Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post

highwayman57
05-25-2015, 08:33
Several fellow OSW members and I have noticed lately that there has been a rash of new threads with vague or misleading titles & posts. Often it has been new members who have done this, but some veteran members are also at fault. The problem with this is that people who are looking for help or who have questions often miss out on getting the help or answers they seek. To help alleviate this problem, here are some tips to help properly put together an effective thread title & post.

Be Precise If your thread title is simply "Help", "Help Needed", or "Question", you may get several views of your thread, but no solid help or answers. Instead, put into your thread title what you are looking for, in as few words as is necessary. For example, if you want help with outfitting a figure of a British soldier in the Crimea in 1854, using "British Uniform" as your thread title is too vague; instead, try something like "Need help with British uniform in Crimea, 1854". That way, you will likely catch the attention of our resident experts on the British military who can answer your questions.

Use Proper Spelling and Grammar Although this forum is U.S.-based, it has an international membership, and many of them learned English as a second language; it's also likely that some of them write it better than you do, even though you may be a native speaker. Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate effectively. For example, capitalize proper nouns: it's John Wayne, not "john wayne", and it's WWII, not "wwii". Also, know the difference between "there", "their", and "they're", as well as "your" and "you're" (particular pet peeves of mine).

Be Concise Please get to the point. If you're asking a question, ask it, then close up your post. If someone who replies needs more info, then you can post a reply with the needed info.

Do Some Research Before Posting If you want to know what the going rate is for an out-of-production Hot Toys or Soldier Story figure, please check eBay first before posting here. If you want to know when the Woodland BDU was first issued, then please check Google or Wikipedia. If you can't find the answer in those places, then post here.

Be Polite It should go without saying that this is a high priority around OSW. Compared to another well-known forum (which shall remain nameless), we're a pretty darned nice bunch of folks around here, and we appreciate the same treatment in return. For example, if you have something complimentary to say about a kitbash, please go ahead and post it. On the other hand, if you have nothing nice to say, please consider carefully what you post. When offered in a friendly manner, constructive criticism is often welcomed; if you can point out any inaccuracies or offer advice to improve something, it is generally appreciated. When posting an opinion about a manufacturer's products, honest opinions (either good or bad) are valued by the members, so feel free to let your true feelings be known; just be aware of the fact that some manufacturers are members here too.

In closing, I didn't write this to demean or denigrate anyone here, it was just written as a (hopefully) helpful guide to make things go a bit more smoothly around here. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I sincerely just want to help make OSW a better experience for everyone, whether a new member or a veteran.

David

OLD TRAVELER
05-25-2015, 08:38
It seems to me a good idea

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

rogerbee
05-25-2015, 08:45
Fair points and well made.

CHEERS!

MisterToy
05-25-2015, 10:15
Great idea highwayman57. Let's hope your tips catch on :)

Eric

onesixthpolice
05-25-2015, 10:27
watcha talkin' bout', not speling goodly....? :lol

Seriously, good points made, excellent suggestions! :thumb

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-25-2015, 10:42
A good and useful post with totally valid points. My one area of reservation is that "On the other hand, if you have nothing nice to say, perhaps it would be best if you kept it to yourself." Within obvious limits of reasonableness and politeness, there's nothing wrong with negative, and I think OSW should be all about the comments, good and bad. If it's a comment on a kitbash, no one should be afraid of giving any criticism meant to help or for improvement, so long as it's polite, and it's about the bash (not the person). If it's a comment about a mass manufacturer, then frankly I think there should be no hesitation to make genuine negative comments, apart from no extreme language etc. It's always a good thought to pause before posting a negative comment and ask "Why do I want to post this," but I don't think we should have an artificial attitude of "Good thoughts only, no negativity here."

md123
05-25-2015, 10:50
Thank you so much for doing this.

highwayman57
05-25-2015, 10:55
A good and useful post with totally valid points. My one area of reservation is that "On the other hand, if you have nothing nice to say, perhaps it would be best if you kept it to yourself." Within obvious limits of reasonableness and politeness, there's nothing wrong with negative, and I think OSW should be all about the comments, good and bad. If it's a comment on a kitbash, no one should be afraid of giving any criticism meant to help or for improvement, so long as it's polite, and it's about the bash (not the person). If it's a comment about a mass manufacturer, then frankly I think there should be no hesitation to make genuine negative comments, apart from no extreme language etc. It's always a good thought to pause before posting a negative comment and ask "Why do I want to post this," but I don't think we should have an artificial attitude of "Good thoughts only, no negativity here."

