Thinking of trying my own headsculpting [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Thinking of trying my own headsculpting

blackjax30
04-25-2005, 19:59
BUT... I have no clue where to start. Can anyone either point me in the right direction. Show me a DIY website that I can translate, OR have the patience to walk me through it?

two1bravo
05-06-2005, 17:04
TAKE PICTURES OF A FRIEND OF FAMILY MEMBER, PERFERABLY MALE OR SHORT HAIRED FEMALE. YOU NEED A FRONT SHOOT HEAD ON. EXACT SIDE SHOTS LEFT AND RIGHT (THIS WILL GIVE YOU THE SHAPE OF THE SKULL FROM THE SIDE), CENTER ON THE EAR DIRECTTLY. REAR AND TOP OF THE HEAD LOOKING DOWN (THIS WILL GIVE THE SHAPE OF THE SKULLS PROFILE). TAKE ONE LOOKING UP UNDER THE CHIN TOWARD THEIR FORHEAD. MAKE MEASUREMENTS OF THE DIAMETER OF THE CROWN. DISTANCE FROM THE CHIN TO THE TIP OF THE NOSE. TIP OF THE NOSE TO THE EAR. ANY MEASUREMENTS THAT YOU FEEL WILL HELP YOU. MAKE BLACK AND WHITE COPIES OF THE PICTURES AND DRAW A DIAGRAM DIVIDING EACH FRAME INTO 1INCH SQUARES TO HELP YOU REFERENCE THE PLACEMENT OF THE PERSONS FEATURES. YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE SCALE NEEDED FOR THE SIZE OF THE SQUARES FROM THE MEASUREMENTS YOU TOOK. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE OF CLAY YOU USE BUT A NON BAKING/ AIR DRYING CLAY IS PREFERED. BECAUSE YOU CAN JUST USE A SPONGE AND SOME WATER TO MAKE IT WORKABLE AGAIN. IT IS ALSO EASIER TO CORRECT YOUR MISTAKES. MOST FEATURES OF THE FACE ARE BALL SHAPED IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER. NOSE, CHEEKS, CHIN, AND JAW MUSCLE AREA. TO MAKE THE EYES EVEN AND THE SAME USE A BEED OR SMALL MARBLE AND SINK IT INTO THE EYE SOCKET AREA AND BUILD THE BROW AND NOSE BRIDGE AREA AROUND THEM. GO BACK IN AND MAKE THE EYE LIDS. GET AN ANATOMY BOOK TO LOOK AT BONE AND MUSCLE PLACEMEMT. BECAUSE THESE ARE WHAT GIVE THE FACE AND HEAD ITS SHAPES. FOR CARVING TOOLS CHECK LOCAL CRAFT SHOP. BUT YOU PROBABLY HAVE ENOUGH TOOLS ALREADY THAT YOU CAN USE. MAKE YOUR MAIN OR BIGGER FEATURES WHEN THE CLAY IS WET. LET IT DRY LITTLE AND MAKE SMOOTH BY WETTING A SMALL SPONGE AND MOVE IT BAKCK AND FOURTH UNTILL IT PANS OUT THE INPERFECTIONS YOU DONT WANT. MAKE FINER THINGS LIKE WRINKELS, CROWS FEET, AND FACE PITS AFFTER IT HAS ALREADY HARDENED. AS FAR AS HAIR GOES BUILD UP THE BASIC SHAPES. BRUSH W/ A THICK BRISTLED BRUSH IN THE DIRECTION OF THE HAIR AND USE A NEEDLE POINT AND GO OVER IT AND CARVE IT DEEPER AND AT DIFERENT DEPTHS TO SHOW MORE TEXTURE. ONCE YOU ARE DONE W/ THE ORGINAL SCULPTURE MAKE A RESIN COPY OF AND USE THAT ON YOUR FIGURE NO THE CLAY ORIGINAL.

MikeAP001
06-12-2005, 11:32
Hello,

Here's a link for making Mego custom heads. Just scale it up to 1/6 from 1/12 scale...

http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/resources/head.shtml

Mike

MikeAP001
06-12-2005, 12:37
Oops,

To go from Mego scale to Joe Scale multiply the dimensions by 1.5...

Sorry

Mike