Old vs. New...a weapon comparison

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Old vs. New...a weapon comparison

Old vs. New...a weapon comparison

I had firearms training last week so I brought my duty pistol home to clean it. I usually clean it at work but ran out of time. As I was cleaning it, I got thinking about the difference between my current weapon and the one I was issued when I came on the department.

On Sept. 24, 1989 I was sworn in as a patrol officer. I went from City Hall to the station and the training sgt. handed me a Smith & Wesson Model 64 .38 Special revolver. He gave me 18 rounds of ammo and dump pouches for my duty belt (we had to buy our own speed loaders if we wanted them!). I carried this for about four or five years and then we switched to a S&W 5906 9mm. The department allowed any officer who wanted to do so to buy their .38 duty weapon through the dealer. I paid $130 for it. It's sat in my safe pretty much since then. I carry a gun 40+ hrs. a week so I don't really do much with them on my off time.

After about 5 horrible years of broken down crappy use, we switched from the S&W 5906 to our current weapon, the Glock Model 22C (C for compensation ports) .40 caliber.

The current weapon is so much better for law enforcement use but I got curious about some things so I did some comparions

Smith 64
    Capacity 6
    Weight 36 oz.
    Length 8 7/8 in.
    sights notch/ramp
    safety none
    finish stainless
    ammo 12 backup

Glock 22C
    Capacity 15+1
    Weight 25 oz.
    Length 7.32 in.
    sights 3 dot night sights
    safety 3
    finish blued/polymer
    ammo 30 backup

If anyone is ever in the market for a pistol, I would highly recommend the Glock.

We also switched from the old standbye Remington 870 shotgun as the vehicle's long gun to the Bushmaster M4 Carbine.

It took some time, but we finally caught up with the times and are better equipped to deal with the types of threats that are out there today.

Just feeling a bit nostalgic...

Mark D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old vs. New...a weapon comparison-mvc-010f-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is important to have enough rounds to deal with the kind of high-volume firepower that contemporary bad guys wield. Most important, as you know, is making the shot, the one that ends the fight.
    Smith revolvers always have been efficient firearms in trained hands, I've shot a lot of their automatics and they don't inspire the same confidence in me. While you have to make due sometimes, I always preferred revolvers in .44 caliber, and semi-autos in .45 ACP, to hedge the bet. Still, an old acquaintance, a KCK detective, shot as deadly as anyone I've met, using an old M&P 2" barrel .38 Spl. He was comfortable with it, and the first shots always went where it counted. That was his idea of suppressive fire.

Now, wheelguns seem to be archaic in modern police use. It's been a rough transition period at times, as officers were asked to use semi-autos that were both under-powered and unreliable. It seems at last that our lawmen are getting useable, if not the best tools, to do the job.

That said, I'd be curious to know your choice of backup.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

mark,

i tried to convince our rangemaster to try out the 22C's as a personal purchase option for individual officers. i was kindly told to go pound dirt since the C's are of no use during low-light situations because the flash causes temp blindness. i was wondering if you had any experience in this and what you thought of the less felt-recoil as compared to regular 22's. i'd like to revisit this option with our rangemaster and want some field tests to back my proposition.

thanks,
    mike
    honorary axe gang member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

PD: By our department's policy, we aren't authorized to carry more than the one department issued handgun while on duty (nice, huh?). Off duty we can carry any weapon .32 or above, revolver or pistol, as long as it holds at least six rounds. My off duty weapon was a Sig Sauer .380 until I got rid of it. Now if I ever carry, I just use the Glock. The Sig was a nice sized smooth shooting weapon and would probably be my back up.

onimk: I would suggest that your rangemaster is ill-informed. At least twice a year we qualify with a night shoot. We use several different light sources during the shoot starting at the most light down to no light. We first use headlights, then no headlights but the ambient light off the red/blue squad car lights, we then move to the light of a flashlight, and end with no lighting other than whatever moonlight is available. Even is the last phase, you can still make out the silhouette on the target. The cat-eye three dot sights line up for a perfect shot. I shot the un-compensated model when we were test firing different weapons for the change. There was a difference at the time but I would have called it negligible at the time. After several years of shooting the compensated model, I would probably be able to tell the difference a bit more. As far as the flash causing you to lose your night vision, that's a load of crap. I would guess that he's only seen pictures like the below one and is basing his opinion on that. The flash is so fast, you don't even notice it. Pictures like these are taken on the high speed cameras and they capture something that has happened in what, 1/10,000 of a second. Trust me, the flash doesn't distract you and you don't even notice it after the first time you shoot it and see what it's like. Our average scores went up across the board for officers when we switched from the S&W to the Glock, and this would go for the night shoots as well.

