MultiCam in the Army

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: MultiCam in the Army

MultiCam in the Army

I've had this arguement ("Yes, the Army does use MultiCam, just in really small quantities.") for so long, that I'm spreading the word.

Soldiers Testing FCS Technology Give Thumbs Up Feb 02, 2007
    By Army News Service

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Feb. 2, 2007) - The Army completed the first live-fire exercise, Experiment 1.1, involving Future Combat Systems technologies and equipment at the Oro Grande Range at Fort Bliss, Texas, yesterday.

The exercise is the first step in accelerating the delivery of key FCS capabilities to current-force Soldiers, and part of the most comprehensive Army modernization effort in more than half a century.

A platoon of 36 Soldiers tested such FCS technology as Urban and Tactical Unattended Ground Sensors and unmanned vehicles designed to clear roads and buildings, as well as detect persons and objects that may enter a building occupied by Soldiers. Robotics and unmanned vehicles help clear buildings without sending actual Soldiers inside.

"With the Future Force Warrior Individual Ground System, every Soldier knows where their fellow Soldier is, even if they're not next to them," said Sgt. 1st Class Richard Haddad, Future Combat Systems, Evaluation Brigade Combat Team. Another advantage of the FFWIGS is the ability of the platoon leader and the platoon sergeant to locate all their Soldiers on their screen and communicate with them by radio.

"Soldiers won't have to wait for someone to send them the information. Every Soldier will have the ability to listen to real-time information on the radio so he can anticipate the next move. He stays informed, that means he stays alert." Haddad said.

The unattended ground sensors are part of the first FCS spin-out to begin in 2008. Spin-Out 1 also includes an early version of the FCS Network and the Non-Line-of-Sight Launch System, also tested yesterday. The NLOS-LS gives the Army a highly deployable, long-range precision attack capability with a much-reduced logistical footprint for faster and more sustainable deployments.

"The new technology we have is going to save a lot of lives," said Sgt. 1st Class Andres Rugerio, FCS, EBCT. "That's the thing we're impressed about."

Experiment 1.1 had three phases. Phase 1 involved hardware and software integration and networking and systems interoperability testing in a laboratory environment at Huntington Beach, Calif. Phase 2 involved interoperability testing of various FCS systems in a more realistic, joint operational environment with more than a dozen Soldiers at Fort Bliss.

"The future is now," FCS Program Manager Maj. Gen. Charles Cartwright said yesterday. "Networked Soldiers already are using early FCS systems; and we're getting invaluable Soldier feedback about what works and what needs improving. Today's exercise is further confirmation that the FCS program is working as planned."

Yesterday's live-fire exercise will help ensure that the new technologies tested are sufficiently mature and suitable for the current operational environment. Results of the exercise and the Soldiers' feedback will inform subsequent program development, according to Cartwright.

The FCS program has delivered more than five million lines of software code and several pre-production prototype systems on cost and on schedule.

(Maj. Deanna Bague from the Fort Bliss Public Affairs Office contributed to this story.)

The Future Combat Systems Class I unmanned aerial vehicle can be carried in a backpack and provides dismounted soldiers with new capabilities in reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition capability on the battlefield.

A Soldier (left) from the Future Combat Systems, Evaluation Brigade Combat Team, views his screen for unforeseen obstacles during an exercise and live demonstration Feb. 1 at Oro Grande Range, Fort Bliss, Texas. Photo by Maj. Deanna Bague

Soldiers from the Future Combat Systems, Evaluation Brigade Combat Team, employ an unmanned vehicle to clear a road during an exercise and live demonstration Feb. 1 at Oro Grande Range, Fort Bliss, Texas.

Soldiers participating in a Future Combat Systems Experiment 1.1 mock combat exercise use the small unmanned ground vehicle to clear a building. The portable, robotic vehicles can be used for high-risk activities such as surveillance in buildings, tunnels and caves, or detecting explosive devices, without exposing Soldiers directly to the hazards.
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

AWSOME
    I had the same argument with some guys!!!!
    YOU ROCK!!

I love that stuff way better than the ACU's

paul

As much as i like it, there was a reason why the Army had DCUs AND BDUs in stock. There simply isnt one perfect pattern for every enviroment.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't disagree.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

They look kool..!! GSTG sells them. I am going to have to go and get me about 2 or three sets.

Nighthawk, since I find Good Stuff's site annoying and confusing to navigate, who is the manufacturer so I can find em and get em?
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuued1 View Post
    Nighthawk, since I find Good Stuff's site annoying and confusing to navigate, who is the manufacturer so I can find em and get em?

Combat Custom

No argument there, that it has been issued in testing, as this article demonstrates. I think seeing the few shots of this really gets some folks to thinking that it is a widespread issued item tho, and it is not.

Outside of the random shots that have surfaced of some SpecOps community members wearing it, this is about the only place you will see it, in trials like this. The videos of the FCS that the Army has, also shows them all wearing it.

Personally, I agree with the thought that the Multi-cam should have been used over the ACU for a more so called universal camo pattern. The ACU does work wonders in some instances, but it is nowhere near the universal, one camo fits all answer.

Until we develop and produce, cost effective enough, a chameleon capable technology, nothing will be universal imho.

