Help with photo editing [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Help with photo editing

crusader1xxx
03-04-2013, 23:01
Ok here is the problem and I am hoping someone who has experienced this can help.

When i take a picture with the camera tilted (to fill in the frame like for a picture of a boxed figure), no matter what i seem to do, it downloads to either photobucket or email tilted. I have edited the photo on the PC using the micosoft picture manager, then again i have to edit in Photobucket and even though it shows them upright, when loading into a tread on this forum they come out sideways???

I am at my wits end here? Help???????

Pickle Munkey
03-05-2013, 09:21
Hey Andrew,

Have you tried opening the picture up in Paint (or something) and rotating it?
I've had that happen a couple times before, but using an actual imaging program to rotate, then save it, seems to work for me.

8-bit commando
03-05-2013, 13:57
yeah, any basic image editing/photo manipulation program should offer a ROTATE option. either 90, 180, incrementally or even freehand if the program supports it. for example, on the mac, iPhoto will do this no problem at which point you can export and upload to photo bucket, flickr, etc.

append: maybe even use a dedicated piece of freeware if you're using a windows machine.

crusader1xxx
03-05-2013, 18:59
Thanks for the help guys, rotating the image is not the problem, keeping the image up right is. It seems no matter what program i use (photobucket or Microsoft program) the minute I go to put it into a thread on the forum or email it, it reverts back to the way it was shot.

I see in the threads I posted yesterday in which the pictures were sideways they are for some reason today, the proper way. now I did rotate, save and replace original on Photobucket, maybe it just needs time to adjust??

8-bit commando
03-06-2013, 12:44
yeah. database needs time to refresh the image. sounds like it's been solved. glad to hear it.

Ivan1GFP
03-23-2013, 15:16
Thanks for the help guys, rotating the image is not the problem, keeping the image up right is. It seems no matter what program i use (photobucket or Microsoft program) the minute I go to put it into a thread on the forum or email it, it reverts back to the way it was shot.

I see in the threads I posted yesterday in which the pictures were sideways they are for some reason today, the proper way. now I did rotate, save and replace original on Photobucket, maybe it just needs time to adjust??

Depending on your operating system (I have Vista here but have others as well), you can just right click and rotate the image without a tool.

When I do need a tool to do something, I have loaded the old Microsoft Photo Editor for something simple and GIMP for the more difficult stuff. GIMP is free and is quite powerful though very cryptic.

Perhaps it has something to do with EXIF information in the image? Can you point us at a thread where your posted images are not staying upright?

- Ivan.

crusader1xxx
03-23-2013, 16:23
Ivan

I think I have figured it out and you are right, it was the EXIF extension on the Jpeg that was reverting it back to the way it was shot, Basically the way the camera was set up to take photos This is my first DSLR camera so i am still learning...:knock

Ivan1GFP
03-24-2013, 00:38
Glad you worked it out. I don't happen to own a DSLR yet.

- Ivan.