How do you repair a broken barrel? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : How do you repair a broken barrel?

markdrake
05-27-2006, 07:24
I've got too many weapons with broken barrels. Glues don't seem to work as there's not enough area to make a good bond. Any sugestions? TIA

PSCMATT
05-27-2006, 07:56
I like using a two part epoxy you know the kind that come in the syringe looking dispenser. Im not sure of the name but it comes in a dual syringe setup that you can find at most well stocked Hardware stores. What I havent done that Id like to do is get a short length of metal tubing and drill a hole in the barrell and another hole in the other part of the rifle. I would use the tubing and the expoy in combination and you should end up with a pretty solid repair job. I like to hear how other fixed there broken barrels as my suggestion is not the ends to all.

B.C.Ries
05-27-2006, 11:48
I usually sand or file each end flat then use a minature drillbit in a handdrill to dril a small hole in the center of each piece. Then I put some sort of metal rod into the hole and test fit then I super glue it all togeather. If you just glue the barrel back on it will always be weak and prone to break again the real trick is to reenforce the weak point with some sort of metal pin, rod or tube. You can use plastic rod as well but then instead of being stronger than original it will only be as strong as the original if done properly.
Sometimes I don't glue the pieces togeather I just make a tight interference fit then you can take things apart and reassemble them. I just made a cone shaped flash hider for my Japanese LMG with a pin glued inside then I drilled out the barrel of my TUS Type 99/96 LMG. So now I can take the flash hider off and on.