Drawing backgrounds [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Drawing backgrounds

slobodaneee
08-17-2008, 13:13
Does any one know of a photo program that allows you to draw 3D backgrounds. I'm thinking of sci fi ships and cities.

Broadshore
08-17-2008, 16:01
As in 3d Models???? I work with Softimage XSI and Maya. Also going to start learning on to use Lightwave 3d. But there are other 3d Programs out in the market too. But, be expecting to be paying around 2 to 10 grand for a full license.

slobodaneee
08-17-2008, 20:31
Ouch! thanks for the response. Looks like I'll have to shelve the project. Toys aren't fun unless they are played with and I can't do that as I did as a kid.

Paladin
08-18-2008, 11:49
There are free programs i used to work with (or fairly cheap ones)
Blender for example and Milkshape 3d. I made Weapon Models for Counter-Strike/HalfLife Mods. It depends alot on how much detail you want, and how good your skinner is or how good you are yourself with texture making. The backrounds themselves could be made with [insert that program that generates scenic backdrops unfortunatly i forgot the name] combine the model with the backround via GIMP and you got yourself a backdrop.

I think all that together could be made with Poser but that costs a bit if i remember right, and you have to buy the models, not sure what they are actually made with

slobodaneee
08-18-2008, 19:36
There are free programs i used to work with (or fairly cheap ones)
Blender for example and Milkshape 3d. I made Weapon Models for Counter-Strike/HalfLife Mods. It depends alot on how much detail you want, and how good your skinner is or how good you are yourself with texture making. The backrounds themselves could be made with [insert that program that generates scenic backdrops unfortunatly i forgot the name] combine the model with the backround via GIMP and you got yourself a backdrop.

I think all that together could be made with Poser but that costs a bit if i remember right, and you have to buy the models, not sure what they are actually made with

Thanks for the advice.

otawerks
09-11-2008, 17:54
Putting 1 to 10 grand in a 3D program that you will take 3 months to get used to and minimum 2 years to start mastering in order to make a few background pics
is IMHO outrightly ridiculous, unless you plan to make a career out of it ....
My advice find a 3D fan board and ask arround if somebody would be interested in helping you do a background pic,
I'm sure there's a lot of guys that will step up to the challenge, in order to prove their artistic capabilities and that will be able to assist you
in acquiring a suitable 3D package for your needs, if you were still interested in making your first steps in the 3D realm.

slobodaneee
01-10-2009, 20:12
thanx

Paladin
01-10-2009, 22:32
In case you have Steam (the program for Half Life 2/Counter-Strike and such), there is a Mod called GMod / Garrys Mod, which is basically a Backround making mod, costs about 10$. You can download custom models and backrounds, pose them in a open map/world, take a screenshot and your done. Maybe thats something to look into.

slobodaneee
01-18-2009, 07:28
I don't have Steam, so I guess I can't use the program you mentioned. too bad because for $10 it sounds that it would have worked.

Paladin
01-18-2009, 10:43
http://store.steampowered.com/ there you go, just download steam, register an account and you can get gmod.

slobodaneee
01-19-2009, 13:27
thx