FAMCOM 1/6 Figure and Model Convention [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : FAMCOM 1/6 Figure and Model Convention

siquisiri
02-12-2013, 23:32
At Frank and Sons May 25th and 26th!!!
Iminime's Denny Kim has confirmed hell be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zombie
02-13-2013, 13:28
Man, that is great news. I'll be there.

Dr. Denkenstein
02-13-2013, 13:45
I wish there is one here in Atlanta, Ga.

CobraTrooper11
02-15-2013, 01:57
awesome! i'm down for that!

MelDesigner
02-15-2013, 15:25
Reminds me of the One Sixth Xpo held 2 years ago.
Definitely gearing up for that.

siquisiri
02-16-2013, 02:01
Yep!!!! cant wait!!

CobraTrooper11
02-25-2013, 20:39
awesomeness!

azteca
02-28-2013, 16:40
POINTBLANKTOYS TOYWARRIORS WILL BE ATTENDING THIS SHOW SO MARK DOWN ON YOUR CALENDERS MAY 25 AND 26 2013 AND COME ON DOWN AND SUPPORT THE 1/6 SCALE HOBBY REMEMBER WITH OUT YOU THERES NO US :thumb GET YO PLASTIC FIXX ON AT FAMCOM GOING DOWN TO CALI GOING DOWN TO CALI

Favre4ever
02-28-2013, 17:46
great news all around!

zebraten
04-15-2013, 01:52
I can't wait. Who else plan on going?

Me! :hifive

azteca
04-15-2013, 18:24
we be there c u there

CobraTrooper11
04-16-2013, 22:45
count me in.

cdn_rhino
05-06-2013, 04:42
I wish. It's just not in the stars this year.

Someone grab me a SS SF figure.

markecho
05-09-2013, 11:21
Hello at FAMCON,
I sent you a PM regarding a booth.

Thanks!

HawaiiJoehead
05-11-2013, 10:44
I'm flying in from Hawaii for this. Can't wait!

ArtDamage
05-12-2013, 23:53
Going to be awesome!

Centrocal
05-13-2013, 20:34
Is it free to attend ?

ArtDamage
05-13-2013, 22:56
Is it free to attend ?

Yup

paverdude2007
05-15-2013, 18:29
me hope to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azteca
05-24-2013, 04:50
friday one moe day fo tha show :applause:applause slang words meaning ONE MORE DAY FOR THE SHOW :dancing see you there if your going .

Broadshore
05-24-2013, 21:01
I'll be there I hope. Looks for a fat bloated Irish Thai that's walking around. Wearing a DDPM Boonie. :P

12Bravo
05-26-2013, 10:44
I went yesterday and there wasn't much of a crowd. CalTek had the flak gun on display from Blackbox. One CalTek rep told me they are thinking about releasing the 88 gun again but this time with the trailer. There were some cool figures on display. I hate to say it but I think this hobby is going south when major 1/6 dealers like Monkey Depot, Cotswold, Timewalker Toys etc do not attend. It would be nice if the main manufacturers attended these functions as well. Not only to display future products but to show their support for the hobby and to the collector. I thought the purpose of these shows were to show off upcoming products and sell "Show" only items but each year it looks like more of a swap meet.

crusader1xxx
05-26-2013, 12:29
I hate to say it but I think this hobby is going south when major 1/6 dealers like Monkey Depot, Cotswold, Timewalker Toys etc do not attend. It would be nice if the main manufacturers attended these functions as well. Not only to display future products but to show their support for the hobby and to the collector

The thing about this hobby that you have to remember is that by in large it's a "on-line" hobby and the manufactures and retailers are spread out all over the world. They would go broke attending all the possible shows that come up. Now if a local vendor can and does not then that is the real shame...

For instance MD is in Arizona, TW is in Kansas City and Cots is north of Seattle on beautiful Whidbey Island.. it is not practical for any of them to attend a show in Cal.

The other thing is hobby has a much larger fan base in Asia, the shows there tend to attract thousands of people...not so much in NA.

12Bravo
05-26-2013, 13:02
These shows happen once a year. I don't think it is a lot to ask for the main companies to attend. Dragon has their USA company based in California. Send a couple of reps...a few products. As for the other 1/6 scale ebay/internet companies it is all a tax right off and it would be nice to see who you have been buying from for the last 10 plus years. These shows are about expanding the hobby, getting new people to join, to meet the people making the models and to see future products. The best shows I ever went to were Weekend for Heroes 2002 thru 2004 when they were held in Ontario, California. Dragon and Did attended those shows.

azteca
05-26-2013, 14:07
as for the show :thumb
not a lot of dealers but had a great time seeing all who did attend and custermers also was a blast thank you all who DID SUPPORT THE SHOW. thank you . hopefully they would do another one

zebraten
05-26-2013, 19:00
as for the show :thumb
not a lot of dealers but had a great time seeing all who did attend and custermers also was a blast thank you all who DID SUPPORT THE SHOW. thank you . hopefully they would do another one

Thanks for coming buddy. Had a good time chatting with you. Really helpful and a friend to the hobby.

