Painting a rubber 1/6 scale headsculpt. [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Painting a rubber 1/6 scale headsculpt.

lycan
06-09-2015, 18:19
I've picked up a rubber Michael Myers head sculpt. But I'm unsure what type of paint to use. Because it won't be used like a mask I was thinking would just acrylic paint be okay or will I still need some other type of paint?

Alastair
06-10-2015, 09:02
Hi lycan,

That all depends on what type of rubber it is. Chances are its PVC or Vinyl but could be also be latex, silicone or urethane. If you want the paint to bond and flex without coming off then you need to know so you can use the correct paint. If it is just going to be a static display then acrylic will work just fine .

lycan
06-10-2015, 15:54
Thanks for your reply. Yes it would be nice to know what type of rubber it is but it will be static so hopefully it should be okay.

lycan
06-12-2015, 18:30
It is urethane rubber.

Alastair
06-21-2015, 08:36
Acrylics are fine on well cleaned urethanes. Especially static displays.

88Reaper88
06-21-2015, 09:51
You can always clear-coat it to protect it from rubbing off

lycan
07-27-2015, 22:45
How about soft pastels. Are they okay as well or will it just not settle?

ezriderrj
03-24-2016, 08:19
How about soft pastels. Are they okay as well or will it just not settle?

Sometimes I use oil pastels to give flesh tone and freckles, over the acrylic.

DaFather
05-03-2016, 09:28
Some plastics and polymers just flat out resist taking any kind of paint, no matter what kind of prep you do. I couldn't get any kind of paint or primer to stick and stay stuck on a vintage GI Joe tank made of blow molded plastic, no matter what I did to clean it ( but amazing how the paper stickers stuck all over it, wouldn't come off when even wiped down with gasoline or soaked for an hour in soapy water ).

Searching for any way to get the project done, I found a site where people restore old Christmas yard decorations, and they used the same tricks car body repair and paint shops do.

They use a top coating binder, basically saying, a "glue" which bites into the material and then binds the paint onto the top surface of the binder itself.

Some people suggested using a coating of white glue, enveloping the item, and then painting on top of that, but I can't say I am a fan of that type of approach.

There are some choices of the products used by the body shops, some of them really rather dangerous to use, and expensive to boot, but one I found works well.

Sherwin Williams UPO7228. Comes in a spray can, applies quickly, but for best results you have to apply your primer and paint in 15 minutes to that coating while it is still "wet". About $30 a can.

ezriderrj
09-02-2016, 10:28
I'm very afraid of the toxicity of some materials, especially vinyllic paints (wich are full of plumb). This glue trick and acrylic paints are safer.