"Sapper" Tab

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: "Sapper" Tab

"Sapper" Tab

I have been watching entirely too much of the Pentagon and Military Channels as of late and keep seeing a "Sapper" tab on a number of personnel on active duty. Can anyone fill me in on this as I sure never saw it back in the early 90's? Just curious.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Of course someone already has wikimized the subject - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapper_Tab

My bud (Eng NCO) who retired a couple of years ago thought it might never happen, but it has.
    I think it's a class move, along with several others which mark achievement outside not covered by previous traditional badges and tabs.
    The Combat Action Badge, and Combat Medical Badge have also been instituted to give non-infantry personnel recognition of their involvement in combat.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)As well as C.I.A. SOG and Blackwater
    The Sapper's Course is at Ft.Leonard Wood M.O. and what it basically does is test the skills of an MOS 12 Series engineers at combat engineering techniques.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here's another couple of linksl. I recall reading about this back in '06 when it was initiated.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/sappertab.htm

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=6220
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Thanks Grizz for your plethora of knowledge as usual. It amazes me how much that they have added on with the uniform since I got out in 95. Things like the Combat Action Badge and the black beret (though I still think that they shouldnt have taken it from the Rangers) were kind of urban legend back then. Now they are all a reality. The Combat Medic badge was around then. It took some time to adjust to the ACU, and now I love it and own some ACU pants and shorts. Time stands still for no one.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."

Are 'Sniper' tabs still a novelty item or have they become official as well?
    [email protected]
    US Marines, when it absolutely, positively needs to be destroyed overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by markdrake View Post
    Are 'Sniper' tabs still a novelty item or have they become official as well?
    Nope it's still unauthorized in the military. Probably a good thing since there is a standing bounty on all US military snipers heads that can be collected anytime, anywhere.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

I lobbied for authorization of a "bad ass" tab just for me but it never came to fruition.

So, Could one have three tabs? (Ranger, Airborne, and Tapper).

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary25 View Post
    So, Could one have three tabs? (Ranger, Airborne, and Tapper).
    Ranger & Sapper would be individual qualification tabs, and Airborne tab would designate the unit.
    [email protected]

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)As well as C.I.A. SOG and Blackwater
    Mercenary 25,

Yes, it would be possible for an engineer to go to Ranger school, attend the Sapper Course, and be in the 18th Airborne Corps. Back in the 90's there was a unofficial "Delta Force" tab sold at some of the local surplus stores around Fayetteville. They were not authorized for wear but were more than likely novelty items.

There's the Special Forces tab as well.
    You are
    What you do

I actually would like to put in a formal vote for Longhorn's "bad ass" tab.

The first issue will be subdue OD, and as of this posting, only Longhorn92 has earned the coveted tab. He will be posted immediately to Chief Instructor, BA Course.

You are
    What you do

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    The first issue will be subdue OD, and as of this posting, only Longhorn92 has earned the coveted tab. He will be posted immediately to Chief Instructor, BA Course.

Would it possible for me to get a "fat ass" tab??

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr View Post
    Would it possible for me to get a "fat ass" tab??
    How about Lazy Ass, Retired Ass....anymore?
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by markdrake View Post
    How about Lazy Ass, Retired Ass....anymore?
    How about the coveted "Smart Ass" tab? I think that most of the members of this board would qualify!

All 12B NCO's are encouraged to go to sapper school at Leonardwood. I remember going to basic back in 1990 as a 12B, people would talk BS saying that the Army was going to start letting guys wear Sapper tabs. You dont have to be a super soldier to go to sapper school. My platoon sgt went, he was overwieght, they said he dropped out of most of the runs and went back to the barracks. The instructors were good soldiers tho, I met a few when we went on a detail over to the course. Most were Ranger qualified. They had some kind of special forces qualifications.
    Its humbling to be humble.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlocke06 View Post
    The instructors were good soldiers tho, I met a few when we went on a detail over to the course. Most were Ranger qualified. They had some kind of special forces qualifications.
    Hey mattlocke. If they didn't have a Special Forces Tab (which would indicate that they had completed the Q Course, been awarded an 18 Series MOS, and served in a Special Forces Group, and then decided to return to the conventional Army), they didn't have "some kind of special forces qualifications". It's possible that they may have been trained up by an SF MTT (Mobile Training Team), but that doesn't give them any kind of Special Forces qualifications. I'm not talking anyone down, just clarifying things.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O. View Post
    Hey mattlocke. If they didn't have a Special Forces Tab (which would indicate that they had completed the Q Course, been awarded an 18 Series MOS, and served in a Special Forces Group, and then decided to return to the conventional Army), they didn't have "some kind of special forces qualifications". It's possible that they may have been trained up by an SF MTT (Mobile Training Team), but that doesn't give them any kind of Special Forces qualifications. I'm not talking anyone down, just clarifying things.

Cheers!
    fer sure dude. I seen ranger tabs, but really cant remember seeing any special forces tabs. Plus im no expert on sapper instructors but from what I seen almost 20 yrs ago those 2 days I was detailed out to work there my memory is a little fuzzy. I just remember seeing one instructor with longer than regulation haircut and a poncho vila mustache, lol. But im sure sombody there had to have some kind of special forces training.
    Its humbling to be humble.