NYC OSW meet up. Any takers? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : NYC OSW meet up. Any takers?

otaku72
11-16-2012, 21:45
Just gauging interest in a New York City (NJ & CT is also invited) OSW meet up. Potentionaly the first or second week in December. Looking to crowd source a potential place to hold this. All in? Drop a reply. Thanks.

jcast
11-17-2012, 18:11
Just gauging interest in a New York City (NJ & CT is also invited) OSW meet up. Potentionaly the first or second week in December. Looking to crowd source a potential place to hold this. All in? Drop a reply. Thanks.

Where in NYC?

otaku72
11-17-2012, 21:19
No place has been set yet. That would depend on the amount of people. Definitely Manhattan, below 40th street.

MisterToy
11-17-2012, 21:57
I'm interested. What would be on the agenda?

Eric

da Bronx Commando
11-17-2012, 22:39
You have my ear. I think the better planned out the event, the bigger the turnout would be. Just my $0.02.

MisterToy
11-17-2012, 22:49
You have my ear. I think the better planned out the event, the bigger the turnout would be. Just my $0.02.

:agree

Eric

otaku72
11-18-2012, 13:03
Space is at a premium. I've tried searching for places to throw meet and greets before. It always came down to rental spaces, which boils down to the almighty dollar. The amount of attendies will determine the size and price of the space. I've found one private conference room in midtown manhattan that seats 15 people max. The price is $100 for 5 hours.

If anyone has ideas for free, suitable spaces, please shoot a reply. Crashing a Starbucks won't cut it.

Showcasing bashes and rare figures is my main interest. I'm also for rare parts swap meet to help complete WIP bashes. And last but not least building offline connections with other local collectors.

MisterToy
11-18-2012, 14:16
Space is at a premium. I've tried searching for places to throw meet and greets before. It always came down to rental spaces, which boils down to the almighty dollar. The amount of attendies will determine the size and price of the space. I've found one private conference room in midtown manhattan that seats 15 people max. The price is $100 for 5 hours.

If anyone has ideas for free, suitable spaces, please shoot a reply. Crashing a Starbucks won't cut it.

Showcasing bashes and rare figures is my main interest. I'm also for rare parts swap meet to help complete WIP bashes. And last but not least building offline connections with other local collectors.

Showcasing bashes and rare figures is my main interest as well. If we can get enough serious people interested, I'm there.

You're right. Crashing a Starbucks definitely will not cut it. A private space is probably best.

Anyone else interested?

Fire_Team_Six
11-19-2012, 06:36
Sadly, from experience... East Coast folks are nothing like the folks out on the West Coast when it comes to this hobby. You can have the most planned, in advance notified, etc event... that you will even get plenty of RSVPs to... and then on the day of... Hardly anybody shows up.

This is one of the reasons I got tired of trying to host events myself... I had locals who would all ask for meets, I would pay out of pocket for renting a private location... and then... all but a few good, die hard hobbyists would actually show up... and the same ones each time...

Bronx, you should remember how this went that time we had the get together at Alexei's a few years back.

joeriot
11-19-2012, 10:51
Count me in! I would like to meet my fellow OSW-NYC 1/6 addicts!

How about a pub-crawl bar meet first to talk about our hobby? Show-and-Tell later? Somewhere in the city would be an ideal central location to meet rather than out in the sticks.

Joe

MisterToy
11-19-2012, 16:43
Sadly, from experience... East Coast folks are nothing like the folks out on the West Coast when it comes to this hobby. You can have the most planned, in advance notified, etc event... that you will even get plenty of RSVPs to... and then on the day of... Hardly anybody shows up.

This is one of the reasons I got tired of trying to host events myself... I had locals who would all ask for meets, I would pay out of pocket for renting a private location... and then... all but a few good, die hard hobbyists would actually show up... and the same ones each time...

Bronx, you should remember how this went that time we had the get together at Alexei's a few years back.

:agree :dunno

Eric

MisterToy
11-19-2012, 16:52
Count me in! I would like to meet my fellow OSW-NYC 1/6 addicts!

How about a pub-crawl bar meet first to talk about our hobby? Show-and-Tell later? Somewhere in the city would be an ideal central location to meet rather than out in the sticks.

Joe

To be honest, the "pub-crawl bar meet first to talk about our hobby" idea never works. So we meet at a few bars first? Where do we keep our stuff? I know that sounds like fun, but the last thing we would do at a bar is talk about action figures. Besides, it's easier to talk aboout a custom/kitbash figure with it right in front of you.

The atmosphere has to be conducive to the topic.

I suggested the same place I held the show over a year ago with Elvis1976. Simple Studios in Manhattan. Its easily accesible, clean and affordable, but if a room is rented and just 3 guys show to trade their old 21C stuff, then it's really not worth it.

I would love to attend a gathering with other customizers and kitbashers to show off our stuff, talk about technique and maybe trade and/or sell a few much needed items.

If this sounds good to anyone, let's hear from you.

