Uniform Weathering Follies [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Uniform Weathering Follies

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:31
Well, I started messing around yesterday with chalk pastels, and I figured I'd post 'em.
I'm using brown on 3-Color Dragon uniform pants since my photo skills are weak, and this combination would show up the best.

I'm using Prismacolor Nupastels. These are non-oil based pastels, so they aren't sticky and are washable. They should be available in singles or as sets at any half-way respectable art supply store. They also make pencils that with water disolve into watercolor paint. I'll be experimenting with those later on.

Here's what to look for:

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:33
I'm giving the tutorial on the hem, even though you'll be seeing the results on the knee of the pants. Hey, it's my first real tutorial. Cut me some slack.:lol

Just apply the pastel to the cloth. The edges will grind the color into the cloth a little more than the flat sides.

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:34
Just like charcoals and drawing, you can smooth out the marks by simply giving it a rub with your finger. You can actually draw the pastels out pretty far this way.

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:35
Using this technique, here's how the knee worked out. The clean knee is for comparison.

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:36
A bit of a better angle...

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:38
To subdue the effect, simply run it under watter. To take more out, use some dishwashing soap, and scrub it.

Lawyers Editiorial: Dawn(tm) does not in anyway endorse this tutorial... but hey, thay backed up a truck of money! I'm not made of stone!

Pivot
03-13-2005, 15:41
Here's a closer shot.

You can then go and re-apply the pastels to a layered effect, building up dirt in select areas, like contact points (knees, pants hems and elbows).

With a machine wash, all the pastel will come out.

That's it guys! Hope I helped anybody who wants to weather cloth.

DoubleTap
03-13-2005, 21:23
Pivot! THANKS man. I have been hoping for a chalk tutorial for some time. I tried doing it to some of my guys but never got the desired effect. I now know I am going to have to remove the uniform first and put a little effort into it. ;) Thanks again.

pukingdog
03-13-2005, 21:29
Does the Dawn also get the residual chalk off yer digit? I know that's your pickin' finger.

NavySF_Blade69
03-13-2005, 23:45
I usually use the Chalks on the WET Bdu... I usually GRIND it into a powder first. However in my personaly exprience ACTUAL DIRT works the best. Wet the Bdu's and place your fingure into the pant legs finger tips around the knees and scrub away (in the dirt) Let dry and then brush away any excess....

Pastels are great to use as DUST as seen in this photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/ZodiacR279/6th%20Scale%20Goods/75th%20Ranger/6thscalesoldier455.jpg
Also like this on with dust on the Radio:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/ZodiacR279/6th%20Scale%20Goods/75th%20Ranger/6thscalesoldier385.jpg

Okay so how do you get it on there? Cush into powder form very FINE use one of those little bowls with the stick... The Name escapes me at this time... I use a hobby knife to scrape the pastels and then grind up the scrapings in that bowl...
I use a small makeup brush to apply the powder.
How do you get it to adhere to the Plastic skin??? I use a thin coat of vaseline or bacon grease and then brush on the pastels powder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/ZodiacR279/6th%20Scale%20Goods/75th%20Ranger/6thscalesoldier458.jpg

Hope this helps a little as well.

Just Clay
03-13-2005, 23:54
I suggested Pivot use cat feces and human arterial blood, but he wimped out and went for chalk pastels. Girl.

Alaska
04-04-2005, 10:44
I use Ash from the fireplace it doesnt colour the cloth much but it takes the shine out of new uniforms:thumb

digger
07-15-2005, 09:03
I've also scraped clothing on a coarse surface (eg. a brick) to give it a more weathered look

Kuroi
07-15-2005, 09:16
I discovered this one by accident - if you dab water on a pair of 3 col BDU'S, then iron them, you get a really cool worn and weathered effect.

Gamilaroi
08-01-2005, 20:18
Just went to Kmart and bought some chalk, Guess who will be doing what after work..:cheers