Andy Warhol's Arse (formerly Substitute for Medicom RAH 301 body?)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Andy Warhol's Arse (formerly Substitute for Medicom RAH 301 body?)

Andy Warhol's Arse (formerly Substitute for Medicom RAH 301 body?)

Hi - I've posted on OSW before, but not for a while, so I'll re-introduce myself. I buy mostly Ancient historical figures and Henshin Cyborg/Walder type figures, and sometimes I do mini customizations, like a little repainting or dying.

I just bought a couple of unopened Medicom Andy Warhol Figures, which were painfully expensive, and one of the figures came with a leg snapped off at the a$$.

(apologies for the crappy photos, I finally got a new digital camera, and then I dropped it, and I'm waiting on a new part to fic it! Not my week!)

If you guys have expereince with them, you may know that Medicom RAH bodies suck. Their design is super articulated, but structurally weak, and occasionally the plastics aren't even good. My Mach Roid figure came with both legs broken, and I had to fix him with computer screws and a drill. the 8" RAH 220 bodies constrantly crack off at the arse.

(Mach Roid is the red shooto boxer on the right)

The seller (who's a collector, not a store) said he'll ship me a new body for free, but I'll have to pay for the body at cost. I'd rather not buy a new RAH body since they're $30, and they suck, plus it won't match Andy's hands or head since the standard RAH body is darker than the super pale warhol.

Does anyone know of a good substitute? Something that I can get in a pale white version? THe real problem is the Medicom hands. Again a really crappy photo, which is too bad because it's a great detailed sculpture with veins and even "fortune teller" lines in the palm of the hand, but as you can see the peg is huge and won't fit on DML or most other bodies I can think of. ANy ideas? I'd rather do as little work as possible if I have to modify something.

Thanks!
    Last edited by johnnyhaggis; 01-20-2006 at 22:48.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hmm - two other questions - is it "illegal" to double post? I posted this here and then I figured maybe it was more appropriate for the general forum. If it is bad to double post, how do I delete my post? I know how to edit, but there seems to be no delete funciton.

... I'll have to pay for the body at cost. I'd rather not buy a new RAH body since they're $30
    Don't let that dealer fool you; 30$ is hardly at cost when the bodies are 20$ at Hobbylink Japan.

plus it won't match Andy's hands or head since the standard RAH body is darker than the super pale warhol.
    The two RAH bodies I bought are incredibly pale, too, and should about match your Warhol. Maybe the colour is as hit and miss as the quality. I have nothing but praise for the two RAH bodies I have. I wish I had more, but they are ****** expensive, and frankly, if I order two at HLJ they come out at 30$ each *including* shipping.

Alternatives: Radically trim down a Dragon or BBI body. I doubt if there is another body that is as small and delicate as the Medicom one. In The Past Toys used a short body for their Japanese paras and sailors, but while being about the same height as an RAH it is not particularly well-articulated, and badly proportioned. It is also a lot stockier than the RAH body, so I doubt if Medicom clothes will fit.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi, thanks for the tips. He told me it would have been $24 for the medicom body which is about right - hlj was selling them for 2700 but they don't have them anymore. He would have paid the shipping, but Andy already cost a fortune. After doing some research, what I decided to do was buy a slim Obitsu male body at junkyspot.com for $20, which would have been great, and I started to order one, but it turns out that the head would most likely have been incompatible with the obitsu neck post. Their neckposts are compatible with anything in their normal bodies, but the slim one is like a cy girl. THe ad had an error in it and showed an extra dragon-compatible neckpost.

What I ended up doing was taking a long woodscrew, and screwing it in his a$$ to replace the snapped part. It fits perfectly and turns with the leg as the original piece.

I had to do the exact same thing with Mach Roid - both his legs snapped off in transit! Apparently this happens often with that figure. I'm surprised you never had trouble with medicom RAH bodies. Obitsu bodies are super solid, but the normal bodies have shoulers that are too broad. Otherwise it would have been fine. I didn't want to start a whole customization project as I'm pretty busy.

