Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces

Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces

Add your reference pics here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-3273801-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-3333713-jpg  

another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-rhodesia_camo_shirts-jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

yet more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-t55camo2-jpg  

Nice stuff Toyking !
    I know we had a Selous Scout refference thread going about a year ago .
    Will try to track it down a bit later .
    I know PD has some great pics as well .
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    •Winston Churchill•
    OSW Gallery
    BLOG

Crap ! ...Can't find it .
    PD HEEEEEEEEEELP !
    Also ...I forgot to mention that Nickfury has some badass links to images as well .
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    •Winston Churchill•
    OSW Gallery
    BLOG

Awesome! I absolutely love Rhodesian stuff!

I might have some pics on my comp if i find em' ill post em'

Here's some pics of a Rhodesian uniform I have. https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ight=rhodesian
    The actual pics I posted last year, both Nick and I searched for them back in January.

I think I still have the Rhoadie pics on my host site, I'll see if I acn track them down and post them.

Here's Aly's excellent Rhodesian trooper.
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ight=rhodesian
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Bren gunner

Deception team

Gympy tm

Gympy

Rhodesian poster

Plate from the Blandford ARMY UNIFORMS since 1945 by Digby Smith and Michael Chappell

Selous Scout from Orbis WAR IN PEACE magazine #26 - one inspiration for Aly's great Ridgeback

Scruffy lads

SOF cover

SOF cover 2

Stick

The last pic was scanned in before I figured out how to get a good scan on some of these pics. I'll see if I can find it and scan it back in better quality.
    You are
    What you do

Just to clarify--are these guys the Renamo? I'm a bit confused.
    I will be changed on the road that heads on to a new dawn
    Witness the Journey Through The Decade

here ya go from my collection

I have a few magazine scans I will try to get in today or tonight
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -Dr. Seuss

The troops pictured above are various Rhodesian units, wavehawk. Renamo was a movement backed by the Rhodesian government, and later the South African government. Renamo was supposed to counter the Mozambique Frelimo government, and the Zanla (Zimbabwe African National Liberation Army) it supported in operations against Rhodesia. Confusin', ain't it?
    You are
    What you do

NOW WE ARE COOKING WITH GAS !

Thanks for the shout out PD .

Is there a reference archive ?
    •Winston Churchill•
    OSW Gallery
    BLOG

Looks like we need to start one, as this all was lost once before. And that remains one of my favorites, Aly. You got him looking just right.
    You are
    What you do

Heres my contribution.
    Not really special forces but what the heck.

Rhodesian Afrikan Rifles 1976
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-rho1-jpg  

Guerrilla Fighter.
    Rhodesia Patriotic Front 1979

TK- the plates are from a Barnes & Noble Published compiled book.
    "20th Century Military Uniforms: 300 Uniforms from around the World
    - By Chris McNab"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-rho2-jpg  
    Last edited by DunkleGelb; 10-01-2004 at 09:02.

Nice plates. What book are those from? Is that Ron V artwork?

Originally posted by pukingdog
    Confusin', ain't it?
    - I'll say. So they were previously a government-sposored force, then switched sides? Or the governmentchanged hands and they didn't like the new changes (thus changing allegiances)?

I've just read a bit about Renamo, and what I've read isn't flattering by any stretch of the word.
    I will be changed on the road that heads on to a new dawn
    Witness the Journey Through The Decade

OK troops sorry it took me so long but here are some scans from a recent "Combat and Survival" magazine Hope ya enjoy........

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -Dr. Seuss

here are some more. By the way, the reason I stated this thread is because I am in the middle of some bashes featuring the wars in Africa from the 60's to the 80's. There is some awesome kitbash potential since many of these units used whatever gear they could find from the US, Britian, and USSR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-photo1-jpg  

here is another one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces-patrol-jpg  

More lost pics returned to the fold
    You are
    What you do

Nice dredge, here's my additions to the pot - hope someone finds it useful ..

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)As well as C.I.A. SOG and Blackwater
    I am starting to get into these conflict zones and nice pics here. Anyone know where I can find one of the S.A. vests outside of S.A. itself?

Really nice stuff, filupe. Those last patterns are intriguing, and a onesix version of the camo jumpsuit would be a dream come true.
    You are
    What you do

PD: Thanks – these pics are already a few years old, I have since obtained other items which need to be visually archived when time permits.

Saw249man: The SADF vests were marketed in the US during the mid-1980’s for a limited time – I recall a small advert in the classified section of SOF Magazine. I do know they were manufactured in ALICE material, but I don’t know whether they were US, SA or Asian made. A colour plate of a US Ranger wearing one exists on the cover of Osprey’s Elite # 13 ‘US Army Rangers & LRRP units 1942-87’.
    I have myself a version of this vest but in the pattern 83 SADF Nutria cordura – sourced in SA years ago.

South African 'Recce' vest, Pattern '83 version - front view

Rear view

Rhodesian 'Fireforce' assault vest - front view

Rear view - note difference in shape of upper pouch flaps - this was so one could be identified from the other at night.

Rhodesian soldiers from Support Commando of the Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI) wearing Fireforce vest - note their youth
    Last edited by filupe; 11-05-2009 at 06:56.

Those guys were like human hobnail boots.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

Here's a small contribution :

Selous Scouts beret :

RLI beret :

Most of my files are still in cardboxes due to a recent home-moving but I will post more as soon as it will be unpacked.

Filupe, nice stuff in your collection. Where did you get that pic of RLI ouens ?

In 83 and 84 I was in SA in a place called Secunda, which was built around the SASOL 2 and 3 plants which turned coal in to oil and gas.

The local Commando (i.e. militia or TA) unit used trials bikes - with clips on the handlebars to attach their Uzi's, which they fired on the move! Wish I'd taken some pics of them.

They were called out at least 3 times when I was there after Terrs launched rockets into the SASOL plants.

My own carry when I went in to Jo'burg was a 4" Colt Python.

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)As well as C.I.A. SOG and Blackwater
    I just ordered the book Fireforce from Chris Cocks and will be ordering the book The Saints soon as some reading material.