Painting Wooden Stocks [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Painting Wooden Stocks

combat smurf
02-17-2005, 13:16
Found a good way to paint wood.Not needed much on modern rifles but good for older stuff.Looks ok on wooden shovel handles and the like.
First off,spray the whole thing with white primer,leave over night to dry.
Next take an old hogs hair brush,or one of those really stiff cheap oil painting brushes and load it up with a dark brown oil/acrillic paint.I used valejo dark earth for this.Quickly paint the wooden parts with a liberal amount of paint,you can get a paint drying retarder from valejo to slow the acrillics drying time down.Then simply draw the bristles down the length while still wet.The white primer almost shows through the thinner lines of paint to give the impression of lighter woodgrain.Leave to dry then paint the metal parts with tamiya gun metal(or black)and dry brush with tamiya aluminum to pick out the hi lights.Finally air brush very thinned black around edges for shadow.(or thin washes,just as good)

smurf

billpete
02-17-2005, 13:23
nice!!!!!

looks pretty darn good to me

great job

Alyasha
02-17-2005, 14:34
Beautiful repaint combat smurf .

Can you also repost this thread here ?:

Custom Tips & Techniques

https://onesixthwarriors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=56

I'm sure it will come in handy .

WritinMan
02-17-2005, 15:21
That looks great. Thanks for the tips!

pukingdog
02-17-2005, 16:14
Excellent and simple. I'll copy this to custom Tips.

Monsignore
07-19-2005, 03:47
Copy that, thanks

Yujin
07-19-2005, 14:20
That's wonderful stuuf there Combat Smurf! It's gonna come in pretty useful. Thanks! :D

DJCummings
09-26-2010, 12:39
Good to go Gentlemen, I may use this technique to paint an M1 or M14 stock to go with a Marine in Dress Blues

DJCummings
10-09-2010, 00:46
Before you paint the stocks, try sanding them with a medium to fine grit sand paper and then using a sewing needle to scratch and poke small holes into the stock to weather them.