1990s VBSS Gear?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 1990s VBSS Gear?

1990s VBSS Gear?

Setting up a 1990s VBSS and taking my usual "accuracy first" approach. I've been trying to answer two niggling questions:
    -None of the teams seem to be carrying any breaching gear that I'd expect such as sledges or hooligan bars. Was this just uncommon back then (maybe reserved only for HVBSS)?
    -LPU-21s seem to be the preferred life preserver, but we're UDT life preservers (mustang/horse collars) also in use?

Any help answering these questions is much obliged.
    Trade Feedback - Random WIP's
    "Shouldn't this guy have a goatee and a Glock?" - MediumMack *()* "[...] a 1/6 Aberdeen Proving Ground" - JTFazz

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: 1990s VBSS Gear?

As far as breaching gear, I would think shipboard access would be fairly straightforward, as well as there being various tools available aboard the ship itself. Even recent team pics don't produce much in the way of carried tools.

The inflatable horse collar vest seems to be more of a Vietnam/post-Vietnam item, and is sort of obtrusive, compared to the other models. A bit of interesting reference here - FlightHelmet.com | Serving Military, EMS, & Civilian Pilots. 800-531-4898

A number of bashes of the period, which I think portrayed VBSS kit pretty well:

SEAL Combat Boarding

SEAL VBSS

Yujin's team

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...many-pics.html -
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    As far as breaching gear, I would think shipboard access would be fairly straightforward, as well as there being various tools available aboard the ship itself. Even recent team pics don't produce much in the way of carried tools.

The inflatable horse collar vest seems to be more of a Vietnam/post-Vietnam item, and is sort of obtrusive, compared to the other models. A bit of interesting reference here - FlightHelmet.com | Serving Military, EMS, & Civilian Pilots. 800-531-4898

A number of bashes of the period, which I think portrayed VBSS kit pretty well:

SEAL Combat Boarding

SEAL VBSS

Yujin's team

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...many-pics.html -
    Thanks, Mike! I've also found a photo series of a SEAL Team 8 VBSS team that operated during the Gulf War (Search for "PH2 Milton Savage"). They clearly use the horse collar as opposed to the LPU-21.
    The horse collar isn't my first choice due to the reasons you stated. However, given that Very Hot has decided to include an LPU-21 as part of its upcoming pilot releases (as opposed to the automatic LPU-23 - note the missing stickers), I'll probably end up waiting on one of those.
    Trade Feedback - Random WIP's
    "Shouldn't this guy have a goatee and a Glock?" - MediumMack *()* "[...] a 1/6 Aberdeen Proving Ground" - JTFazz

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I used to have some good links saved but alas I have lost them. Here is a good start for you though..... 90's vbss - Bing Images
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -Dr. Seuss

from just one of the links above The Gallery
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -Dr. Seuss

There's one pic out there, not sure of its pedigree, but tho not VBSS (I think), it has an interesting variation on wearing the horse collar vest.

You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I had a set of pictures from a demo with a VBSS team displaying their gear...definitely recall some sledgehammers. Can't find them, I seem to remember them being from somewhere on specwargear.com, but couldn't find them on there either.