DWINAR
05-26-2013, 19:02
This may have been said before, perhaps an event such as this would be better served if it were held on other than a holiday weekend. "Memorial Day" weekend is a time for many to honor our military dead with parades and special events. Many consider it the start of the summer season and have family get togethers. Tough weekend for a show.

Best,
Don Winar

azteca
05-27-2013, 00:20
dont know why people are complaining about the show be thankfull there are still people involved in making shows for the hobby and trying to hype it up a bit . :applause

azteca
05-27-2013, 00:23
Thanks for coming buddy. Had a good time chatting with you. Really helpful and a friend to the hobby.

thanx buddy see you next time and your figures are awesomer in person keep bashing :applause

ArtDamage
05-27-2013, 02:45
dont know why people are complaining about the show be thankfull there are still people involved in making shows for the hobby and trying to hype it up a bit . :applause

Getting burned on the supposed "exclusive" for one thing...

hyper inflated price for another...

As I've said meeting some osw members face to face was really cool and I had a lot of fun hanging out after the show, but the botched handling of the exclusive did tarnish the show experience a bit.

azteca
05-27-2013, 10:54
i for one thing did not really care about the exclusive or cal tek since i dont like the way they are handling things i got my 65 thousand a year that i was giving them and going some where else with my money i tell them good luck on the way they are handling there business . also there werent to many dealers to cover the cost on the exclusive so that was one problem . yes it was a smaller show it was not a military show and for that most people did not attended . there were fare prices out there that i saw and higher price also on older figures . never the less i had a great time .also you have to see the picture dealers have to pay the booth and expenses .:thumb
Getting burned on the supposed "exclusive" for one thing...

hyper inflated price for another...

As I've said meeting some osw members face to face was really cool and I had a lot of fun hanging out after the show, but the botched handling of the exclusive did tarnish the show experience a bit.

yankee1919
05-28-2013, 11:19
Hello,

As with any hobby, it will only survive if we maintain events or shows. It was great seeing some old timers and new generation of collectors and builders. I remember years ago driving from L.A. to Vegas for the One Sixth Fanatics show (i still have my patch) just to see other collectors and drove back home the same day.

All we can do is help the promoters and give them suggestions.

Tony

dewback matt
05-28-2013, 12:52
This was a "first time" show? well I went and it was a great start! YOU try and set up a show.. and if you are susceptible to heart attacks then be careful because a lot can go wrong real quick. This was really a great time and some SUPERB work shown. We can only have bigger and better shows if we support them and trade some green cash for items that we like and want. I am talking about having a show in the Bay Area (Northern Ca.) and hope to see a lot of interest for it. Picking a date will be the strong point and not to interfere with other cons and shows going on. I will keep this board in the loop so keep in touch. Oh by the way- it will be @ a aviation museum with a possible "open cockpit "day included. Keep this all in mind for a great show theme! Sponsors..? give me a holler!

Joebros
05-31-2013, 03:12
Ok, so this wasn't the best show I've been to.

This is how I see it; I didn't pay to park, didn't pay to get in, bought some stuff at the show and some stuff at Franks, talked to some guys I hadn't seen in sometime and got to hang out with cool people I don't see often. I had a good time, but not because it was a good show.

The amount of dealers was small (and some of those left Sat), people walking around were few, deals were here and there. And honestly, it was what I thought it would be. I wish it was better. It could have been better, for multiple reasons. Shows are a GREAT part of this hobby.

The exclusive situation was....odd. A show exclusive that you can't BUY at the show? It made no difference to me, but I gotta think if I came to get one, especially from some distance, I'd be upset. Not very professional, IMHO.

........ I hate to say it but I think this hobby is going south when major 1/6 dealers like Monkey Depot, Cotswold, Timewalker Toys etc do not attend. It would be nice if the main manufacturers attended these functions as well. Not only to display future products but to show their support for the hobby and to the collector. I thought the purpose of these shows were to show off upcoming products and sell "Show" only items but each year it looks like more of a swap meet.Maybe those dealers decided they'd rather stay in business longer by staying home, than lose money by paying $100-200 for a booth, plus room, plus food, plus gas, to sit at what was predicted by those that were at the first one (and those "in the know") to be a flop of a show.

