New USAF BDUs in T&E phase

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New USAF BDUs in T&E phase

New USAF BDUs in T&E phase

Here ya go. Mixed reviews so far. It's made of the same material as Marpat, with embedded AF logo and they will also be wearing UCMC style 8-point cover

Last edited by Q_Con; 08-08-2003 at 10:21.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

haha i just got done posting bout this at the Tippmann paintball forum..

That's my first reaction. I'm glad they're starting to use their new futuristic wing logo, but here they went and hid it anyway.

The AFSOC guys probably won't go for it at all. The Marines will strenuously object, that their unique cover is being pilfered.

Nope. Too many things working against it. IMHO it'll "never fly".

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks. I'm surprised no one emailed it to me sooner. I was trying to take a look at it. Some AF people down in Elmendorf are the test subjects in it. It was better than I had expected though. I like our old BDUs anyway, they'll never take that away! ...until they replace it with this anyway.

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Hi all:
    O great a new Air farce blue tiger stripe camo pattern to create I wonder how the USAF security police and parajumpers will react? They'll no doubt complain that they have 3 uniforms- you ain't gonna wear the uniform in the temperate forests unless there's fog
    xavier

I don't think the Marine style cover is fair to the Marines. That style is theirs and theirs alone IMHO, just like the "Ranger Roll"
    OH-58C Crew Chief 89' to 92' C Troop 1-7 Cavalry...Desert Storm Vet

IMHO these are the ugliest BDUs I have ever seen in my life, no wait, there are those street camos over at USCAV. So I guess they are not all that bad. What are they going to use them for in the field? As for the paintball wear it could "fly high".

I have to agree...that will never fly. The cover design will never get approval. But I guess it could seeing how Shinseki switched the black berets to tan for the Rangers anything is possible.
    I don't like this new camo design. It looks like a rehash of Vietnam era Tiger stripe pattern that just happens to have a USAF emblom on it.

News item, Reuters wire service...

Southern Military Territories 15 May, 2006
    -Commandant of SMT Forces vows to fight on-

Former Marine General Clemson J. Howell, acting Commandant of the Southern Military Territories, said that his Forces are in good spirit, and ready to carry on the fight against Washington. The two year conflict, caused by the twin actions of giving Ranger berets and Marine covers to other troops and Armed Services, resulted in the seizure of the American South, by hardcore Army Rangers, Marines, and sympathetic members from the American Military.
    Since that time, heavy fighting has continued sporadically, after an initial thrust by Federal troops was repulsed, with heavy losses.
    The Administration remains silent on the situation, at this time.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Yuck, who vomited tiger strips?

Boy...that is U-G-L-Y!
    Maintiens le Droits

I would like to see it in woodland or desert before I really say how much I don't like it. I don't care for urban MARPAT either, but the desert pattern I have grown to like.
    "... I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." Faramir son of Denethor, Steward of Gondor

I like the new look. Keeping with the into the 'wild blue yonder' scene looks pretty.

I feel sick
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

lookd like someone mixed blue dye with a washer load off tiger stripes.....

actully the air forces has been using that cover for awhile.. long while.. bout 13 years maybe i have my dads (woodland) i think SPs and PJs will stick to the reg stuff and this is more a "show off" thing wear around the base and what not... unless the air force has just taken over the navy (blue) i dont see it being worn in the paintball world ethier.. someone was just drawing attention to it over there on the tippmann forum.

OMG that looks like crap. It looks like the Air Force went to a Hawaiian shirt company for ideas. My first thought was that they had brought Gen. McPeak out of retirement to mess with Air Force uniforms even more. How the heck is that pattern supposed to work?.

"Written on label: Guaranteed to provide camouflage against the colorblind."

Being ex-Air Force, I feel unclean just looking at these pictures.
    Matt

Those things look like some Third World Banana Republic Militia uniforms..........yep, I can see a Combat Controller in those things!
    What a bunch of crap................
    More touchy feely from today's Military.
    Wooahhhhhh
    Mr. Taliban, you can't shoot at me anymore!
    I have my STRESS CARD out!

Hmm..dont like those things. Where you goin to blend into with those. Last time I checked I never seen a urban color'd tiger?

Hey, you know what??? I just remembered that the Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force, CMS Murray is coming to Eielson. Maybe, just maybe if it's not too late, I can ask him in person. I'll definately check and see if there's still time for me to have breakfast with him and ask him about these unis. How's that sound???

My eyes hurt. That pattern is just plain ugly. If the cameo has the same effect on our enemies' eyes as it's had on mine, there may be hope for it yet as some sort of non-lethal offensive weapon.
    Last edited by ChainGun; 08-07-2003 at 23:48.

is it just me, or do they look like hawaiian t-shirts?

By now most airmen have probably heard that we are going to wear test a new utility uniform, and you may be wondering why. Our intent is to create a uniform that will be distinctive, practical, easy to maintain, comfortable, and most important, a uniform you will be proud to wear. The wear test program will be conducted over the course of six months and will test 300 uniforms at nine bases representative of all our MAJCOMs and operating environments.Our current utility uniform has been adequate, but now is the time to develop a uniform that better satisfies our needs as a service. In designing this test uniform, we considered the requirements for camouflage, how and where the uniform is used and who uses it. Our current utility uniform dates back to the late 1980s, and much has changed since then. We have become a more expeditionary force, with less time at home to spend caring for the uniform. In the last twenty years, material technology has improved greatly. As a result, we have designed one uniform that can satisfy our various climates and utility needs while eliminating the need for professional ironing to provide a polished appearance. Just as the other services have designed uniforms to meet their specific missions, we need to ensure our airmen have a uniform that fulfills our unique air and space missions. Another important change is the greater percentage of women in the force. In the late 1980s when we first adopted the current utility uniform, women comprised less than 13 percent of the total force -- today they are nearly 20 percent of the force. Since then, women have been required to wear uniforms designed to fit men. The test uniform will come in a full range of women’s sizes, so women will be able to find a uniform that fits well. A uniform designed with the Air Force of the 21st century in mind will address these issues.
    The care and upkeep of the current uniform requires professional laundry service or a lot of dedicated time with an iron to make it look neat. This can cost as much as six dollars each time the uniform is professionally cleaned. The test uniform will be easier to maintain and will not require professional laundering, ironing and starching. We estimate that home laundering will potentially save between $180 and $240 in laundry costs over the course of a year.
    There are a number of other advantages to the uniform we have designed. The test uniform will employ the same fabric identified by our Marine colleagues as the optimum material for both durability and wash and wear characteristics. The test uniform pattern corresponds to the jobs our airmen do in most situations requiring a utility uniform, whereas the woodland camouflage pattern is suitable in only a limited number of environments. The pattern will recall the "tiger stripe" camouflage used during the Vietnam War, but with the distinctive Air Force embedded logo and a color scheme of blue, gray and green that preliminary testing indicates may provide better camouflage. We’re also making a number of changes based on inputs to the uniform board. We have located pockets where they will be most useful. We are also considering maintenance-free boots and alternative t-shirts that allow airmen to remove their utility shirts in hot climates without being out of uniform.

I ask that you take an objective look at the new uniform. It will be a distinctive Air Force uniform designed to fit well, look sharp and require much less maintenance than the current uniform. I think it will be a uniform you will feel proud and comfortable wearing. We will conduct the wear test throughout the Air Force starting in January 2004, and we’ll solicit your feedback. My goal is to provide you a uniform that will satisfy your needs, while ensuring that we maintain the professional warrior image of the world’s greatest Air Force.

Well maybe one good thing will come out of it; we won't have to spend time and money making our uniforms look alright. I've spent many hours trying to make my uniform look all straight and have the creases. If they have the same concept as the marines, they'll already have creases in the appropriate places so less time can be spent ironing the uniform. It also looks like they're wearing gray shirts underneath that uni. I personally don't want to wear a gray shirt with buttons on it as part of my uniform. That's just my .02, so I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Attached Images Attached Images New USAF BDUs in T&E phase-soapbox-gif 

I'd like to know what this will cost. I don't see what is wrong with the current woodland camo for temperate climates and the three color desert BDUs for arid climates. One would think that with the current strain placed on our military and its far flung international operations, money could be better spent on such things as R&D of new weapon systems, stockpiling munitions, procurement of weapon systems, and improving soldier's/sailor's/marine's/airman's pay and living conditions to increase reenlistment rates. This is a complete waste of money IMHO and is purely an Air Force ego trip.

