Help copying a Sideshow headsculpt [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Help copying a Sideshow headsculpt

slobodaneee
10-10-2005, 18:13
Greetings,

I recently purchased a Highlander figure (Duncan with the ponytail). The head seems a tad large. I want to make a latex mold and then resin copy to later shrink in acetone. I realize I have a proble from jump street - the ponytail. If I dip the head in latex or coat it in latex, the latex mold will tear when I try to peal it off to pour the resin mold. Any suggestions?

Eagle_MP
10-10-2005, 18:40
How about molding the head and pony tail seprate?

derek
10-10-2005, 19:38
if you put a resin head in acetone, it will dissolve it.

you should just buy the frontline's highlander head. it wil be in proper 1/6th scale.

slobodaneee
10-10-2005, 21:23
How about molding the head and pony tail seprate?

I'm not sure how to do separate molds. I'm new to this molding thing. thanks for the advise.

Derek wrote, "If you put a resin head in acetone, it will dissolve it.
you should just buy the frontline's highlander head. it wil be in proper 1/6th scale."

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know Frontline had a Duncan headsculpt. To the experienced molders: Do copies turn out smaller than the original? Slobo

derek
10-11-2005, 13:44
I'm not sure how to do separate molds. I'm new to this molding thing. thanks for the advise.

Derek wrote, "If you put a resin head in acetone, it will dissolve it.
you should just buy the frontline's highlander head. it wil be in proper 1/6th scale."

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know Frontline had a Duncan headsculpt. To the experienced molders: Do copies turn out smaller than the original? Slobo

i'm sorry, i confused conner with duncan.

the amount of shrinkage will be so small, you won't be able to tell by looking at it. and unless you have the proper equipment, your cast will be full of air bubbles.

there is a product called hydrospan that allows you to make smaller or larger casts of items. you can find it from a company called "industrial polimers", i think.

i think "foolkiller" used it with success and made a few posts about it here.
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231722#post231722

sunohc
01-25-2006, 16:49
i'm sorry, i confused conner with duncan.

the amount of shrinkage will be so small, you won't be able to tell by looking at it. and unless you have the proper equipment, your cast will be full of air bubbles.

there is a product called hydrospan that allows you to make smaller or larger casts of items. you can find it from a company called "industrial polimers", i think.

i think "foolkiller" used it with success and made a few posts about it here.
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231722#post231722

So... are you recomming not to use the acetone shrinking method?
I read somewhere else on this forum that it shrinks it up to 30 %?
Thanks

derek
01-27-2006, 23:47
So... are you recomming not to use the acetone shrinking method?
I read somewhere else on this forum that it shrinks it up to 30 %?
Thanks

if the head is vinal rotocast and oversized, the acetone method works great to shrink it.

it it's solid injection molded, it won't work, and if it's resin, it will disolve in the acetone.

sunohc
01-28-2006, 00:26
What about smooth-on's liquid plastic 300, would that shrink? dissolve? not work?
THanks a lot!

derek
01-28-2006, 09:34
What about smooth-on's liquid plastic 300, would that shrink? dissolve? not work?
THanks a lot!

i can't give you a breakdown of every resin product that smooth on sells, but it's been my experience that resin disolves if it is submerged in acetone.

i've only had success shrinking hollow, rotocast vinal heads, and the results vary by company. hasbro/kenner heads shrink best.