As for the manufacturers, they can't get along enough to be in the same building with each other that long. Nevermind the fact that their presence there would have little to no effect on sales, so why spend the money.
Sorry to state the obvious, but they're only interested in our money.

If they hold another show next year, I'll go, God willing. Because....well....why not?

This was a "first time" show? well I went and it was a great start! YOU try and set up a show.. and if you are susceptible to heart attacks then be careful because a lot can go wrong real quick. This was really a great time and some SUPERB work shown. We can only have bigger and better shows if we support them and trade some green cash for items that we like and want. I am talking about having a show in the Bay Area (Northern Ca.) and hope to see a lot of interest for it. Picking a date will be the strong point and not to interfere with other cons and shows going on. I will keep this board in the loop so keep in touch. Oh by the way- it will be @ a aviation museum with a possible "open cockpit "day included. Keep this all in mind for a great show theme! Sponsors..? give me a holler!Actualy, there was another 1/6 show at the same place in 2011. That one was a little bit better, with more venders and more public.
As for you doing a show in the Bay Area, I'm guessing you've gone to the Sacramento G.I.Joe & Toy Expo (http://www.toyfusion.com/pages.cfm?cp=Sacramento_Gi_joe_show_and_Toy_Expo_2 013) and the San Jose Super Toy Show (http://www.timetunnelnews.blogspot.com/)?

HawaiiJoehead
06-01-2013, 12:40
I live in Hawaii and planned an entire eight-day trip around the FamCon because I was starved to see 1/6th scale stuff -- both to buy and gawk at. There is nothing else this big in the western U.S.

One retailer came from the Netherlands and another from Canada. One of the customizers came from Asia.

I spent over $1,000 at the show buying from as many dealers as I could not just to fill in the holes in my collection but to encourage them to come back in future years.

Yes, things could have been better organized and those in charge acknowledged that. More people -- manufacturers, dealers, customizers and hobbyists -- could have shown up and it's too bad they didn't.

I did not buy the exclusive and I didn't care, although I fully understand why people might be miffed about it if that's your interest.

If I can muster up the funds, I intend to return next year.

I heard the buzz about manufacturers not getting along and that's very sad to hear. Even in the sports card industry, as stupid as that got, they had (have?) an association. But ... business people do what business people do.

Ultimately, we can only control our own actions.

Thanks to those who put on the show and those who made the effort to show up. I was disappointed more did not attend but it did not stop me from having a really good time!

Oh ... one more thing, rest assured I will now choose to buy from Black Ops Toys, Point Blank Toys, War-Toys, Super Bad Action Figures, Urban Samurai, Plastic Panzers and the others who showed up having established handshake relationships with them!

Aloha,
Gordon

Geppetto2
06-01-2013, 16:15
As has been stated by a few I also feel the show was not so strong but I blame nobody but myself for not giving more of myself. What I mean by this is I have done dio's for shows in the past and just didn't feel like dealing with the pain of moving a large portion of my collection to do so this year. I know that my presence or lack of a presence will not effect any of the folks that have been in the hobby for a while but it can help the casual collector or newbie to decide to come and play with us full time. I also understand that with the fall of the economy and people feeling a tad skittish about spending money it does not help to have shows for hobby stuff. I will always hope that the day of the big WOH show or something like it will return but until it does we will soldier on with the smaller shows.

Jeff (Geppetto):thumb

azteca
06-01-2013, 16:42
to make a show successful you need 4 ingredients
1/sponsors
2/dealers
3'customers
4/promoter

xray66
06-01-2013, 18:50
I would suggest to anyone who tries one in the future... I personally think a more private and/or interesting location would be better. I think a nice meeting room someplace that is quiet and more personal. And maybe someplace that can also be interesting to see in itself, for any people coming from out of town. Off the top of my head...

Queen Mary, USS Missouri, Southern California Wings Museum, Fort MacArthur Museum, Planes of Fame Museum... There's probably others I'm forgetting. There's a few actually on military bases, but those would probably be too much trouble to get in and out of. There's some that focus on movie stuff, but those would be more expensive.

I did location production work for over 15 years, so I know a lot of places. Fort MacArthur in particular is a nice space. It's also well located in San Pedro. The air museums also have some awesome displays. I'd be willing to pay an entrance for a nice space.

