Precision Guided Firearm - Tracking Point rifle

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Precision Guided Firearm - Tracking Point rifle

Precision Guided Firearm - Tracking Point rifle

It seems like the future's snuck up on us once more. A segment on a recent radio program covered the Tracking Point rifle, an expensive (although fairly reasonable for what it does) weapon which allows individuals with no shooting training, to make cold bore shots past 500m. The shooter scopes in and lazes the target, pulls the trigger, and the weapon fires when it has the shot.

One military officer commented that the system should not be in the hands of civilians, citing various opportunities for it's use by terrorist types. It was pointed out that the gun will only operate when a password is entered. That bit of the conversation went no further, no one pointing out the obvious flaw.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...he-real-world/
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Precision Guided Firearm - Tracking Point rifle

This is great and all for an average to great shooter. For a complete novice with no skills as I have heard whining about as well I still see flaws and error potential. First and easiest to point out but not so much for the anti-gun crowd is a simple little thing like breathing. Every shooter that has ever tried to make a shot over 100 meters let alone further knows just how bad a shot can go with the slightest tick of breathing. System may pull the trigger when it has the shot aligned but the shooter is still holding the rifle steady and still lots of room for human error. Just my 2 cents but then I am one of those highly trained killer gun owner types that all the liberals think will go on a rampage.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -Dr. Seuss

Stephen Hunter, iSniper?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm actually thrilled by the potential here. As a military guy I'd love to see this tech used and improved. As a firm supporter of American rights I would love to see everyone getting a chance to gain from this tech.

A good bud just sent me this - http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-50...180751722.html

So now they claim 1000 yd shots by novices. The goal of offering it to the military seems natural. Sounds like the system's pedigree tracks to stabilized tank gun development (maybe the Abrams?). My problem is the motivation of untrained, undisciplined individuals wanting the system because they don't have the patience to obtain the needed skills - in the case noted - to bag "big game" at any kind of range.

-----
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

watch this clip on Colbert about this rifle, very funny.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...ingpoint-rifle