Eric

otaku72
11-21-2012, 23:24
@Fire_Team_Six I definitely want to avoid that scenario, but I hear you.

@MisterToy I cosign.

I'd be happy with a small hardcore group of collectors and customizers that want to showcase their skills and prized pieces.

Joy Toy Man
11-24-2012, 18:22
I would be interested .

MisterToy
11-24-2012, 19:25
Cool. We've got a few people interested so far. Anyone else?

Eric

david_kay
11-24-2012, 22:59
I would be very interested but likely wont be in the area. sounds like it would be a cool meet

MisterToy
11-24-2012, 23:33
I would be very interested but likely wont be in the area. sounds like it would be a cool meet

We haven't set a date yet. Are you from the area?

Eric

otaku72
11-25-2012, 16:59
Bueller ... Bueller ... But seriously, so far we have:

Joy Toy Man
Mister Toy
joeriot
da Bronx Commando
jcast
Otaku72

Any others that are interested, drop a reply. Looking at sometime between the 4th and the 14th of Dec.

david_kay
11-26-2012, 02:34
We haven't set a date yet. Are you from the area?

Eric

NYC is a short trip (im on the New York side of lower CT) and worth it considering the lack of meets this area has imho. I couldn't go if it's before the 17th of Dec however. but I guess we can always see how dates turn out.

Fire_Team_Six
11-26-2012, 09:55
I would recommend waiting until after the new year for something like this. Peoples' schedules are generally quite busy this time of year, and especially trying to pull something together within a 2 week window is almost a sure fire recipe for failure. You want at least a month's notice for something like this so that people can arrange for the time off.

Just MHO from experience.

edwick
11-26-2012, 10:41
In theory, I'd be interested in a meet-up in the NYC area. In practice, it'd be nearly impossible for me to get the scheduling to work out and it's not going to be easy for me to transport much from my home in NJ to NYC (haul a small number of items on the train or attempt a drive, pay through the nose for parking, etc).

I'll be lurking to monitor the thread and once dates are finalized, I can say for sure whether I'd be able to make it. I know this probably doesn't help you very much, though...

joeriot
11-26-2012, 18:35
I'm not sure if I want to bring out some of the few customs I've made just cos its a pain in the ..... to haul and may cause to break, lose parts, plus they are posed so nicely in my cases. I can however bring a bag full of 1:6 loose goodies I'm willing to sell, swap or give away..

After the holidays would be best.. ditto on that.

MisterToy
11-26-2012, 19:13
I'm not sure if I want to bring out some of the few customs I've made just cos its a pain in the ..... to haul and may cause to break, lose parts, plus they are posed so nicely in my cases. I can however bring a bag full of 1:6 loose goodies I'm willing to sell, swap or give away..

After the holidays would be best.. ditto on that.

I don't know. I thought the main idea was to share and discuss each others work.

otaku72
11-26-2012, 20:38
So I am reading the consensus is post holidays. I'm saying January 7th to the 14th, most likely a Saturday afternoon.

Fire_Team_Six
11-27-2012, 01:29
Do you have a location yet? I think that is more important to figure out first than a date for the meet.

Again, this being just an opinion... but something IN the city itself is what amounts to being a pain for many people I think. The costs associated with the equivalent of rape that is charged for tolls and commute is what people have a problem with as well as transporting our items. Driving in you have tolls and parking depending on location. Those coming via train / subway, it isn't easy to transport stuff.

Personally I would be looking at minimum, $40 just to show up.

I'm not saying outside the city would be much better, As you still would have people needing to take the train, and still dealing with the same issues.

MisterToy
11-27-2012, 08:29
Do you have a location yet? I think that is more important to figure out first than a date for the meet.

Again, this being just an opinion... but something IN the city itself is what amounts to being a pain for many people I think. The costs associated with the equivalent of rape that is charged for tolls and commute is what people have a problem with as well as transporting our items. Driving in you have tolls and parking depending on location. Those coming via train / subway, it isn't easy to transport stuff.

Personally I would be looking at minimum, $40 just to show up.

I'm not saying outside the city would be much better, As you still would have people needing to take the train, and still dealing with the same issues.

With all due respect, but being that the show is a "NYC OSW" meet-up, any where out side of the 5 boroughs may be a pain those those who do not live in NYC. Having the meet-up in the city is the most convenient for most NYC members. Manhattan, aka The City, is easy to get around in by all major subway lines. Yes, parking is not the easiest, but I think if the meet-up is held on a Sunday, most who drive in should be able to find free parking.

Everyone from the nearby statues is invited, but if you're from NJ, CT or PA, there is no "convenient" place to meet for a NYC meet-up.

If the meet-up where somewhere outside of NYC, then those of us in NYC would have to pay tolls.

Please don't misunderstand my comments. I'm not discouraging anyone from other states to show. Hey, the more, the better.

Eric

joeriot
11-27-2012, 10:58
I don't know. I thought the main idea was to share and discuss each others work.

