One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

JTAC/TACP/ROMAD/CCT: Explaining the difference

68K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  markdrake 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems to be a lot of confusion with the announcement of a new figure.

JTAC (Joint Terminal Air Controller) is a certification/qualification. These individuals are trained to plan and control close air support. They support both the conventional and SOF communities. In fact there are more supporting the conventional side than the SOF side. Many CCT or combat controllers are also JTAC certified (but not necessarily).

TACP is a Tactical Air Control Party. A TACP is generally a two-airman team, working in an Army ground unit and directing close air support firepower toward enemy targets on the ground. TACP is technically what they do, not who they are though the term has taken on that use confusing the discussion..

TACP’s generally consist of ALOs (Air Liasion Officer), JTACs and ROMADs (Radio Operator Maintainer and Driver). At certain levels (Division and higher) there can be support guys in the TACP.

The primary difference between JTACs and ROMADs is a JTAC is certified to say “CLEARED HOT” directing aircraft to use munitions on a target. ROMADs do talk aircraft into position and then hand control to a JTAC who may be miles away (essentially relying on the ROMAD to do his job). The JTAC clears the aircraft hot and then goes back to the task at hand often directing CAS where he’s at which may be the TOC.

CCTs (Combat Control Team) are basically combat air traffic controllers. They have the skills to run a control tower and the aircraft flowing into and out of newly seized airfields. Over the last decade they have been pressed into providing CAS.

When necessary, troops on the ground often request, direct and release CAS when JTAC'S, TACPs or CTT's are not present.

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd be glad to answer any questions as well. I've been a TACP for most of my 21 yr career in the Air Force. There have been some changes for us recently. Soon TACPs will be 100% JTAC and the ROMAD position will go away. We've found the ROMAD is underemployed. We also have a dedicated officer corps now instead of pulling entirely from the pilot community.

#7 ·
Well, the goatee would have to go...ha ha...

A lot of the kit I would add doesn't exist in 1:6 that I know of. He could use PRC-152s or a PRC-117G, SATCOM dish, binos!, OCP pattern uni. I like that IZLID 200P they have in there. You don't usually see that in 1:6. I wonder if they had somebody advising them.

#8 ·
Havoc - that's good news (officer corps and not drawing from pilots only).

Really appreciate you chiming in and of course defer to your first hand current experience. Mine might be dated and is second hand from a good friend's son (and customers of course).

I was under the impresion that the SCAR L have just about all been phased out except for some SEALs. Is the Air Forcre still using them and if sowho and how common is it to see a SCAR L.

#9 ·
To be honest, I don't know which scar they're running. It would only be our guys in SOCOM and I don't run in that community anymore. One of the downsides of promotion is you don't get to have anymore fun. There should still be a bunch of Ls out there so I wouldn't doubt it.

#12 ·
I've yet to see any SCAR-L in action after SOCOM cancelled the contract and collected ours up. Our last two CCTs had SCARH's, but I'm not gonna say 100% they aren't out there, just that what would be the real point of fielding the SCARL when everyone else will have an M4 (too include repair parts etc) that you're working with. My $.2

#14 ·
Thanks, Punisher. I'm not sure what they're rolling with but I can ask the question. I personally don't think the switch to the SCAR made a lot of sense. The M4 is still boss around the world and parts are easy to find (well they were until this possible AWB). I know the SCAR has some cool features, but it's just not worth it IMHO.

#15 ·
The SCAR-L was a complete waste of money, however the SCAR-H is practical and a light weight replacement to the M14. I have a couple and we dedicated two of them with 5-25x zoom scopes and have been very successful with them. As stated before I've not seen the Lights since we turned them in a few years back, but it isn't my place to say they aren't still out there. I've heard at least one company from the ranger battalions had been outfitted with nothing but SCAR-L and SCAR-H awhile back and those may still be in circulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.