I didn't mean by that to say that there should not be constructive criticism.
I will amend the comment to clarify that particular portion.
:thanks

David

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-25-2015, 11:22
I didn't mean by that to say that there should not be constructive criticism.
I will amend the comment to clarify that particular portion.
:thanks

David

I know you didn't mean to suggest there should be any restriction on constructive criticism. I wanted to stress that point because it may be that eventually your post or something like it becomes a Please Read top thread as recommended Posting deadlines. In that case it should reflect that we're not here just as cheerleaders, and there should be no restriction against negativity per se, just against rudeness etc. The line is probably different talking about the work of a fellow OSW'r than talking about a mass manufacturer (though ultimately they are people too).

MisterToy
05-25-2015, 11:28
I know you didn't mean to suggest there should be any restriction on constructive criticism. I wanted to stress that point because it may be that eventually your post or something like it becomes a Please Read top thread as recommended Posting deadlines. In that case it should reflect that we're not here just as cheerleaders, and there should be no restriction against negativity per se, just against rudeness etc. The line is probably different talking about the work of a fellow OSW'r than talking about a mass manufacturer (though ultimately they are people too).

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwmsixxZId1r8ij5jo1_400.jpg
Disclaimner: Not trying to be political here. Just having some fun with the last sentence in your post.

highwayman57
05-25-2015, 11:41

I've edited and (hopefully) improved that section to reflect your concerns. Please take a moment to read it again and see if it meets your criteria.

Thanks,
David

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-25-2015, 12:16
I've edited and (hopefully) improved that section to reflect your concerns. Please take a moment to read it again and see if it meets your criteria.

Thanks,
David

I think it's perfect -- well done :clap

highwayman57
05-25-2015, 12:34
I think it's perfect -- well done :clap

Thanks, MAM... I was trying to follow my own guidelines in my original post.

David

Tolerancer
05-25-2015, 12:53
watcha talkin' bout', not speling goodly....? :lol

:cheers

DeltaForceChung
05-25-2015, 14:36
Several fellow OSW members and I have noticed lately that there has been a rash of new threads with vague or misleading titles & posts. Often it has been new members who have done this, but some veteran members are also at fault. The problem with this is that people who are looking for help or who have questions often miss out on getting the help or answers they seek. To help alleviate this problem, here are a few tips to help properly put together a thread title & post.

Be Precise If your thread title is simply "Help", "Help Needed", or "Question", you may get several views of your thread, but no solid help or answers. Instead, put into your thread title what you are looking for, in as few words as is necessary. For example, if you want help with outfitting a figure of a British soldier in the Crimea in 1854, using "British Uniform" as your thread title is too vague; instead, try something like "Need help with British uniform in Crimea, 1854". That way, you will likely catch the attention of our resident experts on the British military who can answer your questions.

Use Proper Spelling and Grammar Although this forum is U.S.-based, it has an international membership, and many of them learned English as a second language; it's also likely that some of them write it better than you do, even though you may be a native speaker. Use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly. For example, capitalize proper nouns: it's John Wayne, not "john wayne", and it's WW II, not "ww ii". Also, know the difference between "there", "their", and "they're", as well as "your" and "you're" (particular pet peeves of mine).

Be Concise Get to the point. If you're asking a question, ask it, then close up your post. If someone who replies needs more info, then you can post a reply with the needed info.

Do Some Research Before Posting If you want to know what the going rate is for an out-of-production Hot Toys or Soldier Story figure, check eBay first before posting here. If you want to know when the Woodland BDU was first issued, then check Google or Wikipedia. If you can't find the answer in those places, then post here.