Good point Eric! I will then bring out from slumber a few of my best custom work for show-and-tell. Am still planning on bringing some loose items for swap.

With all due respect, but being that the show is a "NYC OSW" meet-up, any where out side of the 5 boroughs may be a pain those those who do not live in NYC. Having the meet-up in the city is the most convenient for most NYC members. Manhattan, aka The City, is easy to get around in by all major subway lines. Yes, parking is not the easiest, but I think if the meet-up is held on a Sunday, most who drive in should be able to find free parking.

Everyone from the nearby statues is invited, but if you're from NJ, CT or PA, there is no "convenient" place to meet for a NYC meet-up.

If the meet-up where somewhere outside of NYC, then those of us in NYC would have to pay tolls.

Please don't misunderstand my comments. I'm not discouraging anyone from other states to show. Hey, the more, the better.

Eric

:agree it would be convenient for us city dwellers. Maybe there is a back room somewhere at a pub we can use for a couple of hours during the day.. Let me look in to some. I know the owners at Otto's Shrunken Head (tiki bar in the city) on 14th bet Aves A & B. Let me check on it. Though I am kinda reluctant about revealing this mandollie hobby of mine to mere mortals.. lol! :bag

- Joe

MisterToy
11-27-2012, 11:09
Good point Eric! I will then bring out from slumber a few of my best custom work for show-and-tell. Am still planning on bringing some loose items for swap.

:agree it would be convenient for us city dwellers. Maybe there is a back room somewhere at a pub we can use for a couple of hours during the day.. Let me look in to some. I know the owners at Otto's Shrunken Head (tiki bar in the city) on 14th bet Aves A & B. Let me check on it. Though I am kinda reluctant about revealing this mandollie hobby of mine to mere mortals.. lol! :bag

- Joe

If presented as a piece of art rather than a "doll", you should be ok :)

Eric

otaku72
11-27-2012, 22:30
@MisterToy Thank you. Well said.

@Fire_Team_Six The location is determined by the amount of people that are confirmed since I am booking a private conference space. Room prices vary in price depending on size. So far I have found three different locations that are in the midtown manhattan area.

@joeriot The spaces I am looking at are set up with a large conference table with chairs and a private. Really suitable for a meet up. If you have an inside connect with an event space in midtown manhattan that is free99 please drop me a PM.

otaku72
12-01-2012, 13:33
Met up with @MisterToy today. The hour long conversation was a perfect example of what the NYC OSW could be. Items discussed: Top sculptors and customizers, kit bashing techniques, and prized collectors items.

MisterToy
12-01-2012, 18:22
Definitely a great conversation! Who's with us?!

Eric

joeriot
12-13-2012, 10:21
Sup NY'ers.. has there been a date or place set up? Lemme know! I would like to meet you all in person and discuss shop!

MisterToy
12-13-2012, 18:07
I think Nai is looking for sometime after the holidays.

Eric

Guarnere
12-16-2012, 09:46
Hey guys, i would be down for this! anyone know if we are looking at a weekend? because i would love to come, but im only home from school for a month and a half or so. after that i would have to drive home to go to ; and yes i want to and will be there ha! Also in terms of transporting, i happen to reuse the TS Vietnam figure boxes because they allow no real wiggle room and i intend on throwing them in a duffle bag and looking like any other person traveling in NYC ... Just an Idea

Guarnere
01-04-2013, 18:09
anything anyone?

otaku72
01-10-2013, 01:58
Meeting up with @MisterToy on Friday to discuss the details and dates. Will keep everyone posted shortly.

The Skull
01-14-2013, 14:04
I may be interested, where and when? it depends on that cause my work schudule is crazy.

eijjix23
01-16-2013, 04:21
is this going to happen? i've been lurking for a while to see when and where it would be before rsvping.

Stevenc90
03-13-2013, 08:27
Well been watching this for a while.... I work for a community College in NJ
(Ok fine! NEWARK I said it)(LOL)close to all public transportation, free parking and if your worried security LOL..If you would be interested I could look into possible getting a room (we seat 100 with about 12 10ft long tables for our Christmas party).. I don't know what the fee would...

Our how about a Barbecue (if your a drunk stay home)
Ideas , Dates
locations State park,
Make a list of who's brings what

just a thought

jcast
03-13-2013, 22:53
Well been watching this for a while.... I work for a community College in NJ
(Ok fine! NEWARK I said it)(LOL)close to all public transportation, free parking and if your worried security LOL..If you would be interested I could look into possible getting a room (we seat 100 with about 12 10ft long tables for our Christmas party).. I don't know what the fee would...

Our how about a Barbecue (if your a drunk stay home)
Ideas , Dates
locations State park,
Make a list of who's brings what

just a thought
I live in Newark, so I like this idea.

Guarnere
03-30-2013, 23:12
Any updates on this? Would still love to do it !

Green Snake
04-02-2015, 14:33
New guy here and read the previous posts (all of them actually), and was curious if this great idea was still in the works?