One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

FTL weapon?

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  The Great Shaggy 
#1 ·
I'm playing around with the idea of making a US Army fire team (thanks to the field manuals), and as such, most of the soldiers aren't hard to make - there is the rifleman/designated marksman with either an M14 or an M4 (Soldier Story), the squad automated rifleman (Soldier Story or Crazy Dummy), the grenadier (Crazy Dummy) and the fire team leader (?). And here I'm stumped. The FM gives a lot of info on what the TL is and what he is supposed to be doing, but not a word on what he is armed with... Anyone has any ideas? My personal guess is that it would be an M4 without an M203, but I'm usually wrong...

And while at it, what does a SL have? I mean, just in case I go totally overboard and build a squad...

(That said, thanks to SS, I'm halfway to a full fire team already :D )

#7 ·
When I read FTL, I naturally inferred that you meant faster than light. Of course the only known FTL weapon in existence at this time is the Chuck Norris Round House Kick. :D.....
Chuck Norris Fact: The Manhattan Project was not intended to create atomic weapons....it was meant to
recreate the destructive power in a Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick. They didn't even come close.

.....So, there I am, with one outstanding question: what is a fire team leader armed with?
If you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you. :tongue

Seriously, if the book doesn't say, it probably/could/most likely means the TL can carry what they want for the mission.

#4 ·
A Faster Than Light weapon, now that would be badass. :D

No one knowing anything about this? I might elaborate on what I have picked up from different sources regarding the US Army fire team - and PLEASE correct me if I have misunderstood anything somewhere:

The weapons used generally is the M249 and a M9 sidearm for the machine gunner; an M14 or M4 for the rifleman (in the squad, there might be one each), an M4/M203 alternatively M16A4/M203 for the grenadier and god knows what for the fire team leader - and the only pistol is worn by the squad leader and the squad's both machine gunners.

So, there I am, with one outstanding question: what is a fire team leader armed with?

#6 ·
Thanks! Looks like the guy on the picture is armed with a pretty barebones M16, which would kind of make sense really - between the M4 and the M249, the more medium-range M16 would fit right in.

But the book I'm talking about is the field manual for the US army squad and platoon (3-21-8, open source) - great in many ways, but for people like us, lacking in some aspects.

#10 ·
Are we talking a regular infantry unit or special operations? The M4 is the standard issue weapon for Army infantry and there isn't (usually) much flexibility in what they are allowed to carry. This is even true for most standard Special Forces teams although the SCAR is getting more and more prevalent. I'd go with M4, w/ no M203.

#11 ·
Are we talking a regular infantry unit or special operations? The M4 is the standard issue weapon for Army infantry and there isn't (usually) much flexibility in what they are allowed to carry. This is even true for most standard Special Forces teams although the SCAR is getting more and more prevalent. I'd go with M4, w/ no M203.
We are talking regular army - ground-pounders, grunts, poor bloody infantry, whatever. And thanks for the reply - seems I might have to invest in another SS soldier.

While at it, a related question: Has the M16 been phased out from the army? The USMC seems to use it however.

#13 ·
TL: M4+acog no sidearm
1 rifleman m4+acog w/ 320 launcher
1 rifleman, m4+acog
1 m249 ( maybe mk 46 overseas, no optics) no side arm

I'm in a US light infantry battalion. Can't remember how many M14s per platoon, iirc x1 per section(they're only available to line companies overseas).

I only saw company commanders, executive officers and medics and some company grade officers carry m9s in afghanistan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.