Be Polite It should go without saying that this is a high priority around OSW. Compared to another well-known forum (which shall remain nameless), we're a pretty darned nice bunch of folks around here, and we appreciate the same treatment in return. For example, if you have something complimentary to say about a kitbash, please go ahead and post it. On the other hand, if you have nothing nice to say, please consider carefully what you post. When offered in a friendly manner, constructive criticism is often welcomed; if you can point out any inaccuracies or offer advice to improve something, it is generally appreciated. When posting an opinion about a manufacturer's products, honest opinions (either good or bad) are valued by the members, so feel free to let your true feelings be known; just be aware of the fact that some manufacturers are members here too.

In closing, I didn't write this to demean or denigrate anyone here, it was just written as a (hopefully) helpful guide to make things go a bit more smoothly around here. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I sincerely just want to help make OSW a better experience for everyone, whether a new member or a veteran.

David

--

David:

http://home.comcast.net/~deltaforcechung/GOV.jpg

highwayman57
05-25-2015, 15:22
--

David:

http://home.comcast.net/~deltaforcechung/GOV.jpg
I'm glad you like it, DFC!

BTW, Blazing Saddles is my second favorite Mel Brooks movie!

David

DeltaForceChung
05-25-2015, 15:41
David:

I too thought about creating and posting such a thread, but given my acerbic humor style to say the least . . . if I did the context and intention would have come off the wrong way; therefore, I didn't go through with it.

I'm glad and appreciate you did and it came out well written in it's context, intention, and prose.

This thread needs to be a permanent/sticky post at the top of this section for new and old members alike.

highwayman57
05-25-2015, 15:50
David:

I too thought about creating and posting such a thread, but given my acerbic humor style to say the least . . . if I did the context and intention would have come off the wrong way; therefore, I didn't go through with it.

I'm glad and appreciate you did and it came out well written in it's context, intention, and prose.

This thread needs to be a permanent/sticky post at the top of this section for new and old members alike.
Thank you very much, DFC!

David

Von Luger
05-25-2015, 16:23
Brilliant suggestion and I fully agree. Appropriate guideline for posting!
Being a self confessed recovering "Grammar Nazi" I know how you feel highwayman!
Grammar is very important, it's the difference between....
helping your uncle Jack off a horse! or helping your uncle Jack, off a horse! ����

Ps
Should be made a sticky?!?!

CobraTrooper11
05-25-2015, 16:41
well....well said, and you proved your point! i'll be sure to consider what i am posting. i do hope, that i haven't made enemies here!

unklian
05-25-2015, 17:20
What a brilliant post. Highwayman you have put down many things I don't like about posting on OSW better than I could have done. I am glad at least one other person thinks the same as me !!
This should be stickied somewhere for all to read for sure .
Thank you !

DeltaForceChung
05-25-2015, 17:31
well....well said, and you proved your point! i'll be sure to consider what i am posting. i do hope, that i haven't made enemies here!

--

;) :p

http://home.comcast.net/~deltaforcechung/ENEMIES.jpg

Joebros
05-25-2015, 18:42
I agree, this should be pinned at the top as a "PLEASE READ." This needs to be read!

I'm also glad somebody posted something like this, and that I'm not the only person that sees the need for these "tips." This list applies to WAY too many posts. Thank you Highwayman57! :thumb

It's funny and sad to call them "tips", since all of them go without saying to some of us. It's like finding it necessary to tell someone to be quiet in a library. Who the heck doesn't know to be quiet in a library? Who the heck doesn't know to SPELL correctly when posting on the world wide web? Ever heard of "spell check"? Could just as well call it "Tutorial: How to not look dumb or lazy."

Another thing that bugs me (and this could almost be included with grammar/spelling) is people using texting abbreviations in posts. You ain't texting, so don't use it! Nobody is awaiting your response, so take your time and spell it out.

Thus endeth the sermon. ;)

DeltaForceChung
05-25-2015, 19:41
Another thing that bugs me (and this could almost be included with grammar/spelling) is people using texting abbreviations in posts. You ain't texting, so don't use it! Nobody is awaiting your response, so take your time and spell it out.

