Weathering For Noobs [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Weathering For Noobs

Tyrone_Slothrop
01-28-2009, 17:13
Hello there. I have recently jumped into this hobby and would like to know some basic 'tried-and-true' weathering techniques. Thanx!

FirefighterUK
01-28-2009, 17:26
Have alook in the search option mate. Plenty of 1st class advice in there.

Welcome to the OSW. Great place with Great people and their work. You will love it. I am new to kitbashing also and have found washing the clothing out first then using some wet and dry sandpaper with a quick going over to give a lived in look then finally adding a wash of pastels works for me. Bit of Hair fixing spray also holds the folds in on clothing well.

Weapon weathering I just go for a dusting of pastels with various shades of flat silver paints to give a effect of chipping and wear. Like I said have a good look on the search function as their is some top class advice, Enjoy.

cree82
01-28-2009, 19:09
Instead of all the hassle with pastels you should use Tamiya Weathering Powders instead. You won't have to hassle with shaving a pastel stick, and they are easy to use. Also, you can use Testors DulCote to hold the powders on and take the shine of of anything that you want to be flat.

Mr. Petey
01-28-2009, 20:23
truth be told, I leave them on the shelf long enough and the dust weathers 'em pretty danred good

Mercenary25
01-29-2009, 07:33
Instead of all the hassle with pastels you should use Tamiya Weathering Powders instead. You won't have to hassle with shaving a pastel stick, and they are easy to use. Also, you can use Testors DulCote to hold the powders on and take the shine of of anything that you want to be flat.

I use Tamiya Weathering Powders set too. I find it to be very effective. Little expensive but worth it. You could apply it on uniform, equipment, and even rifles.