My first pants adventure (pics) [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : My first pants adventure (pics)

Sour
06-02-2011, 15:55
I still can't seem to find a free manual for my Singer sewing machine (#8220c) so I decided to try and sew by hand (never done it before).

I started two days ago, and this is my third pair of Jeans (imo, a success with a few more tweaks).

The first pair of jeans I made had a very weak crotch area, and I sewed incorrectly within the crotch and caused them to be "lowrise" jeans..-and the crotch was weak.

I tried to adjust this (second pair) by adding more length to the top, which sadly caused it to be baggier on the waist, and in result, I learned it was my sewing of the crotch region that will depict how much I have left for the waist. I also had a lapse in judgement and used the wrong outline for the left leg (basically just reversed it on accident) - so nothing really matched up...

My questions:

Is there any way to sew the crotch correctly? I know it's done first, but when I do it first I get confused (basically second guess myself if it's correct) - always seems wrong unless I do it 2/3 complete.

Also, is there any technique used to remove all the excess string in the legs (specifically near the ankles, waist, and buttons) - I use the backstitch but it leaves quite a bit of string inside..almost seems weak.

I figure by about the 10th pair of pants, I'll know exactly what to do, and how to do everything I need to for them.

I'm going to be adding/tweaking: Front pockets, belt loops, better back pockets, crotch pattern.

k9cop33
06-02-2011, 22:52
Looking good, keep it up and it'll all come together!

jessica
06-02-2011, 23:50
You can check out some free patterns for pants online, and you can see/eyeball how the fabric needs to be cut for a specific type of look.

These are way smaller than 1:6 scale (they are Mego-scale, so it's made to fit an 8-inch tall figure), but it's the only type of jeans I have made so far. I have not done 1:6 scale jeans...yet.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/apecityoutfitters/2011/DSC06778.jpg

Sour
06-03-2011, 01:14
Thanks cop!

Dang Jessica, that's beautiful work! Are you back stitching? Any tips for the belt loops?

Lynkhart
06-03-2011, 04:06
Well they look pretty good to me! I'm afraid I can't help you much as on the single pair of jeans I made I just eyeballed it and didn't use a pattern!

Steviebaby
06-03-2011, 07:38
It seems (seams?) you're looking for a free manual for your machine to learn how to use it for basic stuff. All sewing machines are basically the same in that regard...look for a basic "how to use a sewing machine".
Probably loads of Youtube vids on it also. Damn sight quicker and better than doing it by hand. Get a tighter stitch for one thing. Good luck!

jessica
06-03-2011, 09:55
I backstitch when I remember, but you should always backstitch when you first start something, and when you end it, to prevent unravelling. The best way to get rid of the extra bits of thread is just a really sharp pair of scissors. Gingher is my favorite brand of scissors, and an eight-inch pair will set you back $35, but they are totally worth it and will cut through fabric like butter. They also have smaller gingher scissors (for embroidery), and those may set you back $15 or so. These are great for snipping off threads, and they are very precise. Also, never use your fabric scissors to cut paper, because paper really dulls the scissors. I need to get my gingers professionally sharpened as the edges have dulled with use.

I'm sure there are better ways to make belt loops, but this is how I make them. First, you start with a thin strip of cloth and dot glue/or spread a thin layer on the wrong side edge of it:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/apecityoutfitters/burke006.jpg

Then you do the exact same thing on the opposite side, kind of like folding a piece of paper into thirds. The point is that you want to make sure that your belt loop does not show any raw edges. To make it look super sharp, you can iron this, and it will help the glue dry faster.

You attach the belt loop to the waistband (that's already sewn onto the pants). I like to punch through the middle of the belt loop, and usually end up using four tiny stitches. That way the belt loop should not be pulled off unless you use a lot of force. If you add a little fold on the top of bottom of each belt loop (to hide the raw edge), it looks cleaner than if you just snipped the belt loops. This isn't always possible, as some materials are thicker than others.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/apecityoutfitters/burke010.jpg

You can make several of these strips of belt loops and have plenty of them going on at the same time. I am lazy, so I bend down the belt loop and attach to the other side of the pants. Looks almost like a cool purse, huh?
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/apecityoutfitters/burke011.jpg

And for the best and most satisfying part, cut off with extremely sharp small scissors. Working belt loops need to go beyond the belt line...check out regular paints of pants. You should end up with the most professional-looking store bought kind of belt loop (hopefully). My pants usually have five belt loops, and if you just place them evenly, it will look great.