For those unfamiliar with what we're talking about, the "C" in Glock 22C stands for "compensation ports". Glock uses compensation ports on some of their models. It basically is two 1/2" slots in the top of the barrel and two more in the top of the slide. When a round is fired, much of the blast is forced out through these ports. The force going through these ports "pushes" the gun down, compensating for the natural recoil. It looks really cool in freeze frame pictures but happens so fast in real life that you can hardly see it.

Mark D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old vs. New...a weapon comparison-compensator-jpg  

I've worked in military/federal law enforcement for about 15 years. My first duty weapon was a M1911A1 .45 in a leather flap-style holster. Awesome weapon, but we weren't allowed to carry it with a round in the chamber. I got very good at drawing the weapon, chambering a round and double tapping within 2-3 seconds. We later transitioned to a S&W Model 15 .38 revolver which was issued with Bianchi speed strips and 18 rounds of ammo. I remember that I hated tying to use the speed strips (they are anything but speedy) during qualification and dumped them in favor of privately bought HKS speedloaders.

We are currently using the M9 Berretta 9mm with 45 rounds. Personally, I like it but would like a little more stopping power. I still miss my old .45

My backup/off-duty weapon is a Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. It has such a short barrel that .357 loads can be a little uncomfortable so I keep it loaded .38 special +P Hydroshock.
    Greg W.
    Ironwolf67
    LIFE IS TOUGH - It's Tougher If You're Stupid

You went from Shotguns to M4's? I know that cops need to feel as though they can meet the threat on the street, but am I the only one who is a little disconcerted about this?

Nope, not me. I was watching the bank robbery shoot out they had a couple of years back when the LAPD has to borrow guns from a gun shop to even out the odds. The gunmen had fully auto ak47 against cops with pistols and shotguns, they couldn't even get close. Even now there are kits out there that can help a person change their semi automatic aks into fully auto and they get shipped in illegally all the time. Hell in texas gun control is when you have a rifle on your truck rack. I rather have our civic protectors having the best of the criminals rather than the other way around.
    Sometime life hands you a bowl of lemons it's your choice to make lemonade or suck on it.

Tung's right, the LAPD bank shootout opened a lot of eyes. Other things like Columbine and other school/business "active shooter" cases also showed the need for change.

The blast pattern on a shotguns make them the wrong tool for potential crowd situations like a school full of uncontrolled chaos. Throw in the relatively short effective range of the shotgun and it can become more of a burden than anything.

Shotguns aren't being totally eliminated but their limitations are being examined a lot closer.

Mark D

My 2 cents

Although I haven't fired the 22C, I do carry the 22. I also cary the 27 with Pearce Mag extenders. Because I carry the 27 on and off I have to qualify with it. Both are excellent guns. 27 takes a little getting use to, same caliber as 22 but still good. Although on entries etc still use the 22.

As for shotguns, in training I saw both men and women have issues using the shotgun. Big bang and big recoil seemed to scare people. But those same men and women had no problem firing the MP-5. Having prior experience with 5.56 I dodn't see much different between the MP-5 and the M-4. So I don't see an issue giving this firepower to LEO's - uniform or not. Especially since most of these issued weapons are semi-

My thoughts!

thanks for the info mark, will pass it on to the RM.

4B9- welcome aboard! you'll find quite a few brothers in blue here, great stress relief from our daily grind.

our line officers still carry shotguns, although designated rifle officers can elect to carry a CAR 9 in addition. yes, i know it's a 9, but that's all we can afford.
    honorary axe gang member

Tung-
    quote: "Hell in texas gun control is when you have a rifle on your truck rack."

it was a shot at humor .
    Sometime life hands you a bowl of lemons it's your choice to make lemonade or suck on it.