--

SO . . .

Abbreviations such as . . . (for example)

AFAIK | As far as I know
IMHO | In my humble opinion
POS | Piece of $%^&
WTF! | What the <CENSORED>!
IDK | I don't know

Would be better served and utilized if completely written out?

I'm just asking.

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-25-2015, 20:27
--

SO . . .

AFAIK | As far as I know
POS | Piece of $%^&
IDK | I don't know

I'm just asking.

At this point this is a matter left to personal style and preference, surely? I agree with the recommendations about spelling and punctuation, but as long as posts don't look like Twitter gibberish, I don't think we'd micromanage abbreviations, or make anybody write in a different manner than they're naturally used to.

Some of those abbreviations are legitimate enough to rate their own dictionary entries. "IMHO" has a much lighter casual tone than spelling out "In my humble opinion;" and WTF can't be spelled out at all. Plus we make strong use of emojis here so it would be weird to suppress abbreviations and contractions. IMHO.

ARROW
05-25-2015, 21:09
Want another tip?

Space your text out some.

Breaking up a big rant or something into paragraphs lends natural pauses to the reading, and even spacing some sentences apart can be used for effect.

It's a lot easier to read something that has a bit of care into HOW it is read, rather than reading a huge chunk of text. A lot of writers just want to get their thoughts out and down on the page (or screen), and they ignore ( or just aren't conscious) of how anyone else will read it. Some punctuation helps too, as does spelling, but the odd slip-up there is excusable if the whole thing is easy to read. Think of it as a gift to the reader, you respect them enough to take an extra bit of time and a few extra steps to make it worth their while. And it'll get your point across too.

But not if you write things like I just did. :knock

Just for an example, let's take that chunk of text and break it up just like I suggest and you decide if it's easier to read or not:

"It's a lot easier to read something that has a bit of care into HOW it is read, rather than reading a huge chunk of text.
A lot of writers just want to get their thoughts out and down on the page (or screen), and they ignore (or just aren't conscious of) how anyone else will read it.

Some punctuation helps too, as does spelling, but the odd slip-up there is excusable if the whole thing is easy to read.

Think of it as a gift to the reader, you respect them enough to take an extra bit of time and a few extra steps to make it worth their while.

And it'll get your point across too."

Zondi
05-25-2015, 21:25
Can I go off on a limb here and say that I think the post is written half-sarcastically? Hehehe. But some good points there. If it keeps on happening there will be a need for a reminder.

For me, I don't abbreviate. I "HAHAHAHAHA!" and not "LOL". I didn't want it to become a habit, to be honest, as I correspond via email with other professionals in my line of work. Personally, and this just my opinion, text-abbreviations, in whatever format, is reserved for the younger crowd. If you're over 30, you shouldn't be doing it!. I am assuming by that age we should be professional enough to have a decent conversation. Or maybe I'm just too old for that sh*t. :D

Having said that, I don't mind it if people do that. I don't care all that much. And I still try to figure it out sometimes if I can't understand so I can communicate with them better. I know enough that it is a generational thing. I grew up in the age of telegrams, where abbreviations are a necessity, so I have no qualms about it.

crusader1xxx
05-25-2015, 21:45
David thanks for writing this. I cant tell you as a mod how often we are asked to clean up or change a title or heading.

Just of note... If you don't like something say so, but have a valid reason or point. Saying something is bad for the sake of it doesn't help anyone. If for example the stitching is wrong on a uniform or item, then that is something...

DeltaForceChung
05-25-2015, 21:51
David thanks for writing this. I cant tell you as a mod how often we are asked to clean up or change a title or heading.

Just of note... If you don't like something say so, but have a valid reason or point. Saying something is bad for the sake of it doesn't help anyone. If for example the stitching is wrong on a uniform or item, then that is something...

--

Fine.

The coffee in the break room sucks.

The soda machine constantly does not work.

The biscuits and gravy in the cafeteria sucks. They use just cheap powered gravy mix and pre-made biscuits they just warm up.

Grey70
05-26-2015, 01:18
--

Fine.

The coffee in the break room sucks.

The soda machine constantly does not work.

The biscuits and gravy in the cafeteria sucks. They use just cheap powered gravy mix and pre-made biscuits they just warm up.

DFC, sounds like McDonalds or Wendy's.

I agree 100%

itchybitz
05-26-2015, 01:48
If I may add one thing, it's always seemed to me that many people do not realize that the title of a thread can be edited (by using the advanced option).
So if you make a spelling mistake or just realize the title is just plain invective you can change it.

Don't forget, what you title your thread also effects search results.

Good thread:)

Seth-Haveron
05-26-2015, 03:58
If I may add one thing, it's always seemed to me that many people do not realize that the title of a thread can be edited (by using the advanced option).
So if you make a spelling mistake or just realize the title is just plain invective you can change it.

Don't forget, what you title your thread also effects search results.

Good thread:)

sure?????
try it so many times....it never works....
how many times i want to add a (Update) to the title and nothing EVER happen there.....

jankatana
05-26-2015, 04:02
Thanks for creating this thread, great suggestions. I dont even bother reading threads with mysterious titles, dont have time for that. I use the search fuction a lot so good wording means good results :-)

highwayman57
05-26-2015, 04:18
sure?????
how many times i want to add a (Update) to the title and nothing EVER happen there.....

Well, you have to go back to the very first post in the thread to change the title. Changing the title on a later post won't work.

David

Zondi
05-26-2015, 04:54
sure?????

You have to be the original poster (or Admin) to do it. As far as I know.

itchybitz
05-26-2015, 05:14
Well, you have to go back to the very first post in the thread to change the title. Changing the title on a later post won't work.

David

Yes, I really should have mentioned that. I figured it out the hard way :lol

shovelchop81
05-26-2015, 06:00
I saw the title and was going to say "get off your soap box" BUT you have a very good point, I haven't been around as much as usual recently due to other hobbies, however if what you have pointed out is becoming a problem then it should be addressed to help clean up the threads as the Moderators have enough to worry about.

highwayman57
05-26-2015, 07:02
Thank you for your comment, Alex. I didn't want to come across as "Mister High-and-Mighty", trying to tell the other members how to do things. I was just trying to be helpful, and my aim was to make the OSW experience a little bit better for everyone. I hope that intent came through in my original post.

David

rogerbee
05-26-2015, 09:52
It did and it deserves a sticky.

CHEERS!

vince
05-26-2015, 10:05
Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-26-2015, 10:48
Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.

Maybe the guidelines should say something like "To the best of your ability, make some effort to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly" and maybe they should say "The "Preview Post" button is there for a reason, use it."

I think everyone totally understands with respect to posters for whom English isn't a first language and they get a complete pass from me. English wasn't my first language either. The things that highwayman57 is targeting aren't language skills, they're generally just carelessness, like not bothering to use capitals or punctuation. So it's more of an effort / manners issue. You can use spellcheck but it won't catch "there" and "it's" vs "their" and "its," so fix those by hand. Don't let Autocorrect on a phone or tablet, or imperfect Voice-Dictation, mess up your post without checking before you hit Send. That sort of thing.

highwayman57
05-26-2015, 12:06
Maybe the guidelines should say something like "To the best of your ability, make some effort to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly" and maybe they should say "The "Preview Post" button is there for a reason, use it."

I think everyone totally understands with respect to posters for whom English isn't a first language and they get a complete pass from me. English wasn't my first language either. The things that highwayman57 is targeting aren't language skills, they're generally just carelessness, like not bothering to use capitals or punctuation. So it's more of an effort / manners issue. You can use spellcheck but it won't catch "there" and "it's" vs "their" and "its," so fix those by hand. Don't let Autocorrect on a phone or tablet, or imperfect Voice-Dictation, mess up your post without checking before you hit Send. That sort of thing.

