One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Photographing your Figures

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Lynkhart 
#1 ·
Greetings,

An interesting side-effect of my new hobby of collecting 1/6 scale figures has been that I am also enjoying taking photographs of my collection with various backgrounds, lighting, and of-course poses. But my setup is pretty make-shift and all my camera is just my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge).

So I'm wondering what other people are using for their photography. What cameras, tri-pods, lighting rigs, etc... I've bought computers and peripherals from B&H Photo and as such I have one of their very thick catalogs of cameras and photographic equipment. But if there's another source people frequent I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

--Foligatto

Here's a few of my back-yard attempts at photography using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, various laser pointers and lights, and my Star Wars LEGO collection in the background (which is yet another hobby of mine).

Wade heard Wanda was in town.

Took this image with Captain America - Civil War playing in the background on my tablet. Shined a laser pointer in Wanda's hands to give them the glow.

Nat heard Deadpool was in town looking for Wanda and wanted to make sure he was kept in check.

Nat and Wanda both heard that Thor was in town promoting his new Ragnarok trailer. So they all decided to pose for the paparazzi.

Tony heard that Nat and Wanda were partying with Thor. So he slipped into his Mark III Stealth to crash the party. (Mjolnir gets a blue laser pen.)

More harmless posing for the camera.

After a few too many libations, Tony and Thor fight over who's better: AC/DC or Led Zeppelin.

Whoa looks like this fight is getting serious!

Where's Cap when you need him?

See less See more
#3 ·
For serious photoshoots, particularly outdoors I use my Canon 400DSLR with or without a tripod depending on where I've got them set up. I tend to only use that if I have them on my desk though...

...but for everyday shoots I just use my iPhone 5, often with Instagram to jazz them up a bit. :)

J

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

For serious photoshoots, particularly outdoors I use my Canon 400DSLR with or without a tripod depending on where I've got them set up. I tend to only use that if I have them on my desk though...
I've been a big fan of Canon since the 80's when they first introduced their EOS line with the 650. I was able to play around with it but back then I was a high school kid who simply couldn't afford a high end camera like that. They sure have come a long way since then, and I'm definitely not a broke teenager any longer...though my wife still thinks I'm 13 at times.

With all the myriad of models currently out there, does anyone have any recommendations on a specific EOS model...or it's current successor?

My wife uses a Sure Shot which actually produces some really good photos. If the features and quality were good, I'd also consider a Sure Shot or even a (Nikon) Cool Pix...if anyone out there had recommendations on specific models from those product lines.

#6 ·
As a pro I'm tempted to enter in a deep and prolonged debate that will surely be an overkill: I'll spare you all about it!
All the DSLRs have double standards: pro and consumers, particularly on their lenses' quality...
At the moment my fav camera for taking pictures is the FUJIFILM X line, especially if you buy a model with interchangeable lenses: these are very fine lenses and their line has a constant quality. You can also mount vintage or modern Leitz or Zeiss lenses, and their X sensors are a notch above even on quite costly cameras.
And here I leave you: think about it.
:whistle

#10 ·
For still photography, any DSLR will do the job. Since you already own a Canon (and Canon lenses...) so go ahead for one Canon model that fits your budget. And also think about future use if you want to shoot sports go for a better model. But as I said, for still photography, any DSLR will do the job. Mount your camera on tripod for clear images with low iso in low light in case you don't shoot with strobe light like the pros.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.