Your right 100% Tung Here in the south I have seen trucks in walmart parking lots with tricked out Ruger Mini 14 rifles in the gun rack

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)
    I am not LE but have been in the military (AB Infantry)and also own(ed) numerous firearms including M4's, MP5, Glocks (5), and an old slabside (Springfield TRP .45) as well as a Sig GSR .45. I prefer 9 mm G26 to carry in my 5.11 vest and SA .45 in a Eagle SAS holster. I have shot wheelguns in the past and loved them but personally prefer a semi-auto. The new hammerless Detective Special from S&W is real nice but I can't see dropping seven Bens for one. I have been looking at a Vektor Sp-1 9mm and love it. It has absolutely nothing to snag your clothes when drawing concealed. I mean nothing. It is smooth and shoots good also. It is made for both a man or woman.

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)
    Correction on gun. I am looking at a Vektor CP1 not SP1.

well my concealed weapon of choice is an 18th century flintlock, it may not be flashy, but it beats the hell out of the 12 foot lance i used to carry.

lol, had to do it

When I was in the process of joining the RCMP, our Service Revolver was a Smith and Wesson Model 10 (a revolver designed especially for the Force) with a 5" barrel. The RCMP's official sidearm since the 1950's.

In the mid-90's the Force had fully transitioned to the Smith and Wesson 5946, an all stainless double action only 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

Personally, I prefer this:

My own Glock M19 in a Mitch Rosen conceament holster.
    Maintiens le Droits

Nice piece John

Hello guys,

I´d definitevely go for a 40-caliber GLOCK 22/23 or a 40 caliber Sig Sauer P229. Anyway I do not understand why you are so reluctant to use 9 mm parabellum pistols when the British Army 22nd Special Air Service Regiment (the best army special forces and anti-terrorism unit in the World) has chosen Sig Sauer P226 and Walther P99 9 mm pistols.

Calvi (former first class legionnaire, 1st Foreing Cavalry Regiment and 2nd Foreing Paratroopers Regiment of the French Foreign Legion)
    Last edited by Calvi; 09-19-2005 at 12:16.

A clandestine operational base well-hidden in a Michigan rural area.
    After a hard day of playing with the 1/6th action figs, I really appreciate sitting down to read a little testosterone-powered discussion about good ol' fashion firepower! Does my heart good to know the younger generation hasn't bought into all that ficticious, fabricated media nonsense about "kinder and gentler" crap and faces the day, the world, and Reality with decent hand- and long-arms firmly in their grasp!

Peace through superior firepower, I always say, (when NOT in wimpy mixed, socially and politically correct company!)

Now...somebody hand me a brewski to wash down this nasty-tasting Metamucil fibre supplement. Please!
    "I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here."

"No healthy person willingly heaps abuse upon another struggling soul."

The SEALs are also P226 9mm fanciers. I put some round through one the other day at a local range, and it was a very nice handgun.
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Just thought I'd chime in......

Given the "rules of engagement" LEOs operate under, I think ANY weapon a LEO can shoot accurately with that provides the required stopping power is suitable, whether it be 5-shots or 15+. Last I heard, "suppression fire" was NOT an authorized police tactic (unless the perp was in front of a suitable backstop).

I'd also prefer my local PD to be carrying M4s to shotguns. There is plenty of ammo available that won't overpenetrate a perp, which seems to be the MAIN reason folks don't like seeing 'high-powered' rifles in police hands.

And FWIW, the P228 is exclusively in 9mm last I heard. The P229 is available in .40 S&W (among other calibers).

To the owner of the Glock 27...how do you like it? I may be in the market soon for a new CC pistol.

Hello,

Thinking over about the subjet of this thread , in the end, talking about wich pistol is the best for police officers use or seen them using shotguns will become a thing of the past. In the USA, as someone pointed out before, criminals are having access to war weapons single shot versions that can be illegaly modified to obtain automatic firing capabilities and in Western Europe the falling of eastern communist countries has made weapons blackmarkets full of Kalashnikovs and has produced the arrival of new mafias. Not long ago spanish Police Authorities, the media and the people witnessed with disbelief how a member of a Romanian gang received 60 7.62 x 3.9 caliber rounds delivered by two men armed with AK-47s.
    If we add to this the fact that common criminals are having more and more easy access to the latest tech body armour we will have to conclude expecting Law Enforcement officers use the same kind of war weapons to face hardened baddies This is the way manufactures like HecKler & Koch are heading for with new PDW or MP7 now that it is in production. And we can expect citizens buying body armour and using the kind of weapons FN Herstal is offering now: The Five-seveN® Pistol, 5.7 x 28 mm. All this if we agree with both manufacturers when they tell us about the high penetration power their weapons have against modern body armour and the enough stoping power they claim for their new calibers.