You're quite correct MAM; when I see a post by one of our members for whom English is a second language, I tend to disregard any errors that may have been made. That said, I feel it will be easier for them if those of us who are native English speakers try our best to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation in our own posts. Let me explain; most of them have probably taken structured classes in English where the strict foundations of the language were taught; they tend to better understand English if it is used properly, which in many cases here at OSW it isn't. Also, if the ESL speaker is using a translation app like Google Translate, our posts will tend to be more accurately translated, instead of ending up as a string of gibberish in their native tongue.

As far as native English speakers go, many of us have gotten lazy or forgetful when it comes to the rules of our own language. Things like using the word "loose" when you mean "lose", or adding apostrophes where they're incorrect (DVD's is not the plural of DVD, DVDs is), can be easily remedied with just a little bit of work.

Perhaps there are those who do not wish to make the effort; that's their choice entirely.

I'm not here to belittle anyone, I'm just trying to suggest some changes that will help improve the OSW experience for everyone.

David

onesixthpolice
05-26-2015, 12:32
English can be difficult to learn.....for instance, the word "read" can be pronounced reed, or red, so care must be taken when used in written form....

highwayman57
05-26-2015, 12:51

Vince, I fully understand your concerns. I've made a slight change to the original post:
Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly.

As far as the ESL-speaking members of OSW are concerned, I tend to give them a pass anyway. I know that learning a second language can be difficult (I studied both German & Russian in high school), and that sometimes errors will be made when posting in a different tongue. That said, I still believe that those of us who are native English speakers should put forth a little more effort when we try to post.

I'm not the grammar police, and I have no intention of picking apart posts to expose flaws in spelling, punctuation, etc.; I just want things to go a little easier around here for all of us. Fair enough?

David

hamtata
05-26-2015, 12:52
I just want to add a little thing: How to compose a proper sentence.

Please put a capital letter to start a sentence. Did school teach us that?

...because this is so hard to read. and if you don't put capital letter at beginning, it's hard to understand. because you didn't put capital letter. and when you don't put capital letter it means you don't know how to write. it's only an exemple. do you get my point? is it clear how? is it clear to read? ok thank you very much. see you soon.

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-26-2015, 13:06
I'm not the grammar police, and I have no intention of picking apart posts to expose flaws in spelling, punctuation, etc.; I just want things to go a little easier around here for all of us. Fair enough?

David

David, one of the compliments I can pay your Guidelines is to say that they are drafted completely in the same reasonable, intelligent, respectful and nonconfrontational style that you recommend for all posts generally.

highwayman57
05-26-2015, 13:14
David, one of the compliments I can pay your Guidelines is to say that they are drafted completely in the same reasonable, intelligent, respectful and nonconfrontational style that you recommend for all posts generally.

Thank you very much, MAM; I consider that high praise indeed!

David

minto
05-26-2015, 21:03
well i can't spell very good. that is one of the reasons i don't post any thing or coment on others posts

Joebros
05-27-2015, 02:51
--

SO . . .

AFAIK | As far as I know
POS | Piece of $%^&
IDK | I don't know

I'm just asking.I think those would be called acronyms, not abbreviations.
I'm talking about the use of "ppl" for "people", "L8r" for "later", etc, etc.
They are unnecessary for this forum, where there is space and time to spell it out.

.......... English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say. If not, and you are interested, ask them.I, too, always let it slide when someone is posting from outside the USA.
The trouble is, I see BETTER posts from people overseas than some posters from here! I'll see a horribly written post and think, "Wow, I wonder where they are from?", look at "Location", and they are from one of the lower 48.

well i can't spell very good. that is one of the reasons i don't post any thing or coment on others postsCan you use capital letters?

highwayman57
05-27-2015, 07:56
Just a brief note: I've made a few small changes to the original post, which in no way alter the overall intent, but soften the tone a bit in some areas. I think it's about as good as I can write it on my own, but if there are any suggestions, please do not hesitate to post them.

Also, several people have commented that they believe that this should be made a "Please Read" thread at the top of the main page; how many of you concur with that assessment? We've already had one admin state that he liked the post, but perhaps more opinions are needed to make it a top-of-the-page "Please Read" thread.

