Question on a gun mod... [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : Question on a gun mod...

joefan68
05-18-2010, 09:23
Hi...I want to shorten the barrel on a shotgun...I dont have a dremel...What are some tips on shortening and re-drilling barrels on guns?...Thanks...

Matt

Broadshore
05-18-2010, 13:54
Normally use a X-acto Saw 235 to cut barrels and such.

You can check at your local Big lots and see they have a Drimal bit set. *The set is like 9.99* It has from really MICRO bits to Drimal large. I just use my 18 volt Harbor and Freight Drill Motor to do the job.

russcal
05-18-2010, 14:21
Heya, Joefan68!

Here's a tip from smaller scale modeling: use a new X-Acto #11 blade (it's the long pointed one).

Here's the blade:
http://www.framingsupplies.com/images/ProEdge/Blade11.JPG

Provided the barrel you cut is solid, put the very tip of the blade (in handle!) in the center of the barrel, then twist handle back and forth between your thumb and forefinger while pushing very slightly. You will see that the blade starts to dig in almost instantly. Don't push too hard, you can break the tip of the blade, or worse, slip and mess up your project, or even worse find out how easily a fresh blade goes thru flesh! How much you twist will detemine depth and diameter of hole.

The other suggestion, and a little more in depth, is to replace the existing molded barrel with either styrene tubing or metal tubing (brass or aluminum). This will give you a realistic looking hollow barrel.

Good luck!

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes