Tea or coffee dying ? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Tea or coffee dying ?

Jimmy C
02-24-2008, 16:32
Can anyone explain this process to me ? What is its purpose ? Can it be used to evenly dye clothing or is it just for weathering ? Will the item attrach bugs ?

Thanks
Jim

ActionMan
02-24-2008, 19:18
I've used both and it's pretty good for toning down by a couple of shades of tan. No problems about bugs, but it won't dye synthetic thread.

Mercenary25
02-24-2008, 20:28
I used coffee to weathering my sandbags. Very useful.

grizzerr
02-24-2008, 21:31
Never used it for dying but toning works well.

SGT1664
02-25-2008, 13:56
I have used tea for dying with very good results, Iuse around 5-7 tea-bags left for about 10 min to brew in a bowl and then squeeeeeeese out every last drop, pop my item in overnight (longer if required) and leave to dry.. it will lighten slightly but just experiment with time and the ammount of tea bags. i have used coffee with tea just to darken it more....SGT

irishjoe26
03-12-2008, 22:47
can i do this with like say Olive drab fatigues for a nam bash? will it help them look more weathered?

tang
03-24-2008, 09:32
I tried dipping the TS TAG khaki set in 2 bags of lipton and they turned out fantastic. They set looks much better, weathered and well used. No luck though on the TS EOD 3C BDUs. Is it cos that was synthetic material? I havent tried on the MEF green flight suit but sooner or later I'd have a go at it.
________
Vapour air one (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

cree82
03-24-2008, 10:30
Different teas have different results. The regular Lipton tea is great for weathering and getting rid of that shine that vest and pouches have. But for changing color schemes I use an Earl Grey breakfast tea, which is a little thicker & darker. I used this method on those overly green multicam's and the results we great.

tang
03-24-2008, 13:44
hmmm earl grey it is for my MEF green flight suit. Thanks cree82.
________
Ocean View Condos Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

cree82
03-25-2008, 11:37
hmmm earl grey it is for my MEF green flight suit. Thanks cree82.

Make sure it's the Earl Grey Irish Breakfast tea.

mjw664
01-27-2010, 14:50
How do u stop it stinking using these techniques?

blackops22
02-25-2010, 21:19
I'm new to 1/6 and I was wondering if that would have the same effect on SS's MARPAT

hicks451
03-17-2010, 09:32
I see that a few of you have replied to this thread but what disapoints me is that there isnt any pictures to go with the work that has been done? I would love to see some more pictures of before and after if thats no trouble to the members!!! Im new to this site but ive been collecting for some time now and its always good to see other members work and kit bashes so please add more pics!!!!!

tang
03-17-2010, 09:54
I see that a few of you have replied to this thread but what disapoints me is that there isnt any pictures to go with the work that has been done? I would love to see some more pictures of before and after if thats no trouble to the members!!! Im new to this site but ive been collecting for some time now and its always good to see other members work and kit bashes so please add more pics!!!!!

I m disappointed that u r disappointed. I was hoping u'd do a before and after pic seeing how we have disappointed u.

:tongue