One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Tutorial : Headsculpt Painting and Toning

11K views 40 replies 36 participants last post by  rokmunky 
#1 ·
Here's how we paint our Headsculpt Castlebrimstone way!! ;)

for boring write up see my blog eh? http://blog.castlebrimstone.com/?p=499

Warning!!! Its kinda a strange technique .... hope you guys dont get shocked :lol

Our method could be broken down to 6 process as below :-

Process 1 has been shared before .. we'll focus mainly on process 2 to 6 here :)

The following is a quick (but lotsa pics) guide to do it....

Process 2 - Applying Base Coat and Painting Hair/Eyebrows

HS with base coat applied using airbrush and the hair/eyebrow painted. The 5 o'clock showdow is also applied using airbrush.

Process 3 - Toning by applying Pastel Dust

the pastels - mainly used are raw umber, red brown, burnt sienna, orange and red

pastel powder applied to the hs using a narrow tip brush

raw umber applied here

red brown now and then red....

hmmmm it looks like a friggin zombie - yipes!!! :eek

Process 4 - Blending the Colors

To the rescue - here's a bottle of water/plant spray...

Misting the HS with water and with this process the pastels get disolved

Using a broad soft bristle brush... the blending process begins

Here's the result at this point ... aint over yet

Process 5 - Refining Toning and Blending

Repeating processes of applying pastel powders and blending for orange and red.... that should do the trick ;)

Process 6 - Applying Matt Varnish

Last process - applying matt varnish - we use future floor polish mixed with Tamiya flat base to obtain a flat finish. The flat coat is good for protection and brings the HS to life ;)

Taaaa - daaaaa!!!! ;)

Average time to finish a HS (excluding process 1) would take 1 - 1.5hrs.... :)

For eyes painting refer to this : http://blog.castlebrimstone.com/?p=5

What do you guys think?

loco

See less See more
#3 ·
Great process Loco. Thanks for taking the time to do it and take all of the pictures and writing out all of these tutorials.
I think I can apply it to my own paintjobs, at least until the airbrushing bit since I lack that and the polish/flatbase.

#15 ·
Interesting technique, indeed, with good results. Question, though:

Do you keep repeating the process outlined in step 5 until you get the level of color saturation seen on the head in the first photo in step 6? There seems to be quite a bit of difference between the color level in those two photos. Thanks!

#23 ·
Thanks fellas! - guess this technique isnt that wierd huh?? :)

Here are answers to some questions :-
Why you don't fix the pastels before applying the varnish?
After the blending process, the pastel is kinda fixed unless another round of misting.... so the final process of varnish is all i needed to fix the pastels...

Who is that HS?
This fella is DML's Marcus Schaper http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/70352p1.htm ... big diff with a change of hair color eh ;)

What is the base color used to paint the sculpt? Looks like white or gray color?
The base coat is almost white . Its a special mix of Tamiya Colors. I had already abandon Tamiya Flesh ages ago, i find it to be too orange & reddish. The composition of our special formula is as below thinned down with acetone :-
- Tamiya Flat White - 95%
- Tamiya Buff - 4%
- Tamiya Clear Red - 1% (or couple of drops)
The grey bit would probably be the 5 o'clock shadow, around the chin area applied using airbrush - diluted German Grey

What is the percentage break down of Future to Tamiya?
Future Floor Polish mixed with Tamiya Flat Base at a mix of 1 part flat base to 10 parts Future to achieve a flat finish .... i got this from : http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html ;)

Do you keep repeating the process outlined in step 5 until you get the level of color saturation seen on the head in the first photo in step 6?
Yup - basically that's the idea, so by adding pastels powders and blending you would achieve the toning you are satisfied with... after a coupla of HS and getting the hang of it, the frequency of repeating gets lesser.... also a good thing about using pastel and water is any overtoning could be corrected :)

Hope you guys give it a try and let me know your results eh?

loco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.