Need help! casting rubber heads [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Need help! casting rubber heads

jimmiroquai
08-16-2005, 01:35
Do you guys know any tutorial sites on casting rubber/plastic DML style heads? Or do you have tips of your own? I've got the sculpting part down but it would be much easier to cast copies... Please help! :)

jimmiroquai
08-16-2005, 02:52
Nevermind, i found the thread. :)

presidents888
10-26-2005, 11:37
Hi there, Do you knw how? dun mind telling me?

jimmiroquai
10-28-2005, 03:23
Sure! I'll look for the link and post it here. :)

jimmiroquai
10-28-2005, 03:44
Sure, i'll look for the link and post it here. The thread is somewhere in the customs area. In the meantime, in general, its like this:
Materials:
a head to cast, silicone RTV, modelling clay (non-sulfur containing), a plastic cup, a little super glue, xacto knife, casting material (polyester, epoxyresin), plastic sheet.

Molding:
1. Glue head, right side up on a small piece of plastic sheet. sculpt small "keys" out of clay right beside the neck for the neck-post mold to fit in.
2. Cut the bottom out of the plastic cup. Place cup upside down surrounding the head. this will be your mold "box". Make sure the head doesnt touch the sides of the cup. Seal around the bottom with clay. Draw a line on the cup corresponding to the back of the head (where you are going to cut the silicone later on).
3. Pour the silicone
4. After it cures, turn the thing upside down, remove the plastic sheet.
5. Now we make the neck-post mold. make a mold box surrounding the neck hole and keyholes (the impressions of the keys you made with clay earlier) with more clay. Spray a releasing agent and pur more silicone.
6. Once everything cures, release the mold by first separating the neckpost mold from the main head mold by peeling the former off the latter. Then cut the silicone along the line you drew earlier on (back of the head) and release the head. Cut along the whole length but only half the diameter of the silicone cylinder.

Casting:
1. Tape the main mold together
2. pour the casting material thru the neck hole
3. plug the neckpost mold into main mold
4. once cured, remove casted head

That's it!

presidents888
10-28-2005, 09:24
thanks, so do you found the link?