Calvi
    Last edited by Calvi; 09-19-2005 at 13:27.

I honestly think you WON'T see too many "up armored" Bad Guys (henceforth refered to as "BGs"). For starters, most BGs are terribly short-sighted. They are only looking as far as how to get cash for their next fix, not mapping out alternate escape routes from the "ambush zone".

The BGs that ARE that far-sighted are probably also cautious enought to plan their "jobs" to minimize or avoid confrontation.

Finally, there is the fact that your better class body armor (I think anything above Level IIIA) is illegal to own.

It should also be pointed out the PDW and MP7 (along with the P90) were designed with the "rear echelon" non-combatant soldier....drivers, etc., to give them something more effective than a SMG, yet not as unwieldy as a full-size rifle. The fact their ammo cuts through Kevlar like a hot knife through butter is simply a bonus.

FWIW, I shot an old police model S&W .38 yesterday. VERY nice handling gun, for a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenTC2
    Finally, there is the fact that your better class body armor (I think anything above Level IIIA) is illegal to own.
    Aside from the fact that your statement is false, something being illegal isn't exactly a deterrent criminals.

I stand corrected.....

Exporting Level III and IV armor plates requires a U.S. State Department export permit. There are also a few countries that may require a Department of Commerce export license for Level II-A, Level II and Level III-A Body Armor. It is the SOLE responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that all transactions conform to US and local Federal, State and Local Statutes, Codes, and Ordinances.

Residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military). See A Survey of State and Federal Law.

I stand by my claim that most criminals are not going to bother making an expensive investment to assist them in their crimes. I'd say statistically the odds are down near zero, and if you are carrying when accosted by an armored thug, your firearms training should have included what to do when rounds placed COM fail to stop the attacker.

In short, the solution to gunfighting (a last resort for us civilians anyway)armored criminals is not AP ammo, it is superior marksmanship and training.

Hello guys,

Well, I do not know about legislation in the USA concerning owning of body armour nor how difficult obtaining it illegaly is, but the fact is that here in Spain we are facing a hell of a problem.

Spain is a sort of European California that received fourty million tourists last year, come from many different places, but mainly European. There is in Andalucia in the South of the country a place called Costa del Sol (Sunshine Coast). One of the villages of this area, Marbella, is one of the fanciest places on Earth to spend your hollydays in. In fact people like Sean Connery Or Gunilla Von Bismark, the heiress of the fortune of German Kaiser Otto Von Bismark from wich the name of the famous German WWII main battle ship comes after, own a house there.

But in the recent years all the mafias in Europe are laundering their black money buying real state property and companies in Costa del Sol. They have settled there and many capos (bosses) live in that place, and their soldati (soldiers) with them.

One year ago two members of Cosa Nostra (the Sicilian Mafia) machineguned the window of an italian heir stylist killing him and a Spanish 7 years old childboy. Severals months ago the boss of the Lyon´s French city Mafia and his wife were killed when three guys scaled the 6 meters tall wall around the house and machineguned the glass wall of their cottage living room (he did not have time to use the 357 magnum Colt Python he carried on). A short time ago four italian mafiosi (the soldati not only work for the family but they have their "small" bussines affairs too) assaulted a bank and used electronic equipment to survey the communications of the local police, noticing that a police car was ahead of where they were heading for in their car runnaway, and killed with AK-47s three police officers (one of them a woman), without giving them time to react (they could´nt even leave their car). One of the assaulters was found by another special police unit later and arrested after being wounded in an arm and a leg in the gunfight. He was wearing body armour. As I have already told you in my previous message a Romanian was hit 60 times with Kalashnikov fire shot point-blank in Madrid. And so on and on and on again...

