One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

ww2 marine 1st 155mm howitzer battalion

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pukingdog 
#1 ·
hey I was wondering if any of you guys knew any info on the 1st 155mm howitzer battalion (USMC) during world war 2, because my uncle was in this unit and I would like to know more about it. many thanks

#2 ·
According to U.S. Marine Corps World War II Order of Battle: Ground and Air Units in the Pacific War, 1939-1945 by Gordon L. Rottman:

I Marine Amphibious Corps, or IMAC assets included:
1st 155mm Artillery Battalion
2nd 155mm Artillery Battalion
(from two existing divisional arty bns)

_4th Bn/11th Mar was re-org'd as 1st Corps Arty Bn, 11 Dec 42, then re-designated 155 Howitzer Bn, IMAC. (Battys K-M eventually re-desig'd A-C) in early Jan 43.

_Redesig'd 1st 155mm Arty Bn, FMF (Batty D added), 10 July 43

_Spring 1944, most FMF desig "155mm Arty BN (How)s"

_April 1944, 1st Arty Bn (How) formed from 1st 155mm Arty Bn IIIAC

_(Jun 1944, All re-desig "155mm How Bn")

That's about all I found initially, then it would be a matter of seeing who and how they were attached to for the various operations. I could be wrong, but I imagine they were deployed as needed and conditions allowed. Apparently IMAC was re-designated III Amphibious Corps in April 44. Looks like their operations included " Solomon Islands Campaign, the Mariana and Palau Islands campaign and the Battle of Okinawa".

Mike

-----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.