Thanks,
David

DeltaForceChung
05-27-2015, 08:36
Also, several people have commented that they believe that this should be made a "Please Read" thread at the top of the main page; how many of you concur with that assessment? We've already had one admin state that he liked the post, but perhaps more opinions are needed to make it a top-of-the-page "Please Read" thread.

Thanks,
David

--

:agree

highwayman57
05-27-2015, 11:50
Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David

minto
05-27-2015, 22:22
Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.

rogerbee
05-28-2015, 09:43
Congratulations, it's a sticky!

I'm one of those who even uses full English in text messages.

CHEERS!

itchybitz
05-28-2015, 10:03
Congratulations, it's a sticky!

I'm one of those who even uses full English in text messages.

CHEERS!
Me too, and if you have a smart phone it's actually easier.

Don't you hate when people post on forums as tough they were in a chat room - where speed counts.

rogerbee
05-28-2015, 10:08
I don't own a smartphone, my mobile is for outgoing emergency calls only. I don't need everyone to know where I am 24/7. If I'm at home, chances are I'm near to or on my computer. The landline downstairs has an answerphone if anyone is that desperate to reach me.

CHEERS!

itchybitz
05-28-2015, 10:10
Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David
Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought:)

highwayman57
05-28-2015, 10:40
Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought:)

Hmm... let me mull that one over for a bit... thanks, Nigel.

David

highwayman57
05-28-2015, 16:12
After a bit of thought, how about changing the title to simply "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post"?

EDIT: Or should it be as Nigel has suggested? Or should it be left as is?

Yes or no? LMK!

David

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-28-2015, 17:16
Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.

highwayman57
05-28-2015, 17:27
Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.

Hmm, when you put it that way, I can see the point of altering the title.

I will follow itchybitz's suggestion and change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title and post".

Many thanks to both of you!

David

itchybitz
05-29-2015, 01:52
Hmm, when you put it that way, I can see the point of altering the title.

I will follow itchybitz's suggestion and change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title and post".

Many thanks to both of you!

David
Cool, a nice bit of teamwork:)

Now we just have to teach them how to use the search engine:lol

swaveman05
05-29-2015, 02:58
Great suggestions!

Since I am new here--just joined today--it's always nice to know what is expected of members upfront. Having an understanding of how to draw the experts in to answer your question(s) is the key to success. From here on out, my threads will imitate a bug zapper so as to attract all the experts.

Even though I am not too familiar with forums, with my passion for 1:6 returning, I have a feeling I will be perusing this site on a daily basis. This thread will guide me on my journey to awesome kitbashes, weathering, and whatever else I can click on.

rogerbee
05-29-2015, 03:47
Sounds good to me. I know the mods stickied it as was, but, yeah, the new title is a good one. I just hope that folk read it.

CHEERS!

highwayman57
05-29-2015, 06:00
Now we just have to teach them how to use the search engine:lol

I'm going to leave that for you to handle, Nigel! ;)

David

highwayman57
05-29-2015, 06:20
Great suggestions!

Since I am new here--just joined today--it's always nice to know what is expected of members upfront. Having an understanding of how to draw the experts in to answer your question(s) is the key to success. From here on out, my threads will imitate a bug zapper so as to attract all the experts.

Even though I am not too familiar with forums, with my passion for 1:6 returning, I have a feeling I will be perusing this site on a daily basis. This thread will guide me on my journey to awesome kitbashes, weathering, and whatever else I can click on.

First off, welcome to OSW! :welcome

Be prepared to spend money like water, and grouse about the cost of new figures and loose parts :lol

Seriously though, I hope you find these tips that I've posted to be helpful. They were intended to make the OSW experience a bit better for everyone, whether a new member like yourself, or one of us old-timers.

Again, welcome and have fun here! :goodluck

David

The Ulsterman
05-29-2015, 16:10
Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.

I am not sure if this is some of you guys messing around, but if not, then it is very sad to read!
I hate the thoughts of anyone being made to feel left out of our great forum, and hobby!

