EVERYTHING 1/6th for weathering, recoloring, toning-up (highlighting) or complete repaints. Remember you need to seal them or the dust will get smudged all over the surface and neighbouring objects.

Other than that, I don't have many tips to share that would add anything useful to the great tutorials already posted on this site.

Maybe I'll buy a couple of fugly head sculpts and do a step-by-step photo report in the near future, just to prove to myself that I'm not that rusty with the brushes... It's been a while since I indulged complete repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Txabier View Post

Oil pastels are for your headsculpts' camo and maybe some weathering on clothes if you need a greasy/wet effect: oil on a mechanic's coveralls or dark, gooey blood on your zombie, or that nice decomposing look on its hanging innards.

You'll need to seal them, too or you risk smudging your work while messing everything and anything they come in contact with.

But the pastel "chalks" are the thing you want to/can use on EVERYTHING 1/6th for weathering, recoloring, toning-up (highlighting) or complete repaints. Remember you need to seal them or the dust will get smudged all over the surface and neighbouring objects.

Other than that, I don't have many tips to share that would add anything useful to the great tutorials already posted on this site.

Maybe I'll buy a couple of fugly head sculpts and do a step-by-step photo report in the near future, just to prove to myself that I'm not that rusty with the brushes... It's been a while since I indulged complete repaints.
    Thanks for the reply - I suppose i am looking at making the hands on my figures look more realstic - I think the veins and such in the hands really add that something needed on figures without gloves.

Hi,

I have just found this topic, so i am wondering if these links would help?

Here i have used the chalk pastels to get a dusty look to the uniforms.

Chalk Pastels - http://www.johkaz.co.uk/dusty.html

With the oil pastels i have used them to get a more in-grained dirty look to the uniform.

Oil Pastels - http://www.johkaz.co.uk/russian.html

Oil Pastels - http://www.johkaz.co.uk/Germans3.html#smock

Oil & Chalk Pastels - http://www.johkaz.co.uk/Germans4.html#smoc

Gary