Oh yeah...you should always iron as you sew. Every time you sew a seam line, you need to iron the seam down the way you sewed it, and then open up the fabric and iron the seam open. It helps to make your own "ham" for ironing, especially for the legs of pants. I haven't used mine in a long time because who knows where it is, but I still iron as I sew.

Sour
06-03-2011, 12:37
Thanks for the detailed info Jessica! Great steps, feeling pretty confident now :)

jessica
06-04-2011, 15:37
I just had a super cool idea!! I think you should take your sewing machine to a local sewing machine repair shop. Bring a camera, and ask the guy there how to thread/work the sewing machine. Take photos to help you remember. I'm sure he'd get a kick teaching a guy how to use your machine.

Talysman
06-06-2011, 09:22
Not sure what kind of manual you're looking for, but this has a downloadable PDF:

Singer 8220C Instructions Manual (http://www.sewingmachinemanual.net/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/singer/Singer_Models_1000_And_Up/Singer_8220C_Instructions_ManuaL.htm)

Nicely done on the pants, as well :)

jessica
06-07-2011, 08:35
Sour I was thinking that since you are about to start sewing, you should just get into the habit of snipping off the threads as you go, instead of sewing everything up and snipping off the trailing threads. This way, you will establish a good habit and then all of the cleaning up is not as daunting.

Alice Adrenochrome
06-27-2011, 05:29
You can check out some free patterns for pants online, ...

Any hints on where exactly to look for these free patterns for trousers (and other cloths)? I'm trying to find patterns for 1/6 shirts and trousers. Are there patters for 1/6 at all on the web?

Sour, looks good so far! Really looking forward to updates on your work.

Sour
06-27-2011, 14:37
I just had a super cool idea!! I think you should take your sewing machine to a local sewing machine repair shop. Bring a camera, and ask the guy there how to thread/work the sewing machine. Take photos to help you remember. I'm sure he'd get a kick teaching a guy how to use your machine.

I actually did this and went to "Quality Sewing & Vacuum" and they had free 2 hour lessons on how to use your machine - taught me everything!

Not sure what kind of manual you're looking for, but this has a downloadable PDF:

Singer 8220C Instructions Manual (http://www.sewingmachinemanual.net/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/singer/Singer_Models_1000_And_Up/Singer_8220C_Instructions_ManuaL.htm)

Nicely done on the pants, as well :)

Thanks! I've found a few PDF files on the web, but unfortunately once you click the "download PDF" ..it directs you to a paypal page to pay $10 :( ...sneaky buggers.

Sour I was thinking that since you are about to start sewing, you should just get into the habit of snipping off the threads as you go, instead of sewing everything up and snipping off the trailing threads. This way, you will establish a good habit and then all of the cleaning up is not as daunting.

I started doing this! I decided to only back-stitch on the ends and meeting points, while snipping of my extra lengths as I go (rather than do it at the end). It's helped clean it up quite a bit!

Any hints on where exactly to look for these free patterns for trousers (and other cloths)? I'm trying to find patterns for 1/6 shirts and trousers. Are there patters for 1/6 at all on the web?

Sour, looks good so far! Really looking forward to updates on your work.

Thanks! To be honest I took a few weeks break (life, ugh) - and I forgot how to sew up the crotch area :doh - and I didn't have any real patterns to use except some old items I took apart..such a learning process! But I've started up a few pairs of suit-esque pants and hope to overcome that problem again!

jessica
06-27-2011, 17:14
Hey that sounds GREAT!! You are on your way now to a great headstart.

LauraJ
07-25-2011, 16:43
Those look pretty good for a start.
You might need to make the crotch depth deeper by extending the crotch out, rather than making the waist taller.
If you've got a Joann's Fabric nearby, signup for their mailing list, those scissors go on sale 50% off a couple times a year. It's well worth it to wait for a sale considering the price of good scissors. I like gingher's little embroidery scissors for my close work. And, watch for the notions wall to go on sale and get a bottle of Fray-Check. The newer formula stays softer than the old and is great where you can't put a backstitch.
I'm still working on those nifty pleated pockets.
@Jessica ... that's an interesting way to do belt loops, I'm going to have to give it a try.
@Sour ... found that Singer has a manual you can download free. But if you want a printed copy it costs.
Instruction Manuals | Singer Sewing (http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals/search)
It's always good to have a reference point to look up something you've forgotten.