M1 Carbine Repaint (Bob Dole Project) [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Repaint (Bob Dole Project)

Mountain Trooper
03-04-2005, 16:14
This is the Rifle I'm using for the Bob Dole figure. I've got most of the figure done but have yet to starch and weather the uniform. Hopefully by the weekend ! I repainted this using Liquitex acrylics and Pastels.. I posted it at the new 6th ARMY GROUP WWII board and I thought I'd share it here. Comments/suggestions welcome.
http://myweb.cableone.net/pullens/DOLERIFLECLOSE.JPG

6th Army Group
http://p066.ezboard.com/b6tharmygroup (http://)

PsychoPath88
03-04-2005, 16:17
wow dude...it looks real as hell..sweetness

Clown fart
03-04-2005, 16:23
The gun looks amazing but a Bob Dole figure? Elaborate please.

chippy
03-04-2005, 16:44
Hey M.T, WOW that looks GGGGrreeeaaatttttt,just wondering did you varnish it after you painted it,if so you mention the use of pastels,does the varnish not smudge and spoil the pastel work,wich type of pastels do you use ?I believe there are both chalk and oil pastels available.

Pvt. Ryan HOH
03-04-2005, 18:31
Originally posted by haloed
The gun looks amazing but a Bob Dole figure? Elaborate please.

Bob Dole fought in WW II, he also ran for president.

I believe he had problems with his arm resulting from an injury on Riva Ridge, wich is in Italy, or france, dont remember really.

I want to say he was part of the 10th mountian div but i dont know if thats right.

boot25
03-04-2005, 18:33
Damn Bryan, super nice job!!!

Alyasha
03-04-2005, 18:49
Beautiful repaint . If I may , how di you go about getting the different shades ?
Did you blend them and then drybrush ?

Clown fart
03-04-2005, 18:57
Thanks, I know who he is, I just did not know of his service history.

Mountain Trooper
03-04-2005, 19:25
Thanks for the comments guys... I bought the liquitex paints to try my hand at Boot25's tutorial. I used the Raw sienna and white and made a cream color. I painted the stock that color. As it was getting " tacky " I took a stiff bristled brush and made lateral lines down the length. I then let it dry and by LET I mean I hit it with a hairdryer ! lol I took Burnt Umber and made a wash brushing it along the grain. After dry I painted the metal again, highlighted it and used black pastel for the grip grime and a bit of weathering around the chamber. I'm gonna make up a tutorial on this for the next time around and will post. Thanks again.

The Bob Dole figure is one I've been working on. I do mainly 10th Mtn related stuff. Dole was on the same hill with my Grandpa the day he lost his arm. I emailed the DOLE INSTITUTE OF POLITICS for reference pics. They were interested in displaying the finished figure in April as Bob Dole will be having his book signing there. So mini Bob will meet 1:1 Bob.

Bob Dole was a Lt in the 10th Mtn Division 3rd Battalion Co I. He was wounded near Castel d' Aiano ( HILL 913) in April 1945 (Riva Ridge climb was in Feb). He joined the 10th Mtn as a replacement once they were overseas. They were short on Lt's so he got assigned there.

Zeke_Stone
03-04-2005, 20:37
looking pretty hot

Pvt. Ryan HOH
03-04-2005, 20:49
Originally posted by Mountain Trooper
Thanks for the comments guys... I bought the liquitex paints to try my hand at Boot25's tutorial. I used the Raw sienna and white and made a cream color. I painted the stock that color. As it was getting " tacky " I took a stiff bristled brush and made lateral lines down the length. I then let it dry and by LET I mean I hit it with a hairdryer ! lol I took Burnt Umber and made a wash brushing it along the grain. After dry I painted the metal again, highlighted it and used black pastel for the grip grime and a bit of weathering around the chamber. I'm gonna make up a tutorial on this for the next time around and will post. Thanks again.

The Bob Dole figure is one I've been working on. I do mainly 10th Mtn related stuff. Dole was on the same hill with my Grandpa the day he lost his arm. I emailed the DOLE INSTITUTE OF POLITICS for reference pics. They were interested in displaying the finished figure in April as Bob Dole will be having his book signing there. So mini Bob will meet 1:1 Bob.

Bob Dole was a Lt in the 10th Mtn Division 3rd Battalion Co I. He was wounded near Castel d' Aiano ( HILL 913) in April 1945 (Riva Ridge climb was in Feb). He joined the 10th Mtn as a replacement once they were overseas. They were short on Lt's so he got assigned there.

Thanks for the info and corrections. Take lots of pictures of mini dole meeting 1:1th dole, it will be pretty cool to see....

ScanmanDan
03-04-2005, 21:13
That's one nice M1. It's going to be a sweet figure when it's finished.

Dan

Alyasha
03-04-2005, 21:21
Mountain Trooper ... Thanks for the description .
Going to have to give it a try . Much appreciated .
Once again ... Stunning work .:thumb

Quad.50
03-05-2005, 03:57
How about you paint up say...15 Carbines for me just because I'm cool? Awesome job! Looks freakin' 1:1.

crisibabe
03-05-2005, 04:00
holy da vinci this rifle looks 1/1. great work. :thumb :thumb

LeFusil
03-05-2005, 04:23
oh my gosh, this looks real to me!

One Bravo Four
03-05-2005, 11:45
If it wasn't for the sling...

I'd have said it was real.

Great job.

Doctor T
03-05-2005, 11:50
Wow. Great job.

pukingdog
03-06-2005, 17:29
Hi ho, off to the archives we go.

MarineForceRecon
08-15-2005, 17:01
very nice!

von tunzelmann
04-30-2006, 15:24
What are Liquitex paints> an enamel, oill or acrtlic. I have looked for them in Australia but had no luck?