One Shot GD
06-02-2013, 10:57
I attended the show (oneshotsworld.com) and I had a great time seeing all the 1:6 junkies who attended the show. As for the crowd or lack of crowd, it wasn't that bad....I admit we have been spoiled with all the past shows that SOCAL gets to host, I mean weve had GI Joe Con, The 21st Century shows, The WOH shows that used to be really nice when they were at the Ontario Convention Center. I get it that some of you may have been a little disappointed in the lack of vendors that were there, here's the thing though, Chris the guy who put this thing on for all of us is a guy who hangs out at Frank and Sons and I think he put his heart and a lot of effort just to make this thing happen. After all it was really just a showcase for "kitbashes" and "Modelers" in which case he succeeded in doing. (see Doc Von Evils amazing pictures of all the kitbashes over on his site to see what I am talking about)

The hard part for the vendors is that everybody currently sells all the same stuff
(Hot Toys movie related stuff is everywhere) and military stuff didn't seem to be the flavor of the month, I mean there were some great DAM and Soldier Story figures for sale if that was your thing. Point Blank Toys, Urban Samurai, War Toys, Black OPS Toys, Toy Warriors, Corner Store Comics and a couple more I don't know the names were also in attendance. So I really don't see how some could say there should have been more vendors in attendance.

for me personally...I had a great time (I had a booth as well and did pretty good actually) I got to meet up with a few old guys from this forum and it's always great talking with people who share the same interests as you do. I know most of you on this OSW forum don't really know me all that much but for those of you who do will always tell you "One Shot has a good time anywhere he's at"...ask Black OPS for free...we chatted about old school Godzilla movies for about 45 minutes! ha ha ha! that was a pretty cool time.

All in all I can see how maybe some of you felt the show could have been bigger or better, that's a matter of opinion and surely you are entitled to your opinion as for me I wanted to thank Chris for being a fan of 1:6 scale and putting his effort into bringing us a good show. I felt he did. :thumb

There's another 1:6 show coming up in September also at Frank and Sons and oneshotsworld plans on being there as well with a booth. Keep cool fellas and lets look forward until all of us 1:6 junkies can meet up again.

One Shot out!

One Shot GD
06-02-2013, 11:01
Btw...Dewback Matt and Joebros...you guys are class acts, it was great seeing you guys at the show.

zebraten
06-02-2013, 13:32
Well said, OS. I had a great time too. There were enough dealers to keep me busy and saturdays crowd was pretty good. And the bottom line was the show was free.

I look forward to Famcon II!

DonDuk
06-04-2013, 10:59
I go to Frank&Son quite often but this is the first time I've seen they set up a 1/6th show like this. I really enjoy and had a really good time spending all my money(almost $1500 cash) there on the show. I usually spend money on super hero figures, but some of the military figures on display there is getting me excited.
Since I am so in love with these figures I want to set up an account to start selling these thing on eBay. Did sign up an Dealer sheet with one distributor, don't know will get approve or not. Any one can help directing me to the right company to set up wholesale account?
I hope they will have another show like this next year. Don't stop!

Dave75
06-05-2013, 01:45
This is my first post on this site. Just joined. And I'm fairly new to 1/6 collecting as well. I fell in love the first time I saw images of Hot Toys Cap TFA and saw Sideshow's amazing Comic Con displays. Picked up that fig at last years Wonder Con, and opened my life to the 1/6 world. I Have added the Red Skull even picked up and extra body from Monkey Depot to display both versions of the fig, and I have the Avengers Cap as well.

That being said. I went to the show. And as small and intimate as it was I had a great time. It was my first time at Frank N Son's too so I admit I wasn't just at the small convention area. But for what it was I had a good time. The customs were amazing and inspiring as well. I hope to get into more customizing myself. Looking around I found some extra bodies from Black ops, one I plan on using the Chris Evans head from my Avengers Cap with the training set I was very lucky to just find from Cotsworld last week. Others just for some customizing here and there. I also met some great people and had some good interactions with people that love there shared passion.

Although this was my first 1/6 show I don't believe bigger is better. I do wish there was more yes, but only because I want to see more. However I'm OK with the smaller venue and more personal interactions. I've been to Comic Con and I've been to smaller conventions too. And what I see in the smaller conventions is more personal and direct with a stronger focus on the original intent. I was never at Comic Con when it was small but I really wish I could have checked it out before it became the commercial success that it is. The best time I had there was when I met Peter David one of my favorite writers (mainly Spider-man 2099) at the Marvel both. Hardly anyone was in line and I got to chill and chat. But I felt bad seeing so few people there. And artist alley you can almost hear crickets it seems. Everyone is in Hollywood land getting shwag (I admit I think freebies are cool too) but it's still kinda sad in a way. I mean these are the people who create the books that the con was based on in the first place. And now there kinda left in the wayside. Sorry for the long post. But I hope it gets my point across. I had fun and will definitely go again next year If Famcon is back in 2014 whatever the size may be.