I can see where you fellas are going with this, and generally what you're trying to do, and i think it's fine, but personally speaking, if i can understand what a guy is saying (even if it takes a little working out, then i am OK with that)

I just hope that some members who, let's say, just don't have the same intellect or vocabulary range as the rest of us don't start backing off because they feel uncomfortable. :poke

Just my thoughts,

Neil.

highwayman57
05-30-2015, 07:35
I am not sure if this is some of you guys messing around, but if not, then it is very sad to read!
I hate the thoughts of anyone being made to feel left out of our great forum, and hobby!

I can see where you fellas are going with this, and generally what you're trying to do, and i think it's fine, but personally speaking, if i can understand what a guy is saying (even if it takes a little working out, then i am OK with that)

I just hope that some members who, let's say, just don't have the same intellect or vocabulary range as the rest of us don't start backing off because they feel uncomfortable. :poke

Just my thoughts,

Neil.

Neil, I can understand your concerns. I did make several changes to the original post to try to address issues that were brought up by other members. Minto seems to have been distressed by the idea of using proper grammar and spelling, so I made a change to the section about that:

Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate effectively.

And I wrote this in a later post:

Perhaps there are those who do not wish to make the effort; that's their choice entirely.

It should be noted that these tips are simply suggestions for communicating more effectively, they are are not iron-clad rules that every member must follow or else.

It's also worth noting that the majority of the responses to my original post have been highly positive, with only a couple of grumbles about the ideas I put forth. Even the two admins who have read it (Crusader1xxx & Pukingdog) have approved of it, and have made it a "Please Read" sticky thread at the top of the page as a result.

Will some people be turned off by the idea? Possibly, but then we have at least one new member (swaveman05) who has read the post and written that he'll try to use the tips provided, so I consider that a "win" in my book.

David

pukingdog
05-30-2015, 14:29
In my time aboard, I have personally held that, if I could understand the intent, I didn't worry about some misspellings or misuse. That likely goes to being taught by a strict group of nuns, in my grade school days, and a resulting rebellious attitude.

At the same time, I know that others find some of the characteristics covered in this thread, to be distracting, and even irritating. David's approach seems reasonable enough (we have had far less polite postings in past years), so I see it as a positive effort.

As with most other subjects covered aboard, the best course (to my mind), is consideration, followed by use of the points, or not, according to one's own preference. After that, roll on, back to hobbying.

I hope that no one takes this to heart so much, that they feel that leaving is the only answer.

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.

Marcus Aurelius

Moonbase Alpha Male
05-30-2015, 14:52
I hope that no one takes this to heart so much, that they feel that leaving is the only answer.

I think that maybe some people don't necessarily grasp that highwayman57 simply assembled some positive suggestions -- and maybe they're afraid that now they're going to start getting crazy fascist enforcement PMs like "Your last post confused 'there' for "their" in breach of the Guidelines - this is your First Official Warning." Once it settles in how the thread is just a gathering of recommendations, these Guidelines will be useful to those who find them so, and will simply be irrelevant to those who don't.

The Ulsterman
05-30-2015, 16:49
Neil, I can understand your concerns. I did make several changes to the original post to try to address issues that were brought up by other members. Minto seems to have been distressed by the idea of using proper grammar and spelling, so I made a change to the section about that:

Hi David, No worries my friend,:thumb and i fully appreciate the lengths you are going to so as not offend posters who may "slip up" on grammar etc....i truly do.

Neil.

ferrariding
12-07-2015, 00:03
thanks for the guidance. great help

mearschman
12-07-2015, 09:05
Being somewhat of a newbie myself, this is much appreciated information. Thanks!

rogerbee
12-22-2015, 07:05
Something that members new and old could do would be to go to their User CP and add their location. I know a lot of you do, but, there are those that don't and maybe should. Many times you get a member asking where they can find something, it's far easier to make suggestions if we know where in the world they are.

There may be a retailer nearby which would help cut their shipping costs, or even a member in the same town where they could meet up. You can see now why that location is important.

CHEERS!