Can you boil Sculpey Bake & Bend (SuperFlex)? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Can you boil Sculpey Bake & Bend (SuperFlex)?

CaseyStelken
01-11-2009, 14:32
Hey there, I'm a bit new to using Sculpey Bake & Bend clay (formerly known as SuperFlex), so I'm looking for a few tips. The main thing I'm wondering is whether or not you can boil it instead of baking it, like you can with regular Sculpey.

And if so, will it be as durable?

Also, if I have a boiled piece, is it easy to sculpt more onto it and then re-boil it if I rough up the original surface a bit to get them to stick?

This and any other tips are very appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
Casey

CaseyStelken
01-11-2009, 14:34
I forgot to ask ... is Bake & Bend Sculpey reasonably easy to sand down or Dremel once it's baked/boiled and cured?

Thanks!

Monsignore
01-12-2009, 02:22
To quote myself :D :

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=696643#post696643

I find boiled B&B too brittle and prone to develop cracks when bended; I'm currently working on a Starship Trooper MI and I needed the armour to be flexible, so I used MoldMaker and everything went OK - well, almost everything.

MoldMaker is far softer than SuperSculpey, so more care is needed handling it; moreover, it tends to curl when boiled, so a good move is to boil it still attached to a support (a word of caution: CD boxes do not resist boiling water :doh - a metal or wood plate will do).

Both MoldMaker and Bake&Bend can be re-boiled, sanded and dremeled without problem.

Hope it helps