Dirtying fresh camo [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Dirtying fresh camo

Sol_Siruken
03-23-2006, 19:11
I just recently bought some DML BDU Set 2 camoflague, and while I love it beyond all belief *matches my 1/1 sets damned nice* it's too bright for the bash I have planned. To let the mini-cat out of the bag, I'm going to be doing a Nam-styled bash, and I cant really have this flourescent camoflague...does anyone know how to "dirty" the camoflague, or fade it drastically within a week? I have a pair of faded rip-stop camo that came from another figure *SAW Gunner Lucas or something* and I'd like my new camo to be faded like so. Also, my sets are "fresh from the box" and crisp as hell, should I chuck em in the washer along with my normal clothes to gett em more 'well worn'? Any tips would help, thanks!

Bravo Bob
03-23-2006, 19:29
I just recently bought some DML BDU Set 2 camoflague, and while I love it beyond all belief *matches my 1/1 sets damned nice* it's too bright for the bash I have planned. To let the mini-cat out of the bag, I'm going to be doing a Nam-styled bash, and I cant really have this flourescent camoflague...does anyone know how to "dirty" the camoflague, or fade it drastically within a week? I have a pair of faded rip-stop camo that came from another figure *SAW Gunner Lucas or something* and I'd like my new camo to be faded like so. Also, my sets are "fresh from the box" and crisp as hell, should I chuck em in the washer along with my normal clothes to gett em more 'well worn'? Any tips would help, thanks!

You could try immersing the fatigues in a solution of tea, as Ii have heard that that will work. I actually dyed several pairs of tiger stripe fatigues [21C to be specific], with a cocoa brown cold water dye that seemed to work real well [check out my 'Nam SEAL below]. Good luck

Bravo Bob

Sol_Siruken
03-23-2006, 19:53
Few quick things. 1, Thanks for the tip, I'm gunna go brew some tea, 2 I hope this works, 3 that's a damned fine figure/camo job, 4 How detailed is that M60 *does the charging handle work/loader open/can it be taken apart and modified into a M60Ee *I have some parts laying around for an E3 and I'm contemplating buying a HT M60 shorty to modify it into the E3* and 5 do I just brew the tea and throw the clothes into a bowl of boiling tea, and let em stew for an hour? Thanks again!

grizzerr
03-23-2006, 21:31
Just boil the water add 3-4 tea bags stir it for a while then remove teabags and soak uniforms for an hour or so off the heat, stirring occassionally. If you leave the tea bags
in with the uniforms they may leave heavier stain where they lay against the uniform. Then just rinse the uniforms out and I throw them in the dryer on delicate cycle.

Sol_Siruken
03-23-2006, 21:36
Well I just tried that about 30 minutes ago. Unfortunatly dragon's ripstop camo is like some nylon tarp crap that doesnt absorb to save it's life. The tan spots are a little darker, but I need a DARK stain. Mentioned above was a cold water dye, does anyone know where I can pick that up/does it work for ripstop? Thanks again for the tips, both of you.

Bravo Bob
03-23-2006, 22:19
Few quick things. 1, Thanks for the tip, I'm gunna go brew some tea, 2 I hope this works, 3 that's a damned fine figure/camo job, 4 How detailed is that M60 *does the charging handle work/loader open/can it be taken apart and modified into a M60Ee *I have some parts laying around for an E3 and I'm contemplating buying a HT M60 shorty to modify it into the E3* and 5 do I just brew the tea and throw the clothes into a bowl of boiling tea, and let em stew for an hour? Thanks again!

Thanks for the compliments. The charging handle does not work :-( unfortunatley. The ammo can be removed, but that's about it. It is a 21C piece I had lying around after I modded the figure that came with it [again see image below]. He didn't fit the uni very well, and so I made him an "advisor" in the Gulf. My wife thinks he resembles me a bit [minus the weapons of course].

Bravo Out

ps the dye might be a little difficult to come by, although you could try a Joanns fabric store or Michaels and look around there. The link below covers a site where they have prices on the cold water dyes. Good luck

http://www.dickblick.com/zz013/05/

Sol_Siruken
03-23-2006, 22:24
Yet again another awesome figure, I plan on having an advisor or 2 for my bashes. Just another quick question, what color dye do you suggest I use, I'm thinking either koala brown or black, maybe gray or cafe au lait...any ideas?

Bravo Bob
03-24-2006, 11:12
Yet again another awesome figure, I plan on having an advisor or 2 for my bashes. Just another quick question, what color dye do you suggest I use, I'm thinking either koala brown or black, maybe gray or cafe au lait...any ideas?

Koala Brown was the color I chose for my tiger stripe fatigues. It'll give you a good "distressed" colorization. Keep in mind however, I also tried it on the Mike force uni from 21C, and it didn't take as well. By this I mean the green still tended to be the dominant color rather than being subdued by the brown. But it still works on the uniform and you can always "stone wash" the material [ weathering fx], more to make it more distressed or worn out.

Bravo Bob

Sol_Siruken
03-24-2006, 21:05
Well I'll be damned....the RIT Dark Green dye actualy worked!!!! I'll post photos once the camo gets out of the dryer! The before and after effects are totally insane, I should have dyed my desert dump bags as well...