We have the British Narcos that introduce Moroccan hash and Colombian cocain in the UK via Spain, The Colombian Sicarios of the Cartels that introduce the cocain in Europe via Spain and can be found in all national territory, The Sicilians, (Tony Greco,the younger brother of Michele Greco, -the boss of all bosses who is undergoing a life sentence in Sicily for the assasinations of Anti-Mafia Palermitan magistrates Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino and The Boss of Italian Anti-Mafia Force and Army General Alberto Dalla Chiesa-, lived in Barcelona until he was extradited to Italy a short time ago), Neapolitan Camorra and Mafia Calabrese from Italy, the French Marseille´s Mafia (-"The French Connection"- one of the strongest in the World), Russian Mafias In every major city in Spain, the Romanians are controlling prostitution and white slave trade at massive scale everywhere, the Mafias of the French cities of Lyon and Nice... Everybody is doing dirty bussines and killing each other here and the innocent people caught in between them at their gunfights too. And I can tell you these guys are not short sighted at all and they all use "heavy artillery" and they can obtained illegaly virtually any kind of weapon or body armour (In fact large scale weapons dealing is just one of many of these mafias activities) And those who have not still done it are spreading their activities to the whole country.

I tell you, guys ordinary police enforcement weapons does´nt look good enough for the situation we are in here.

Just an article that appeared in British paper The Guardian about some British gangsters, the less dangerous of them all:

Spanish crackdown nets 'violent British drug dealing ring'

Five allegedly linked to killings among 13 arrested

Dale Fuchs in Madrid
    Friday July 15, 2005
    The Guardian

Spanish police have arrested 13 Britons believed to be members of a drug-smuggling ring based on the Costa del Sol that is accused of laundering up to €50m (£35m).

Three of the men are allegedly linked to a gangland murder in the UK, police said. Two others are allegedly tied to a killing in the Netherlands last year when a drug deal went awry. Spanish police consider them all "highly dangerous".

The gang smuggled cocaine and marijuana to Liverpool and Yorkshire, where the drugs were sold and cash laundered through clothing sales and other businesses, the Spanish interior ministry said in a press statement yesterday. The profits were also channelled through shady property deals on Spain's south coast.

Roughly €3m in drug profits were used to buy stock in a British airline and various businesses in India, officials said.

Until the arrests, carried out with close cooperation from British police, the 13 Britons enjoyed a "high standard of living in luxury homes in the best neighbourhoods with great security measures" in the chic resort towns of Marbella, Mijas, Fuengirola and Malaga, the statement said.

Searching their homes, police found riches and weapons. They confiscated six luxury cars, €150,000 in cash, jewels, designer watches and a variety of guns, including three rifles, two shotguns, two semi-automatics and one revolver.

Police said they had also found a stash of 2,100 cartons of contraband tobacco, false identification cards and paperwork linked to real estate purchases in which "mortgage values were overvalued to increase the amount of money laundered". Police have frozen assets worth "tens of millions of euros".

The leader of the drug ring is alleged to be a British citizen of Pakistani origin who was based in Marbella and orchestrated a "wide network of middlemen and couriers" in Spain, the Netherlands, Britain and Dubai, the ministry statement added. This network made "continual pickups and deliveries of cash", to avoid transferring money or changing currencies through a bank.

"In this way, the pounds earned from the sale of cocaine were delivered to third parties in the UK as payment for the sale of textiles or similar articles, while the buyers of those garments would deliver the equivalent in euros to intermediaries of the organisation in Spain," the ministry said. The middlemen, moreover, would pass "millions of euros" on to the supposed drug traffickers, who paid them a 9% commission for the service.

The leader of the ring is now in jail in Britain, Spanish officials said. They declined to reveal his name or that of any other suspect in Operation Sugar, as is customary under Spain's strict privacy laws.

So far, four of the Britons arrested have been sent to jail on provisional charges. The rest await a hearing by a judge, an official said. An international search warrant has been issued for seven other alleged members of the ring, all of them British.

The swoop is the latest in Spain's crackdown on drug smuggling and organised crime on the Costa del Sol, where the constant flow of foreign tourists enhances anonymity and a booming property market affords opportunities for under-the-table purchases.

In the first half of 2005, police arrested 300 people in connection with money laundering rings and froze €390m in cash and assets. A further 500 people were arrested in connection with international drug smuggling, and a total of 418 tonnes of cocaine, heroin and marijuana were confiscated, according to the tally released yesterday by the interior ministry.

Last month a team of 400 officers dealt a blow to dozens of mafia bosses from a former Soviet republic who were in the process of carving up zones of influence on the coast. In another June swoop, police con fiscated 50 apartments and a 400-room hotel in the break-up of a money laundering ring that stretched to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands.

