FIMO too soft... [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : FIMO too soft...

Sinergy
06-23-2008, 21:04
I'm just now getting into sculpting with fimo and read Tony's great tutorial on HS. His head looks almost wax like, but when I try working with my fimo, it seems almost too soft to work. My tools don't slice the clay, but more like gum it off...if that makes any sense...I've looked for stiffening agents, but no luck. Can some pro tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

Wolfmoon
06-25-2008, 16:31
Let it sit and stiffen a little bit.

wcazian
06-26-2008, 02:50
I've read on some sculpting forums that you can place the polymer clay between two sheets of paper and under some books for a day or so until desired consistency is reached. this is supposed to leach out some of the softening agent in the clay to firm it up a bit. I believe it will leave an oil type residue on the paper, maybe on the books, so be careful where you try this. I have not needed to test this method.

Sinergy
06-26-2008, 03:45
Thanks guys. I've tried both, but once I start to work with it, it just goes back to what it was....so soft I can't even maintain features. I'm going to try magic sculpt. I think all these years I got too used to working with clay.

KneeJoint
06-26-2008, 15:56
I got some great advice from Tony Barton...

First he recommends I use SculpyIII or Super Sculpy.

Secondly - he suggested I make an armature of sculpy then bake it so I have a nice hard surface to work on. The armature may not apply to the head you are working on but the baking to harden it up does.

If you do not over bake the clay - 16 minutes at 275 be 1/4 inch of clay - I go 12 minutes - you can continue to bake and re-bake the clay over and over (Tony has heads that have been in the oven 20 times)

That being said - Why not make your basic shape, pop it in the oven for a bit to harden it up (it will come out rubbery but hardens as it cools). Then you can work reductively with your blades, or add to it with fresh clay (use a little softening agent when adding on the clay). Then bake - carve - add - bake - carve - add .... so on and so on.

Here is a link to something I've been working on using Tony's advice.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/BlakJak13/Krait/

Sinergy
06-26-2008, 16:42
That's friggin awesome KJ. I orderd both some Super Sculpty and Magic Sculpt to experiment with....and your thought on putting it in the oven for a few minutes is exactly what I tried last night. It made a hell of a difference.

KneeJoint
06-26-2008, 16:54
Cool, glad it's working for you. That SculpyIII carves and sands like a dream once it's baked. I tried using my tools when the clay was still soft and I had the same results as you.

I have also ordered the Magic Sculpt. From what I hear this stuff is the bomb.

Redmond
11-22-2010, 08:06
You can carve it with sculpting tools once it's been cooked?

I'm starting to sculpt heads and feets and hands too and I'm using Sculpey Firm and I find it a pain to keep it from warping. I guess I have no choice but to sculpt in layers? Make basic face plate first, then add features?

Apoxie Sculpt is too sticky, and it warps too if I pat down a part, then it warps at the other end... I have an easier time sculpting in cheap clay once I've let it sit for an hour or two. :(

wah wah wah woe is me!