Getting back into the action-figure hobby after a LONG time... [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Getting back into the action-figure hobby after a LONG time...

joea64
09-21-2018, 12:53
Good afternoon everyone! I'm Joe (hence my wonderfully unimaginative username ;) ) and I live in Northern Virginia with my two rabbits (whom I'll have to be very very careful to keep them from nibbling on my collection!!). When I was a kid many years ago, I had a large collection of 1960's/early-1970's vintage 12" G.I. Joe's and their equipment, and I didn't keep them pristine on a shelf either - I played with them (I once drove my stepdad nuts because he was getting the lawn ready for a neighborhood best-lawn contest and I dug it up for a trench-and-foxhole system for my Joes :doh:loony:lol ).

Tragically, they were all lost in a move and I didn't own any 1/6 figures for many years until I found the G.I. Joe Masterpiece edition replica/book in a bookstore, of all places, back about 20 years ago. However, I didn't really feel the action-figure-collecting bug bite me hard again until this past week - I went looking, on a whim, for a Marilyn Monroe 1/6 figure to display (I'm a big classic-movie fan), found the Star Ace "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" pink-gown version (MM's iconic outfit, you know) on eBay, bought it, and the next thing I know, I had located and bought the very rare Bettie Page Phicen doll! I've been on a stocking-up tear ever since and spent way more money than I like to think about :broke ...but I have a sweet little female 1/6 collection getting going now. :D In fact, I'm planning out to kitbash a Scarlett Johansson "Black Widow" figure now. Once my wallet recovers some, I'm going to hunt me down some more classic, or at least, replica-classic (since those are WAY more affordable) G.I. Joe's.