Special report
    Spain

News guide
    Spain

Another article from the Guardian:

What is the real 'Costa del Crime'?

A multi-million euro international money-laundering scandal in the Costa del Sol has exposed how much of a hold foreign mafia gangs have on Spain. Graham Keeley reports.

The '"tip of the iceberg" was how the Spanish Attorney General Candido Conde-Pumpido described it.

Authorities in Girona are concerned about East European 'mafias'
    The latest international money-laundering scam to envelope the Costa del Sol was, he said, just proof of how a "monster of the international mafia" had set itself up in wealthy tourist resorts in the southern region of Andalusia, such as Marbella, using a law firm as a front.

Conde-Pumpido was referring to the scandal which has so-far led to 41 arrests of nationals from six countries who allegedly have "numerous connections between groups of organised international crimes and a number of suspects implicated in Spain or abroad in serious criminal activities".

Illegally siphoned funds from Russia's crippled oil company Yukos had been discovered as part of the investigation, something the oil company has denied.

One of the key suspects is the head of the law firm, Fernando del Valle, 57, a Chilean citizen, who is said to have set up a network of property and front companies whose traces disappear into offshore accounts in the nearby British territory of Gibraltar, press reports said.

Some of the welter of documents seized by police since the weekend are understood to implicate an array of companies who have their fiscal base in Gibraltar. The tiny territory has just 30,000 residents but 80,000 companies.

Police said they suspect his law firm of having connections with various groups allegedly involved in narcotics, prostitution and other organized criminal activities.

The lengthy police operation code-named "White Whale" relied heavily on close cooperation from police around Europe.

According to unconfirmed reports, prosecutors from Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia and the United States were expected to go to Marbella to take part in the investigation.

"Everything indicates that the investigation is not finished, either in Spain or at the international level," police director Victor Garcia Hidalgo told Cadena Ser radio station.

Police sources said up to EUR 600 million may have been laundered in one of the largest such operations ever dismantled in Europe, and certainly the biggest in Spain.

The latest international money-laundering scam to envelope the Costa del Sol was just proof of how a "monster of the international mafia" had set itself up in wealthy tourist resorts in the southern region of Andalusia - Candido Conde-Pumpido, Spanish attorney general.

To date, authorities say they have evidence only of EUR 250 million,invested in aircraft, fast cars and luxury goods.

It is the most obvious evidence of the extent to which foreign mafias have a established a grip on Spain.

In the past three years, the Spanish National Police Force has watched a steady rise in organised crime by gangs from Albania, Romania, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Yugoslavia.

Eastern European gangsters are increasingly getting a tighter grip on Western society - and Spain is no exception.

But though the latest scandal has blown up on these gangs' traditional 'stomping ground – the so-called Costa del Crime in southern Spain– this is not the whole story.

Instead of southern Spain, with the traditional 'Costa del Crime' which was once home to renegade British villains, gangs are spreading to the Costa Brava, in north-eastern Spain.

To open fire is normal for them and the fear of being cut down is nothing. – Jose Maria Mena, Attorney General of Catalonia

It is happening at exactly the same time as this part of Spain becomes more popular with many younger foreigners, who want to make a new life or start a business on the Costa Brava.

Indeed, police said godfathers of the Italian mafia were increasingly using Barcelona as a new base.

Since Christmas, three of the most prominent 'capos' or bosses have been arrested in the Catalan capital.

They include Raffalle Amato, head of the Camorra or Neapolitan mafia, who lived a life of discreet luxury until his arrest in February.

Before that Luca Avallone, head of the mafia in central Italy, was arrested in Barcelona airport en route back to his own country.

And Humberto Adinolfi, another head of the Camorra, was also arrested in Barcelona in January.

Spanish police say the original godfathers are making Catalonia their home as it the climate and the language are not too different from la patria (homeland).

But perhaps more importantly, things are not so 'hot' for them in Spain – they can pass largely unbothered by police and perhaps stand less chance of being 'whacked' or killed by rivals.

The report also noted that each nationality specialises in a different form of crime.

Some South American mafias, particularly Ecuatorian and those from the Dominican Republic, traffic in illegal immigrants.

The Colombian cocain cartels use Spain as headquarter for their operations in Europe.

But there is "special concern" about the operation of Eastern European mafias because they provoke "social alarm" among local people.

