Sixth scale sewing material question. [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Sixth scale sewing material question.

sinchicken
08-07-2008, 15:38
I am very new to the boards and have looked for the answers to these questions but have not found them so I will go ahead and ask. If it has been answered in another post, please direct me to it.

I would like to know where to obtain (if its available) material that has small enough camo print to be used for sixthscale clothes and accessories. Any camo pattern will do for now, I just need a source.

Also, what do you you look for when buying solid color material (coyote, OD green, black) for use with sixthscale. Certain "feels" or thread count and thread spacing?

Sorry for the newbie question and thanks in advance.

CartoonMark
08-07-2008, 16:43
Use the lightest material you are comfortable working with. I like using muslin and dying it the color I need. As for the 1/6 camo, I've seen people make their camo by using printable inkjet fabric paper. It works well.

sinchicken
08-07-2008, 16:47
Use the lightest material you are comfortable working with. I like using muslin and dying it the color I need. As for the 1/6 camo, I've seen people make their camo by using printable inkjet fabric paper. It works well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Any recommendations for the brand of dye?

Also, I had never heard of the fabric paper until your post. I did a search and that stuff looks amazing. Thanks again.

CartoonMark
08-08-2008, 18:35
RIT is the brand I use

sinchicken
08-08-2008, 19:01
Thanks again!

Wally
08-11-2008, 11:57
Hi,
don't use Transfer paper. Try to print direct to fabrics. That will not be waterproof, but it looks fine.
I use cotton with an Epson printer.

sinchicken
08-12-2008, 11:54
I'll try that too. Thanks

hondo
08-19-2008, 20:57
I've been using printable fabric from Micheals or Hobby Lobby it comes in silk, cotton & something else. Real easy to use but it takes alot of ink.
It's usually in the isle with iron ons and what the clerk told me was the wearable art section.

henchgirl
01-24-2010, 17:17
Spoonflower: Print custom fabric on-demand (http://www.spoonflower.com/) lets you custom print fabric. (I just saw a post on here where someone uploaded camo designs for printing.) It can be pricey, but the resulting fabric will be fully washable and permanent. You can order swatches too, which is probably not a bad idea to check the texture and drap of the fabric.

You could also buy plain fabric and dyes and try "painting" your own camo designs. Fabric markers might also work. These can then be heat set so they won't bleed or wash away.