Holiday bash WIP-- Interceptor sholder armor and collar (TUTORIAL ADDED!) [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Holiday bash WIP-- Interceptor sholder armor and collar (TUTORIAL ADDED!)

GrenadierStinny
12-25-2005, 23:17
After much trail and error, I was finally able to work up some sholder armor for the Interceptor vest that so many soldier in Iraq are wearing.

I don't know how to sew a single stitch, so I put it all together with my beloved Fabri-Tac.

I'm still working on the bash, but it'll probably be up in a few days.

Thanks for lookin', guys!

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/513/IMG_0970_copy.jpg

Eagle_MP
12-25-2005, 23:25
John! Thats friggin amazing! I know what I'm gonna start working on tomorrow! :)

s-ramos
12-25-2005, 23:31
Very good craftsmanship!

Just Clay
12-26-2005, 01:27
Your work is fantastic. Do you have a pattern for the shoulder armor in 1/6th? and if so would you share it?

Broadshore
12-26-2005, 01:38
Wow! Thats going to come out pretty sweet man!

Gamilaroi
12-26-2005, 02:12
Will look great on your fig!

SSG Felder
12-26-2005, 02:45
WOW...I am looking forward to the finished Figure.....Is the´re a chance of a How to in the near Future????? :) :p

playa_freak
12-26-2005, 03:52
thats excellent work GrenadierStinny!!!!! and like SSG Felder said any chance of a 'how to'??

Black Tiger
12-26-2005, 04:25
Damn Bro! That's an exact match to the real deal. I wouldn't mind paying you some cash to make me one. Excellent craftmanship and attention to detail.

My hat's off to you, man.

PSCMATT
12-26-2005, 04:31
Nice job anad yeah Fabri-Tac is a life saver aint it lol.

ScanmanDan
12-26-2005, 04:48
Cool idea and excellent fabrication. Who needs needle and thread when you have Fabri-Tac! :) Look foreward to seeing it on your next bash.

Dan

gaiagear
12-26-2005, 05:35
Brilliant stuff, John!! Looking forward to the bash!!

Saber
12-26-2005, 05:55
That's something NEW in a bash, very cool.
(Have you seen those armored shorts too?)
Looking forward to the fig that'll wear'm

GrenadierStinny
12-26-2005, 16:57
This might not be the best tutorial in the world, but I'll give it my best.

Here's the parts you'll need:

- the pic below
- tan velcro
- .375 tan webbing material (I got mine from GSTG)
- 2 bbi 3-color desert shirts
- sheet of matte photo printer paper
- Dragon SPEAR vest
- fabri-tac

First print out the patterns in the attached photo. You need to print them out so that the bottom of the smaller pattern measure 2" accross at the bottom. The larger one will be the right size at the point.

Use the larger pattern to cut out the back of a bbi 3-color shirt x2.

Use the smaller pattern to cut out the matte photo printer paper. I used this kind of paper because it's thicker than regular paper, but not as thick as cardboard. It's sturdy enough to build off of, but not too thick that it won't bend and look natural. You can use whatever you like that fits that requirement.

Then-- and this one is really optional because I'm not sure it made much of a difference-- use the smaller pattern again to to cut out the front and back of a Dragon SPEAR vest (you know, those really crappy, thin ones that don't look anything like a real SPEAR vest) and use the thin foam inside the vest.

Now you can build the main part of the armor.

Glue the foam to the matte paper. The sizes should be the same.

Take that and place it on the back of the cut-out bbi 3-color shirt part. Center it and then glue the edges of the shirt back and onto the matte paper/foam part.

Take the "fluffy" part of the velcro and cut the appropriate size/length and place around the outside bottom of the armor. (see 1:1 reference pic)

Cut two more appropriately sized piece of "fluffy" velcro and place them on the middle/top of the armor. (see 1:1 reference pic)

Then-- and this was a slight pain in the ass-- cut 8 pieces the .375 webbing to the appropriate sizes and place diagnal with two strips on each side of the armor. (see 1:1 reference pic)

Okay, you're almost there. Now take the two mangled bbi shirts and cut it from the bottom of the button/snap/velcro area up to the collar. Be sure to cut the right side. Repeat with other shirt. You need to cut a little beyond the stitching on the button area. You'll see it's a little rectangular shape that runs from top to bottom of the button area.

Now you should have two strips. You need to remove any buttons and velcro (depending on what kind of shirt you have) from the inside of the strips.

Take and place the "tooth" side of the velcro-- again, cut to the appropriate size-- and place a strip towars the bottom area of the shirt strip.

You'll need your figure for this part. Take the strips and velcro them together so that former button strip ends at the middle of the sholder armor. Wrap the strip with armor under your figures arm as if he were wearing it.

The last step is glueing the strip to the inside of the armor. With the armor on your figure you should see where the strip need to be glued so that it fits properly.

Once that's done, you just need to add .375 straps to the inside top of the armor and wrap it around the top sholder area of the Interceptor armor. Again, you can see this on the 1:1 reference pic, too.

Then, you should be all done!

Eagle_MP
12-26-2005, 18:50
Great tutorial John! I've already started workin on mine! :) Thanks a bunch for sharing with everyone!

playa_freak
12-27-2005, 19:53
thanks for taking the time out to write the tutorial!!!! now i have some work to do!

Zeke_Stone
12-27-2005, 20:01
In the words of that socialite Paris Hilton, "Thats hot".

Nighthawk264
12-29-2005, 15:00
Kool, kool, kool, I am going to have to try that out....!!!

All Mighty One
12-29-2005, 16:52
very nice man
thanks for sharing