The Russians and Ukrainians are described as "the kings of money laundering, using it to buy property and to set up front companies particularly in the construction industry".

Police find it difficult to penetrate these gangs, even with informers in prison; the report says language problems, their own specialised military knowledge and readiness to use violence make them hard to break up.

Girona, to the north of Catalonia, and Tarragona to the south are favourites. But Barcelona does not escape the influence of these gangs.

One of the most prestigious jewellers in the city, Suarez, was robbed of jewels worth EUR 1.5 million at gunpoint by ex-army Albanian gangsters in May.

Crown Prince Felipe bought Princess Letizia's white gold engagement ring at Suarez, and the shop's reputation stretches throughout Spain.

Interpol has launched an international hunt for the robbers who were said to "know what they wanted" when they broke into the jewellers and carried out a "professional job", according to police sources.

In September last year, a Lithuanian teenager was killed in a gangland shooting near Tarragona. The year before, a similar shooting in the nearby town of Bot cost the life of another Lithuanian.

The Attorney General of Catalonia, Jose Maria Mena, was so concerned by the rise of the Eastern European mafias that he released a report recently on the phenomenon

"The increase in violence is indisputable and serious because each time this happens it is difficult to resist.

"And we are seeing day by day the incorporation into our community of cultures of violence from other countries where life is cheap."

Mena said: "This helps to spread a climate of fear and this area has changed into a refuge for these type of criminal groups who take advantage of the affluence which tourism brings and the dispersion of small homes where they can live anonymously."

"Steadily, they are opening illegal businesses such as massage parlours, bars or discos which are fronts to launder money made from prostitution or drug dealing".

Not the kind of thing you read in tourist guides.

But whether these unwelcome visitors will put off the tide of foreigners who are coming to this part of Spain remains to be seen.

Sales of holiday homes for Britons, Germans other foreigners are also booming in this part of Spain, according to estate agents.

updated March 2005

One last article:

Former Antonio Body Guard fights for life

Date: Monday, 6 December 2004, at 6:39 a.m.

BOY, 7, IS KILLED IN SHOOT-OUT Dec 6 2004

A BOY of seven was one of two people killed by gangsters armed with Uzi sub machine guns on Spain's Costa Del Sol.

A 36-year-old hairdresser also died in the shoot-out in upmarket Puerto Banus, a resort popular with Brits.

A former bodyguard of Spanish movie star Antonio Banderas was left fighting for his life.

The gun battle began when three hooded men attempted to assassinate a suspected drugs baron as he sat in a hair salon on Saturday.

The hairdresser and the boy were killed as the gunmen sprayed bullets into the room.

But their intended target, believed to be a French-Algerian Mafia boss, escaped.

His bodyguard, 42-year-old Francisco Becerra Jimenez, was hit twice in the shoulder, twice in the ribs and in an arm and leg.

A police source said: 'No Britons were involved.

'This was one of the most serious cases of score-settling among the criminal fraternity who now plague this coast with their activities.'

In October, an unidentified east European died during a shoot-out in Marbella.

And in May, a French-Algerian man and a police officer were seriously wounded in a running gun battle.

Police say the Costa is gripped by organised crime.

Last year, they broke up 53 criminal organisations, many of them British, who were trafficking in drugs, stolen cars, arms and laundering money.

Do you allenTC2 Keep on thinking I am exagerating when I say (at least in
    Spain) we will see soon police officers using MP7s?

Best regards.

Calvi.
    Last edited by Calvi; 09-20-2005 at 06:35.

All I can say is "WOW". True enough, we (here in West Virginia anyway) don't have that kind of problem.

Re: Old vs. New...a weapon comparison

in Los Angeles crime is always high, but spun by the media as normal life, but sometimes i wonder when i will get shot at and if i will get hit. then i think of rodney king, north Hollywood, and, Darryl gates and remember that for as high as it is our crime is still lower than many other cities on earth. and why that is unlikely. anyway 1/6 police have it made cause we control their fate and the suspects'. we decide if combat joe is to go to jail, if barbie has drunken too much and her nudity is indecent, and when if ever we don't agree with no boundaries batman. did the joker get parole? you tell me, did mad max go over the edge.... of course....uhh did we find a psycho hobo? if we did, he probably got psychiatric help, or jail time. no matter what the case we must not forget that that crime occurs and we have an opportunity to help stop it.