One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Kel Tec KSG ... Comments?

12K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  cdn_rhino 
#1 · (Edited)
I know that there are a lot of gun guys on the board, so I'm soliciting input. I've recently found out about the Kel Tec KSG 12 gauge bullpup shotgun. This looks like a very well thought out design that addresses some common shortcomings in currently available shotguns. Here is Kel Tec's press release and link to the site:

The KSG is our first entry into the shotgun market. The size, shape and design are similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 14 rounds of 12 gage 2-3/4" rounds (7 per tube). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.

Kel Tec CNC

I've attached a couple of thumbnails.

I can see applications for house clearing and even hunting with the proper sights. I want one, but does anyone know of any negatives (or positives of course!)?

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
The sabot round faded due to low priority, I think. The theory sounded good, based on the Abrams' gun. Maybe somewhere, someone has already done it. I guess the main issue would be how it performed compared to conventional long guns.

I can see how shotguns designed to handle standard length shotshells could have feeding problems. I agree that Kel Tec's wizards probably worked the design to allow the mini shells a clean function. The extra rounds are a real boon to the carry load, and indeed, slugs are not only brutally lethal, but pretty accurate.

#36 ·
Well, we have our first 1:6 options too now. The Dark Zone Agent Renegade, and another stand alone form a different brand. The VTS one is awesome. I'll try and get the figure built up this weekend.

I seem to recall a 3" sabot round for AP applications, but maybe I was just imagining that. Military rounds for barricades and anti-vehicle use. I wish I could find that article. Maybe I just imagined it.

A quick search shows some have been made. Even scarier are the flechette rounds. Those might as well just be nails, and they mess up the barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.