OSW Official Chat Room Guidelines [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : OSW Official Chat Room Guidelines

pukingdog
07-06-2005, 16:37
While free-flow conversation is the driving feature of the chat room, a few guidelines have been composed, to facilitate uninterrupted use by members.
Jinning up more rules and instructions, is second-only in my list of favorite tasks to Dremeling out my eye-socket. Chat room has a far looser set of restrictions than the main forum. It has inherent possibilities for problems however, which restrict the normal flow of conversation. These guidelines are meant to reduce the possibility of such encounters, and free up chat for enjoyable conversation.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

_ Abusive behavior -
Railing against non-OSW boards, and members, specifically insulting them with descritions of their origin of birth or sexual preferances.
Goading an individual, making threats or vague implication of threats, harrassing members on the main screen or side-channels (indicates failure to follow available procedures).
Arguing beyond simple disagreement, i.e., becoming over-heated or abusive.

_ Anonymous or "sock-puppet" attendance - It is the nature of the chat room that unknowns will enter, and while some may feel socially uncomfortable with divulging their forum IDs, they should be expected to do so, on request. Failure to do so, can result in warning and if necessary, removal. Side-channel discussions, particularly with admins and moderators, may aid in circumventing any misunderstandings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_ Side-channel use* - In cases of chat-initiated deals, as well as previous-trade discussions, members should go to side-channel, clearing the main window for chat.
If two members of the chat engage in disagreement over some matter that goes beyond simple statement, they should go to side-channel, to spare other members unwanted roles as witnesses. If one feels the other is too abusive, or threatening, they can engage the ignore user mode, and contact the admin present.
In actuality, some of the problems that occur in chat should have been dealt with by other means, i.e., email, AIM, telephone, admin or Trade police.

*(Side-channel can be initiated to or by another member, by clicking on their chat name in the right-hand box name stack. Keep in mind that when you open that window, you interrupt any typing input they are currently engaged in, in the main window. It requires a bit of practice and patience by all parties.
If it becomes necessary, you can shut others off by using the Ignore button.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_ Admin/mod action against troublesome chat members -

Chat is rife with the possibility for misunderstanding as well as just plain trouble, so sometimes awkward moments have to be left open a bit for accurate assessment. If the situ cannot be defused, or becomes a hindrance to general chat, then the party or parties receive one warning and then if necessary are removed.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

There may be more added to these guidelines as time passes. It's a matter of experience and 'lessons learned". Hopefully it will mean the continuation of a good time in the chat room, where members can get to know one another a bit better.

Mike

Hollowpoint
07-08-2005, 18:29
Ok PD, it is a sad day indeed when you need to do something like a list of rules for the chat.

pukingdog
07-08-2005, 19:08
Hey, we're only human. Besides, we don't have to install grenade screens, so that's a plus...

Solid Snake
07-08-2005, 20:04
Well I know HP is human but i'm not too sure about you PD... either way i shall break every rule tonight! I HAVE TO PREPARE FOR STUFF! just kidding.

knuckles1970
07-08-2005, 21:45
Oh I don't know, Dremeling an eye socket can be fun. It hurts so good.

Pvt. Ryan HOH
07-09-2005, 15:33
Originally posted by pukingdog
Railing against non-OSW boards,

Well there goes all my fun... :(