Sideshow WWII Premium Format [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Sideshow WWII Premium Format

nikoniko
07-18-2010, 14:56
Not sure if this was posted, but looks like Sideshow is getting in on the WWII action.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=300008

Not sure if there is a market for this, but I applaud them for branching out.

The Great Shaggy
07-18-2010, 15:22
Different

e5sargemac
07-18-2010, 15:28
:gimme:gimme:gimme

Magnificent!!!

graeylin
07-18-2010, 15:35
1:4 scale?

Tatuued1
07-18-2010, 15:59
Kinda nice. Not necessarily a buy, but nice.

doomhammer
07-18-2010, 16:12
Very nice. I used to be a bigtime sideshowaddict and when the 1/4 Napoleon was released a new world opened up for me: mixed media military collectibles!
I begged and begged for more but to no avail. So I ended up with the less popular little 1/6 brother. Luckily, as it has given me tons of pleasure.
Very cool release this one, but I don't see any OSW'er buying it for that money. Better of bashing your own.

HeadRusch1
07-18-2010, 17:04
Guess I'm not seeing the "magnificent" in this piece........looks rather plain to my eyes, actually. Plus, at $300.....I kind of like the idea of being able to pose him. I'll stick to Sixth :)

LizardKing1968
07-18-2010, 17:20
awesome! pricey but doable with their flex-pay..it's a planned series with a british para and american airborne after the fallschirmjager..JUST watch the "related media"video link on the product page and you'll see how HUGE this premium figure is, right besides the designers..

Sideshow Collectibles, Inc. - Battle of Crete: German Paratrooper / Premium Format Figure (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=3000081FLEX&ref=search0109)

Miguel T.

Lazerbeak
07-18-2010, 17:25
Really Sideshow? Do you have to have some add pop up and start talking at me while I'm on your site. Guess that's the last time I go there on a work computer.

e5sargemac
07-18-2010, 17:34
Guess I'm not seeing the "magnificent" in this piece........looks rather plain to my eyes, actually. Plus, at $300.....I kind of like the idea of being able to pose him. I'll stick to Sixth :)

Well he's a WWII German paratrooper. That's about as fancy as they got back then. Of course he's not going to have 200 pounds of Gucci gear on. The outfit looks totally authentic. The MG34 looks awesome. If you notice, they have even done all new skin technique.
As far as the price tag--this is a museum quality static figure, it's not meant to be "played" with.
Personally I think this figure looks worth every penny.

AngryEwok
07-18-2010, 18:00
Well he's a WWII German paratrooper. That's about as fancy as they got back then. Of course he's not going to have 200 pounds of Gucci gear on.

Could have come looking a lot less bland with much more gear. (http://onlinedid.com/products/wwii/80063/)

The Ulsterman
07-18-2010, 18:13
I think this looks brilliant!
I just might be tempted to get this set of figures,...i can't wait to see what they do with the allies.

I must admit though, i always thought the premium format figures could move. :dunno...guess not.

e5sargemac
07-18-2010, 20:26
Could have come looking a lot less bland with much more gear. (http://onlinedid.com/products/wwii/80063/)

He represents a veteran of the Crete campaign. I'm not understanding why people are calling him "bland"?? Because he doesn't have an FG42? Or a Splinter-B jump smock? Or a helmet cover? This is a very typical appearance for a fallschirmjager machine gunner in that time frame.

major.rod
07-18-2010, 21:11
e5sargemac - its the "hollywood" syndrome. Some individuals feel cool equipment = cool soldier. Reality can be anticlimactic. LOL, look how many are screaming for a specific M16 for the HT re-release of Platoon.

I hope these figures are VERY successful. Would like to see more and maybe stuff I like.

e5sargemac
07-18-2010, 22:31
e5sargemac - its the "hollywood" syndrome. Some individuals feel cool equipment = cool soldier. Reality can be anticlimactic. LOL, look how many are screaming for a specific M16 for the HT re-release of Platoon.

I hope these figures are VERY successful. Would like to see more and maybe stuff I like.

Funny you should say. Most people who gripe about this stuff never even served in the military. Soldiers don't walk around w/ 200 lbs of gear ALL the time. This particular FJ is also a machine gunner. It is quite common for crew-served weapons personnel to fight w/ lighter loads.
After watching HBO's The Pacific I talked about it w/ a few friends who said it had a lot of boring "down time". I simply said "that's what it's like! you take it when you can get it! it's not all adventure and excitement!" :p

major.rod
07-18-2010, 23:45
True Sarge. Your points about the machine gunne are right on target. Hauling 25+ pounds of metal and ammo only looks easy. Most folks just don't realize how much and how heavy equipment really is!

As for monotony, the most realistic part about the movie "Jarhead" was the depiction of the mind numbing boredom.

Don't get me wrong. When the bullets start flying its NOT pleasant. Most of the time the combat soldier's lot is extreme physical discomfort, boredom punctuated with moments of sheer terror and anger at an enemy that is often unseen and makes your life extremely miserable. Then when you get to the rear to endure listening to how hard the rear echelon has it in a "combat zone" and how "dumb" you are to be a grunt.

Sorry about hijacking the thread a little niko.

e5sargemac
07-19-2010, 00:09
Then when you get to the rear to endure listening to how hard the rear echelon has it in a "combat zone" and how "dumb" you are to be a grunt.

boy, no kidding :lol

onesixthpolice
07-19-2010, 00:44
So come on now, how many here are going to shell out $324.99 on this figure...I mean, statue?

