slowness in opening pages?? [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : slowness in opening pages??

mike45
09-07-2005, 04:50
i dont know if its just me but since the recent updating of the site i have been experiencing a great deal of slowness in opening up threads and changing from page to page this slowness is only on this site since the update, im with AOL. I must admit my computer aint the biggest & fastest around but with all other net sites its fine just wondering if theres any tips you could give me to help eradicate this problem cause at the moment going on the osw is not a very enjoyable experience please tell me its something simple and fixable!!!

Ronin Six
09-07-2005, 11:50
Hi Mike, can you tell me how much of the page loads before it hangs? It'll be a good indicator of where the slowness is happening, and will help me isolate the problem. Thanks for your patience while I try to figure out how to make your experience here a bit more enjoyable. :)

mike45
09-08-2005, 05:19
Ronin Six please bare with me while i try and explain,lets say im opening up a thread like KOTM i'll click on it then the bar at the top will read OSW aug KOTM and the screen will be blank/tan colour the bottom bar will read opening this page and thats where it hangs until it opens fully which in one case took 10 minutes some threads are quicker to open than others but still ,they all take a fair ammount of time even going from the home page to login can take awhile.I do regular adaware sweeps and always clean out the temp internet files but this slowness only happens on OSW i'm not saying that it is the OSW it probally is my internet provider(AOL) or a connection problem i just thought i'd ask the question just in case i wasnt the only one, its a process of elimination.Any ways i appreciate the help Ronin, if you do find out any quick cures that would be great.Thanks

Ronin Six
09-08-2005, 11:58
Wow, so the page is completely blank while it's trying to download the page? If the header with the logo and the spinning globe loaded and then choked, I would have told you that it was the advertisements that were taking forever (since they're served from a completely different server than this site, thus making an additional trip to grab the ads).

But if the page is blank while waiting for it to download, I'll have to figure out what else might be happening. Thanks again for your feedback.

mike45
09-09-2005, 05:49
Sorry Ronin Six your right the logo and the spinning globe is there while the page is choking(computers ain't my bag)hope that makes sense.

Ronin Six
09-09-2005, 15:35
Bummer. Sounds like your browser might be choking on downloading or accessing the sponsor ad banners. If you don't mind sharing the info, can you tell me who your internet provider is, what operating system (Mac, Windows), and what browser you're using (Firefox, Explorer). Thanks! Not sure what I can do though. heh. A lot of good I am. LOL

crisibabe
09-09-2005, 16:04
Same here.

laughinggravy2
09-14-2005, 21:28
I get it occasionally, as well. Not always.

I'm on cable, XP Pro, Pentium IV, Explorer, blahblahblah .....I'm about as computer savvy as Boo Radley.

It's just like described. Happens about 2 of 10 times. Rest of the time, OSW is one of the fastest loading of my sites.

bluesparrow
11-17-2005, 07:29
It happens to me as well when I access this site using Firefox on a Macintosh(running 10.4.3) over DSL. Causes terrible hangs. It is very smooth when I view it through Safari though.

Porkins73
12-20-2005, 16:56
Well, I'm one of those that experience slowness as well.
What happens to me is, when I load a page, the status bar (below the screen) will start to show loading percentage and the whole screen will turns white and hangs. I have to click on the refresh button for it to continue loading. To be fair, this does not happen everytime. Maybe 2 out of 10 times. But the rest of the time, its just slowness, just like Mike's case.

I did usual housekeeping on my PC as well and other sites also loads fine.

Here are the specs to my machine :

Pentium IV, 3.0GHz
512mb RAM w/256mb sec cache memory.
Connection : Cable broadband

Any info will be greatly appreciated :)