Bashing a Mk 12 Mod 1 SPR [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Bashing a Mk 12 Mod 1 SPR



FDBMath
01-05-2008, 01:09
Hello all,

I don't know if you have seen my thread in the 1:1 forum (link (https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74801)), but I became interested in creating a Mk 12 Mod 1 rifle for a SEAL bash. At first, I was being lazy and felt that using the Dragon SR 25 would suffice. I started messing around with it and created a suppressor for it with some old bits from an ink pen and mechanical pencil.

Eventually, I decided to go ahead and bash one. After some surgery involving the SR 25 and a Dragon SR 15 with some straight pins and small diameter wire insulation I came up with this:

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/mk12a_small2.jpg

I took the front end and scope from the SR 25 and placed it on the rear end of the SR 15. For the bipod legs, I spruced them up a bit with some stick pins covered with the wire insulation.

Eventually, I will paint it and weather it (hopefully, weather cooperating, this week)

Thanks for looking!

GUNSLINGER
01-05-2008, 06:43
looks spot on to me. good work there !

Mlatch221
01-05-2008, 10:20
Nice looking rifle! I occasionally cast evil glances at my SR-25s and consider a similar bash.

pukingdog
01-06-2008, 06:20
It's been interesting watching this take seed and turn into a nice bit of onesix gunsmithing. Well done.

Hollowpoint
01-06-2008, 09:46
Looks good. Can't wait to see it painted and weathered.

FDBMath
01-09-2008, 22:29
Ok, time for an update:

I managed to get some paint on it. Unfortunately, I didn't take any progress shots of the gun between painting stages.

I used the following picture I pulled from the Matt Axelson tribute site (www.mattaxelson.com) as inspiration for painting the gun. As much as I would have liked to, I decided against trying to replicate it exactly and focused more on the colors used and the random nature of the pattern.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/MA6.jpg

I will do my best to describe what I did step by step (not that there were a bunch of steps):

1. Masked the rear of the rifle sight (since I lost the flip-cover) and painted the entire rifle black.

2. Once the black was dry, I sprayed Tamiya Light sand all over it. This step was a bit frustrating for me as the paint didn't come out of the can very good and was a bit runny. Once it was dry, I gave it another light "dust coat" to cover any missed areas.

3. Used "Handi-Tak" to mask off various parts of the rifle to create a bit of a haphazard and fiel-applied look to the forth coming camo pattern. I rolled the Handi-Tak and applied it all over the rifle. Once this was done, I applied Tamiya "NATO Brown." Ordinarily, I would use my airbrush for this, but it is in storage. I picked up the Hand-Tak tip from building plastic models. It works great as a masking agent and sits up from the surface preventing a real hard edge to the camo pattern.

4. Once this coat was dry, I then removed the Handi-Tak and reapplied it (a great benefit to Handi-Tak is that it can be reused a couple of time, just needing to be kneeded between uses). Then I sprayed Tamiya "NATO Green."

5. After this coat dried, I removed the Handi-Tak and broke out my finishing stick. Its a sort of emory board with a fine grit. I used this to keep from damaging the detail of the gun's mold.

After all this, the result looks like this:

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/mk12_camo_5.jpg

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/mk12_camo_4.jpg

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/mk12_camo_3.jpg

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/mk12_camo_2.jpg

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/mk12_camo_1.jpg

I forgot to mention that I cut some small strips of masking tape and placed them on wax paper and painted them when I applied the green to get a green colord tape to apply to the foregrip, stock, and mag.

I am happy with how it turned out. I am going to use some pastels to dirty it up more and give it a bit more of a used look.

Paladin
01-10-2008, 06:00
Very good result, im sure your happy yourself that you took the time and effort to built this instead of sticking with the lazy way ;)
Cant wait to see the finished bash, im sure it will be a great looking Lone Survivor.

STALL STUFF
01-18-2008, 16:15
The concept you came up wih for the bi-pod is great. I wish DML had used real springs. I will have to try my hand at making a set pf springs and add them to my M110 SASS (Semi-Automatic Sniper System) or SR-25 MK-11 Mod 0 SRS. I have made 1:6th scale springs before. You just need a lot of time and TLC.

FDBMath
01-18-2008, 19:28
I went with system because it was a bit easier to do since I had the materials readily at hand. I have been thinking about what to do in the future should I do something like this again or if I want to dress up another Dragon bipod.

Though not as nice as springs would ahve been, I think it is somewhat convincing since you can't even really tell they are springs in the photos when they are painting.

Hispanicgamer
07-29-2008, 13:13
Great looking weapon. I like your tip on making your own custom colored tape. I will try this. Thanks!