How to make clothes [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : How to make clothes

Jaeger
07-28-2010, 00:47
Hi all
This is my first post here so please forgive if im a little naive.

Anyways, i was wondering if there is any specific way to sew clothes for 1/6 scale figures. Or do you just have to be extremely accurate?

The cloth i am making is a ninja suit that is fairly tight. Im using regular cotton cloth that im gonna spray with fixative (dont really know what its called, the thing chicks have in theyr hair) to make rinkles, and then im going to apply some paint to give it some gritty feeling.

clhuke64
07-28-2010, 01:28
Well,
:welcome Welcome aboard to the madness !!!! The way I started making 1/6 cloths was by tearing apart a pair of pants and a coat to use as a pattern, which I then transferred on to heavy construction paper - "BAM" There is your pattern. Which I still use today - some 10 years later !! Then I can add or subtract from it when you make a new item (ie; baggier pants or a bigger or longer coat !!) Also ask questions from someone who sews 1/1 cloths, when I was starting out sewing, I was having trouble with crouch of the pants and jacket sleeves. Asked my mother how she would do it and problem solved. As for spraying the fabric with hairspray - why don't you use spray starch for cloths ??? would probably work a lot better than the hairspray. :goodluck

Hi all
This is my first post here so please forgive if im a little naive.

Anyways, i was wondering if there is any specific way to sew clothes for 1/6 scale figures. Or do you just have to be extremely accurate?

The cloth i am making is a ninja suit that is fairly tight. Im using regular cotton cloth that im gonna spray with fixative (dont really know what its called, the thing chicks have in theyr hair) to make rinkles, and then im going to apply some paint to give it some gritty feeling.

SavageLucy42
07-29-2010, 10:40
An issue with sewing 1/6 clothes is that you have to think about if that fabric will work with the scale. You can't use the same denim for people pants that you would to make jeans for your figures.

Stretchy things are harder to sew, but easier to "fit" you know. Since they stretch :D

It's sometimes easiest to give yourself a big seam allowance and then trim it off, rather than have your sewing machine eat the edge of whatever you're making.

That's all I've got for now.

Ivan1GFP
08-16-2010, 06:26
Thanks SavageLucy42

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 07:00
Yeah thanks to both of you.

Eyes-of-a-Snake
08-26-2010, 10:21
Couple of tips I have found helpful to me.

1. When battling the crotch seam as clhuke64 mentioned, make the crotch seam BEFORE sewing the outer leg seams, instead of trying to tie the two leg tubes together as a whole.

2. Think WAY ahead of yourself. Try to map the whole thing out piece by piece before you begin. Try not to sew what appears to be easy now, without thinking of what it will make harder later on. I had sewn many different 1:1 items over the years before I started 1:6, and Id have to say 90% of the time, you have to do things backwards from a 1:1 technique.

3. Adding to the above, hem your ends BEFORE sewing seams. For instance, hem the ankle of a pant leg before you sew the outer edge seam.

4. Instead of worrying about the scale of "pattern" fabric, stick to solids only. Later, once the piece is complete, you can come pack with fabric pens to make the pattern you want. This way, it keeps the pattern the scale you want it, and you dont have to fight to align seams to the patern.

5. Make sure you make note on any pattern you keep what body was used to make it. A pattern designed for a Hasbro body will look like a baggy mess on a Hot toys body, and the pattern for the hot toys body will not (in most cases) fit the bulky/cheap hasbro body.

6. Assuming your sewing machine has a zig zag stitch, use the outer left needle position when sewing close to the edge. This will keep the material from bunching and binding into the lower cavity.

I'll post a few more tips as well as patterns later, but I have a few things to do at the moment. Hope these tips help someone......

OH, and Jaeger, I did a 1:6 Storm Shadow for a friend on another forum (I moved and lost it in the travels) to look like the SideShow one a little while ago, and still have the patterns I used if you are interested. PM me, and I can scan/email them to you. I have patterns for inner shirt both long and short sleeves, outer gi, belt, pants both baggy and more form fitting, as well as leg braces and gauntlets.

Redmond
09-20-2010, 08:13
Don't use starch on toy clothing, it attracts bugs with time.

Eyes-of-a-Snake
09-24-2010, 20:20
Ha! Did NOT know that one. Thanks for the tip Redmond.

rokmunky
04-13-2011, 08:40
These are all great tips! Thanks everyone!