Tatuued1 try TMT Hobby on E-Bay; http://stores.ebay.com/TMT-Hobby , they are the same price as GSTG. That is where I got my fisrt loose set from. they have abouty 9 sets left; if you don't mind the wait from H/K. I look forward to getting this set and putting it together with the set I got from Cosmicbaby (I that is the right name; here on OSW) which included boots, vest and a holster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MultiCam in the Army-cc_mc_002[1]-jpg  
    Last edited by Nighthawk264; 03-13-2008 at 21:23.

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Yeah, too bad its only officially implemented in FCS dev training, it looks really nice.

I think the 2nd and 3rd pictures were among the few that upset Sony and maybe the other game console companies because the DoD was using their devices for 'war' without telling them.
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

Quote Originally Posted by saiko View Post
    I think the 2nd and 3rd pictures were among the few that upset Sony and maybe the other game console companies because the DoD was using their devices for 'war' without telling them.
    It's an XBox 360 controller, not Sony.

Andy Microsoft got their money, so what right do they have to complain?
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

If you are thinking of getting multicams, there is a difference of those offered by Storerooms and those available at GSTG. I am not sure that both versions are made by Combat Customs. The ones from Storeroom have a lot of green in them which is one off from a true Crye Multicam. The ones at GSTG are the more correct pattern. I have both and I highly recommend the ones from GSTG. Both represent the R6 uniform version patented by Crye. The Crye Multicam "Field" Version (with knee and Elbow pads), has only been prototyped by BBi. Please check the Crye web site if you like to compare color differences at http://www.cryeprecision.com/default.asp.

I understand the GSTG web site can be a pain. However, just remember that all vendors are listed alphabetically. GSTG has not really updated their portal on the left which is the confusing part. Use the main screen area and look under "C" and you will find Combat Custom. Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by STALL STUFF View Post
    If you are thinking of getting multicams, there is a difference of those offered by Storerooms and those available at GSTG. I am not sure that both versions are made by Combat Customs. The ones from Storeroom have a lot of green in them which is one off from a true Crye Multicam. The ones at GSTG are the more correct pattern. I have both and I highly recommend the ones from GSTG. Both represent the R6 uniform version patented by Crye. The Crye Multicam "Field" Version (with knee and Elbow pads), has only been prototyped by BBi. Please check the Crye web site if you like to compare color differences at http://www.cryeprecision.com/default.asp.

I understand the GSTG web site can be a pain. However, just remember that all vendors are listed alphabetically. GSTG has not really updated their portal on the left which is the confusing part. Use the main screen area and look under "C" and you will find Combat Custom. Hope that helps!

Not to be a PITA, but it was the "combat" uniform that was proto-typed with the knee and elbow pads. The "field" uniform was the predecessor to the R6.

Thank you for the correction.

I am so glad the Army spent tens of millions of dollars on ACU.
    P3 Orion, guardian of the seas, savior of the universe.

Totally agree Clint. I think it even stupider that the Air Force spent millions of dollars to adopt a uniform that would look as close to the Army's as possible without being the Army.

And that the Navy did the same thing and adopted almost the same cut at the Marine's uniform in another pattern. All seems like a huge waste of money to me. I was quite happy when we all wore the same two patterns, the BDU and DCU, which kept things cheap and plentiful.

l think they might dicontinu the ACU and use the multi cam instead, l love the ACU but it doesnt blend into crap, in iraq and afghanistan the americans stand out, but in the multi cam l think they would blend into the enviroments beutifully.

I doubt that ACU goes away any time soon, the Army just spent a lot of money and several years switching everyone over to it. My understanding was one of the reasons they didn't go with Multicam was because Cyre had a patten on it. So each item, uniform and anything else produced in it would have to pay Crye for permission to use it. Which would have made everything more expensive for the government as well as the troops using it. And if that is the case than I am all for the Army for doing so.

I agree is matching almost nothing well though, unless we go to war in a rock quarry or fields of alfalfa next. I don't think any one color can match everything well and the Marine were right to go with two uniforms that cover a range of environments, and with neutral colored gear like armor and boots in the Coyote brown.

Quote Originally Posted by clintm65 View Post
    I am so glad the Army spent tens of millions of dollars on ACU.
    And in converting EVERYTHING that was OD into ACU.

And the funny thing is.....the Army spent millions of dollars converting its gear from Woodland/OD/DCU to ACU and Alpha Green yet (and here's the kicker) they still continue to issue out OD ALICE TA50, Woodland/DCU GORETEX jackets/trousers, Woodland/DCU MOLLE systems and IBAs (of course they also give yea an ACU cover as well) at CIF. But course the troops still go out and buy personal gear such as Multicam items. So in the long run the Army spent only fives of millions of dollars on ACU and 'making do' with whatever they have left.

At least they finally woke up and smelled the stuff they were shoveling when it came down to the new Class As involving trying to due away with combat patches, boots, and overseas service stripes on it.
    Last edited by The Great Shaggy; 09-05-2008 at 23:50. Reason: New Army uniform
    Molon Labe

I have yet to see a SEAL wearing a multi-cam bdu. Weapons, SOF magazines always show them wearing ACU, Green Berets Nat'l Geographic wore ACU. The shows on military channel were all just recent...no one showed up with Multicams. They were either wearing ACUs, Woodland, 3 color. Even the show TOP SNIPER.