sack coat pattern tutorial [Archive] - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

View Full Version : sack coat pattern tutorial

RainbowAvenue
08-08-2004, 20:49
This is an intermediate to advanced pattern; i don't recommend it if you've never sewn anything before. Try a few other patterns first, then come back to it.

The sack coat was used by both sides in the Civil War. The north used it extensively, while some state troops in the south, like North Carolina and Mississippi, wore them. The same coat was used in the Indian Wars and the Spanish American War.

But if you're not into 19th century, don't worry because the pattern can be adjusted to make other shirts, coats, and jackets -once you see how it all goes together. You will see what i call the "logical order" -- the order peices have to be put together for it to come out right.

I don't do all that great at writing instructions, i hope you can understand them. And i welcome any suggestions to improve the instructions or any body who wants to rewrite them.

RainbowAvenue
08-08-2004, 20:54
The first step is to get the pattern printed out at the correct size. The ruler is scanned in the pattern to help you.

Remember always work inside out, (good sides together) then turn outside out when finished. Notice one part is the pattern for both the front and the lining.

1. Sew 2 backs together along long straight side.

2. Sew fronts to back at shoulders.

3. Fold sleeve in half, and iron so you can find the center easily. Starting at shoulder seam, sew sleeve to shirt body, first down the back, then down the front. Repeat for other arm.

4. Fold collar in half lengthwise. Sew along each end. Turn outside out & iron flat. Fold collar in half, and iron so you can find the center easily. Starting at back center, sew collar to shirt body, first in one direction, then the other. The collar should look upside down while you are sewing it on. You will turn it inside out later. You may wish to do this step by hand stitching.

5. Position the lining along the edge of the front. The end of the collar should be sandwiched between the front and the lining. Sew along the top edge of the lining, turn and sew down the front edge.

6. Turn the lining and collar inside out and iron . Top stitch along the top and front edge of the lining.

7. Hem the cuff of each sleeve.

8. Fold the sleeve over and sew along the bottom, starting at the cuff, working toward the armpit. Repeat for other sleeve.

9. Align the front to the back on one side. Sew together, starting at the bottom working to the armpit. Repeat on other side.

10. Hem the bottom of the coat; turn outside out & you're done.

RainbowAvenue
08-08-2004, 21:03
You can see from the instructions its a pretty complicated project. Here is my finished coat. I used minibrads (from the scrapbooking dept) for the buttons.

cablecommander
08-08-2004, 21:34
Thanks, RBA.

Numbrsix
08-08-2004, 21:49
GREAT tutorial!! :thumb :thumb

This should be archived.

pukingdog
08-09-2004, 11:54
Ba da Boom, Ba da Bing!

SuperPask
07-14-2007, 10:57
Great tuto!!! It gives me ideas for the Civil War figure projects that I've got in mind! I think I'm gonna do some sweing in the following days, hehe :D