And if they really want to depict "a true tribute to the heroes of World War II", as they have stated, they should have started with a true hero.... an allied figure. The Germans were the baddies, guys! They were the reason we needed heroes, to defeat them. No matter how "cool" this hobby has made them out to be.

Sgt.Schultz
07-19-2010, 23:44
But Germans sell oh so well...

I guess the same people who shell out big bucks for a Kunstler or Troiani would be the folks Sideshow is going after.

Sgt_Steiner
08-11-2010, 01:50

It looks terrible...
Much too plain...
Much too expensive...
Can't position it...
It's just a statue...

Bought one 5 minutes ago... ;)

So come on now, how many here are going to shell out $324.99 on this figure...I mean, statue?

And if they really want to depict "a true tribute to the heroes of World War II", as they have stated, they should have started with a true hero.... an allied figure. The Germans were the baddies, guys! They were the reason we needed heroes, to defeat them. No matter how "cool" this hobby has made them out to be.

May I ask your age?

>>>

jonny88
09-14-2010, 21:17
l will be getting this. l jumped ship from 1/6 to 1/4. l sold most of my 1/6 stuff and no2 have 4 PFs and this will be one, and of course will go along side there u.s. para. l dont care for 1/6 anymore. to much like toys. but these are big statues and are just awesome.

Sgt_Steiner
09-15-2010, 05:36
I will probably buy the whole set if the first one passes inspection.

>>>

Sgt_Steiner
06-10-2011, 09:19
Careful, there is virtually zero tolerance regarding political commentary.
Check out the forum rules.

>>>

LizardKing1968
06-10-2011, 09:44
this one was previewed over a YEAR ago..it was suppose to be out by MAY this year and yet again it's been pushed back to august. that's why i never pre-order anything from sideshow. don't know why they don't just preview their upcoming releases a few months before hand as oppose to years in advance.
Sideshowtoy?? you're a big FAIL!! thumbs down!

namaste
Miguel

Sgt_Steiner
06-10-2011, 19:03
I suspect this wasn't a particularly popular sideshow item since the exclusive limited edition was only set to 100. (I am one of the 100 so I am personally happy with that).

I don't really know the politics of Sideshow but I am guessing they kept pushing the release date back because of lack of interest? (Originally it was to come out March/April/May???)

Assuming this to be the case, this particular release may truly be for a relatively small niche market and your point from your perspective would have been validated.

However... ;)
From my end of things, I am extremely happy to be one of the 100 "special" people... ;)

Once again it boils down to "different strokes for different folks..."...<shrug>

And as I have said previously, if this first item passes inspection, I would seriously consider collecting the entire set, hip pocket nerve willing...

>>>

Edit...I seemed to have replied in part to a post which had been deleted.

I agree the postponing of the release so many times is not ideal...

Quintus Fabius Maximus
07-07-2011, 11:51
I want one of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LizardKing1968
07-07-2011, 12:09
well i heard from my dealer (timewalkertoys has got it for $314.95 us SHIP included!!) that next month this baby will drop and is pretty sure it wont be postponed again which is good NEWS!! FINALLY!!

with such low production runs and supposely little interest on this badboy i would guess that the brit red devil and us para sideshow had planned to release afterwards might not see the light of day. Here's hoping SS will preview their next one at COMIC CON so i can wait ANOTHER fu#@!ing YEAR to BUY!!!!

Miguel

snake36bravo
07-15-2011, 02:21
Hello everyone. Didn't see an area for introductions but I've been collecting figures and kit bashing since the 90s. I also collect real military items. I've purchased from Sideshow before though mostly fantasy figures prior to focusing on military figures. The Platoon figures they put out were very well done with Sgt. Barnes being my favorite though Chris Taylor was cool too.

The sculpt is very well done with lots of attention to detail you will see on the real items. I mean they even thought to put the pistol lanyard in. The only downside is cost but if it wasn't for that I'd be in line.

In any case I truly hope they do move on to the British and US Airborne counterparts.

LizardKing1968
11-19-2012, 19:46
well new pics are up at sideshowtoy.seems to be the mass production version.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=...000081#gallery

the jump smock seems a bit too green..hoping it's just the lighting on those images. everything else LOOKS GREAT but just wish for once SS proto pics would match the final product..just once!

although the smock is suppose to be a gray-green colour it just looks too green, not sure if this is within the realm of possibility...

Miguel

oscar hertin
12-04-2012, 10:57
after some years waiting for the release of this figure (I did the preorder more than 2 years ago!!!!) finally it arrived home today.It is a nice sculpture!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/1470/img1586n.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/9461/img1589mb.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/2626/img1591s.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/9629/img1601il.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/3606/img1597j.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img651/9698/img1596uc.jpg

AV8TORJoe
12-04-2012, 23:27
Here's mine: John Wayne in the "Flying Tigers" movie.

pukingdog
12-05-2012, 14:00
That is a nice addition to your impressive aviation collection. Good likeness of the Duke.

AV8TORJoe
12-05-2012, 14:46
Mucho Gracias, PD.

onesixthpolice
02-01-2013, 14:39
May I ask your age?

56.....why?

Sgt_Steiner
02-01-2013, 21:24
56.....why?

I asked that question "years" ago...lol...
What brings you back to this old thread?

I like you more now than I did back when I asked you your age...
Keep this in mind...

Why did I ask your age?
Because what you said back then sounded as though it came from a rather naive individual...:nanana

;)
>>>