Almost looks like a tie dye tee some banana head would sport at Lollapalooza.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

My opinion on these uniforms is incomplete. For one, I'd like to see the "Woodland" camo pattern, which is the standard pattern and not shown for some reason.

The "Blue" version don't look to bad, and reading the improvements such as better fit (specific cuts) for guys and girls is good. The logo is nice to have on, but I really don't mind either way on that (that's what the service tape is for). The idea of low-to-no maintenance will be welcomed. HOWEVER, I will say that developing a specific color "Blue" BDU has really no merit or reason for it. And to develop these new uniforms will cost a lot for the US Air Force, which I think could be spent better elsewhere. And, the cover is flat out a real bad idea. Although I have seen some USAF personnel issued these covers (i.e. the desert), most chose not to wear them, instead reverting back to the standard issued patrol cap or squadron approved caps. Yes, that 6-point cover is most identified with the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard and I think it should stay with them. Widespread adoption of this cover by the USAF will send a bad message (force wide) as to the direction of the USAF.

One thing I'd recommend is if the USAF wants to get new uniforms, then improve the existing one. Some of the ideas such as the improvements to the fit for males and female uniforms, and the new material for low maintenance are good and can be researched and adopted into the existing uniforms.

Ultimately, it is the active-duty USAF personnel that will provide the feedback to the senior leadership as to whether these uniforms will pass. Remember, their direction is "all, some, or none of these new uniform proposals gets either accepted or not." So the USAF isn't stuck with these uniforms yet. I hope those personnel will take the time and effort and provide feedback on what they really want because it is ultimately those who are serving in the USAF now that will be most effected.

Striker76: Good to hear that Chief Master Sergeant Of The Air Force Murry will be visiting your base in Alaska. Remember, your feedback is important, so take the time!

Why does the Air Force insist on finding the ugliest uniforms?

Clint

barabas: Pretty?! Pretty?!

Fighting men have no need of "pretty" things, for fighting is not pretty.

And as for the "wild blue yonder" stuff, I'm gonna petition the USAF to change its song. Too many "soft" connotations have been taken from it.

These hackneyed old stereotypes of the Air Force being the "soft" or "pretty" branch have got to stop. There are men who have given their lives, and they died in very un-pretty ways, to earn the respect the Air Force deserves as a fighting service.

So the same goes for the Marines. They should have their unique cover, and no one else. They earned it. And yet the Leathernecks still have to endure the same old epithets, and the same old stereotype - as the "unintelligent" service.

So, yes, the experimental BDUs are crap, and maybe the whole thing is a waste of time and taxpayer money. That doesn't make these stupid, tired, old stereotypes about the Air Force any less untrue.

(rant over)

BTW: I'm adding these words to the AF song: "You can run, but you'll only die tired."

The Air Force is a critical branch of the US Armed Forces.

The old saying "Fighter pilots make movies, bomber crews, make history." is very true.

I'm curious what 106 has to say about these new duds.

Personally, on the ground, it really doesn't matter what scheme of camo the ground crews where does it? Sure it's nice for each service branch to have a "distinct" uniform, but form a practical stand point is it reall that wise?

There are the usual arguments of expenditure and so forth, but what about the Friend or Foe uniform recognition aspects?

It seems to me these "new" blue tiger stripes look very similar indeed to the PRC's (People's Republic of China) Marine Pattern; also a blue tiger stripe.

Certainly uniform recognition is less important than it once was (as in the Napoleonic Wars), but as we move into a new era of MOUT and street fighting, it certainly helps to know who you're shooting at.

I know from a law enforcement position, the reason we have uniforms is to be highly visible to the public and to each other. Even our PSD's (Police Service Dog) are trained to recognize uniforms.

When working GIS (General Investigative Section), members wear "raid jackets" with bright yellow letters indicating they are Police Officers. Thus ensuring the regular foot soldiers do not mistake them for armed suspects in the heat of the moment.
    Maintiens le Droits