weathering cloths [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : weathering cloths

CRAPBAG2000
03-23-2009, 10:24
Outside of pastels and chalks.. I was curious of any other techiques on weathering cloths.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

AEAFalloon
03-23-2009, 11:44
Well I assume you mean clothes and not cloths. Have you tried drybrushing with a little paint? I find it works best for me anyway, I think pastels and chalks often look a little too heavy.
Just my two cents. :thumb

Mr. Petey
03-23-2009, 15:53
personally, I leave my guys on the shelf till the dust ages them nicely, however, I have heard talk of soaking uniforms in coffee or strong tea to weather them

clhuke64
03-23-2009, 18:36
personally, I leave my guys on the shelf till the dust ages them nicely, however, I have heard talk of soaking uniforms in coffee or strong tea to weather them

That works on my R.C. Airplanes too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb

Craig

Artoo
03-24-2009, 08:08
What I do is rough up worn areas with sandpaper (knees, thighs, ass), then I get the material wet, and with white acyrlic paint, lightly dab on roughed up edges and let the paint get absorbed into the fabric. I also dab browns and blacks lightly all over and rub it in with my fingers. Once the fabric is dry, it looks old and soiled, the white areas look worn. You can do this in several layers. The fabric looks darker when wet, and sometimes the white I add looks like it's too much, but when it dries it looks natural, try experimenting first. :goodluck

tucker217
03-24-2009, 11:02
If you want to fade say a 95 dpm jacket to a 64 dpm jacket I use oilitum which is a health based product for dried skin but put some water in the sink put oilitum in swish it around and put what you want to fade in and leave it in for a while and it should go faded.

decadentdave
03-24-2009, 13:00
What's the best way to make sweat stains?

Artoo
03-24-2009, 13:46
What's the best way to make sweat stains?
Try a search in the "Search" function. This question has been asked numerous times with different replies. There are a lot of different techniques out there.

LAPD-SWAT
03-29-2009, 13:02
What I do is rough up worn areas with sandpaper (knees, thighs, ass), then I get the material wet, and with white acyrlic paint, lightly dab on roughed up edges and let the paint get absorbed into the fabric. I also dab browns and blacks lightly all over and rub it in with my fingers. Once the fabric is dry, it looks old and soiled, the white areas look worn. You can do this in several layers. The fabric looks darker when wet, and sometimes the white I add looks like it's too much, but when it dries it looks natural, try experimenting first. :goodluck

Can you please show some Detailed photos so that we can see what you are talking about? also, Nice Chimp in your icon. :devilhnd

Artoo
03-31-2009, 10:38
Can you please show some Detailed photos so that we can see what you are talking about?
Here are 2 different techniques I've done. The grey jumpsuit that the Fett figure is wearing was soaked in a small tub of water that had a small amount of black and brown acrylic paint mixed in. Saturate the material in the paint wash, do not ring out the water, and let dry overnight. The grey material has a real grimey look to it that is hard to capture in photos, the lights wash out subtleness. The photo is a little large to get a better look at the detail. The other pants were soaked in clean water and had the paint directly applied and let to absorb in or work in with my fingers. I have not attempted these techniques on dark colors.