Please Help: Any Info on Making Lenses for Optics [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Please Help: Any Info on Making Lenses for Optics

cree82
08-12-2005, 14:38
When I was looking through the galleries I noticed that several kitbashes had custom lenses in their optics. I saw a modern kitbash in particular that had red lenses on an ACOG (on an M4).

Can someone tell me:

1. What material/plastic were used
2. Where to purchase
3. What was used to cut/shape the lenses

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

specforce205
08-13-2005, 01:15
Cree82.. Plastic modelers have been using a product available on line and at most LOHS called (Microscale Kristal Klear) to make lenses for years.

It comes in a small white plastic bottle, and is a water based acrylic resin, it can be applied with a brush and or toothpic. The product goes on milky white, but dries perfectly clear. You can change the dried color by adding a small amount of food coloring to the mix then apply. Nice thing about this product is that it can be drawn across a surface to make a flat lense using the toothpic or dabbed in a droplet to form a slightly curved surface. Hell some train hobby modellers use it to form scale windows on their layout buildings. Pretty amazing stuff.

Then again, if you want to get into lenses that emit real light, grain of wheat bulbs both clear and colored have been used for years by the guys building scale emergency vehicles, powered by watch batteries in some cases. but that's another story all together.

Microscale Kristal Klear at a few bucks per bottle beats the hell out of buying a $70.00 scale die cutter set, in order to punch out perfect scale circles in clear or colored mylar sheets all day long.

Just my 2 cents on this subject, hope you find it useful.:bag

cree82
08-13-2005, 02:55
Specforce205 thanks for the info. I checked into die tools & plastics the other day, and thought there has to be a more economical solution.

Microscale Kristal Klear sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks again.