I used a nice camera and took some photos of the warhol doll - unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the repair. Maybe later if anyone wants to see it.

Here's some better pix of Mach Roid:

By the way, speaking of Medicom, I have for sale on ebay an ICHI THE KILLER Kakahira figure. He has a more solid body, the skinny heroin addict body they used for their Sid Vicious doll.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6030714242

Your Andy Warhol didn't break during transportation, actually Chuck Norris pointed at Andy's ass and said:"booya".

Hmm, never thought of that, could be! I'll go ahead and sue CHuck. Actually, maybe Andy did it on purpose 'cause he wanted to get his ass screwed...

Oh my freaking god.. KAKIHARA!! .... if i had 60 bucks i'd buy it from you man. Would he just come with the closed hands or does he have regular hands too?

I'm surprised you never had trouble with medicom RAH bodies
    Maybe that's because I only bought two of the carded bodies from HLJ, and never a boxed figure. Aside from the competent factory packaging HLJ packed the bodies OK, too. I needed some short (as in really short, not Dragon Fritz short) bodies for Gurkha figures (I've read Gurkhas are 5'4" on average). I had tried the In The Past Toys Japanese body before, but I didn't like it.

The photo of Warhol's hand shows very nicely what a great sculpt the new Medicom hands are. The carded bodies only come with one pair of relaxed hands and fists. I wish there were rifle and pistol hands available as well. I was lucky enough to get some old type Medicom pistol hands off Ebay. Those are the same size and fit with little modification, but they are not nearly as nicely sculpted as the new hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Oh my freaking god.. KAKIHARA!! s**t if i had 60 bucks i'd buy it from you man. Would he just come with the closed hands or does he have regular hands too?
    Yeah how freaky is that? He's too gross! I have a double because I bought this one loose, and then shortly after I found a set of Kakhira and Ichi! So it's a double. I got the set for about $100. On ebay I saw it go for $200. Recently Kakahira went on ebay for $90 and $105, new in box.

No he doesn't come with other hands unfortunately, even new in the box it's the same hands. However for this type of skinny heroin addict rock star body, the hands are compatible with regular action figures like dragon, dml etc so you could replace them.

I loved that movie but I also hated it, 'cause I can't stomach violence. But the figures are gold. Actually I'd never heard of the movie till I saw the figures go on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Royohboy
    The photo of Warhol's hand shows very nicely what a great sculpt the new Medicom hands are. The carded bodies only come with one pair of relaxed hands and fists. I wish there were rifle and pistol hands available as well. I was lucky enough to get some old type Medicom pistol hands off Ebay. Those are the same size and fit with little modification, but they are not nearly as nicely sculpted as the new hands.
    Are the carded hands that nice? There are two Warhol figures actually - "60s Style" and "80s Style" (gotta love japan) and the 60's style one has less interesting hands as they are younger and have less lines on the back of the hand. Oh, when I have time I should take a photo of that part of the hand. THey even yellowed the nails a little bit! There are veins and lines, and the texture is great.

Mods - this should get some sort of accolade for 'Best Thread Title Ever'
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhaggis
    Are the carded hands that nice?
    They are indeed:

But judging from what you write about the Warhol hands it seems there are even better Medicom hands Ahhh, if only they would decide to sell carded hands (and price the body a bit more affordable).

Wow, nice!

By the way, I have another Kakahira from ICHI THE KILLER medicom figure, as picture a few posts above for sale. This time in the box. He doesn't have the RAH301 body or hands (unfortunately for the hands!) but rather a skinnyier, sturdier body, the one they used for Sid Vicious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6039005592

cool, i never know Medicom produced an Andy Warhol figure...definitely a cool salute to the greatest Pop Art pioneer ever lived!
    Castor Troy: Hello? This is Sean Archer.

Sean Archer: Well, if you are Sean Archer, then I must be Castor Troy.

The Twilight Magic Company (i think that's what they're called - the bounty hunters normally attributed to yamato are made by this company) would fit the hands, and the body is generally much thinner than a dragon or BBI or even SS, but the articulation is atrocious.