One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

BDU Jackets, are they usually tucked in?

28K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  DJCummings 
#1 ·
I've noticed in some pictures that some US soldiers/marines tuck their BDUs in their pants. Is this normally done in a desert enviroment? What is preferred?

#3 ·
Well actually the answer is sometimes. In my expirience, alot of guys tuck them in for airborne operations. Not sure why, I usually don't. I guess it makes it easier for a JMPI and prevents the chute from making skin contanct that can rub raw. The new ACUs were meant to be tucked in sometimes when wearing your kit. That idea came from the SF guys who would tuck in thier BDUs or Mod BDUs. So I guess the short answer is that Delta Tango is correct, they are not normally tucked in, but you can if you like depending on what you have the figure doing.

Rick

#4 ·
Really depends. I wore mine tucked in more often than not when out the wire. You would be surprised at how often the untucked blouse snags at THE worst possible moment. Tucking them in meant less chance of that happening, especially when in the urban environment or even just up in the turret of the Hummer. Either that, or I was wearing the Nomex CVC suits.

#7 ·
When I was in an Infantry Company in the National guard I knew a few former Recon Marines who tucked them in all the time, so I started doing during to, and then a few others followed. It was overlooked while in the field, but not for formations back at the armory.

#8 ·
A lot of Aussies tuck them in whilst out bush - possible reasoning being:

a.) stops bugs crawling up to one's soft underbelly whilst in the prone position,

b.) unbloused shirts can 'ride up' under the webbing/LBE during strenuous activities, tucking them in helps keep them 'anchored'.

#18 ·
I tucked mine in when I wasn't wearing a combat shirt, just so I could get to the gear on my belt. We used to put chem lights on a piece of 550 cord and d-ring it to our belts and some flex cuffs

#20 ·
I tried tucking mine in, but it just came un-tucked, so I stopped doing it. Its really personal preference. I tucked my top when rappelling, but I never did it during airborne ops. I prefer it un-tucked for the air flow anyway. Im looking forward to wearing the Army Combat Shirt as soon as it heats up here in Afghanistan.

#23 ·
Before OEF and IBA's we would tuck in our tops for our abn ops and keep them tucked in while running our lanes because of bugs, dirt and your top makes a great "drop pouch" for your empty mags. During combat we did it for some of the same reasons, plus another huge factor is fire. If you've ever been hit by an IED and englufed in flames you want at much of your body protected as possible. I would rather deal with no airflow than 3rd degree burns up my backside. To be honest I also think it looks better, you see a guy wearing a uniform a size too big and then puts on his kit, he will look like he's wearing a tutu...goofy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.